Options

Allow Comments in HTML

DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
edited September 3, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hi,

I don't understand why HTML comments are banned, as they really help when coding a page. But not only that, they can be used to help Google index your page - for example, if I want to tell google to not index a part of a page. I've found that "Smugmug" is the second, most 'valuable' keyword to the Google index, which in turn damages my website's listing. My website is supposed to advertise my company which provides School Photography, not Smugmug hosting.

I'm hoping that either the way Smugmug end up with my site having "Smugmug" as a valuable keyword is removed, and that we can use HTML comments so that I can tell Google not to index them mention of Smugmug I have on my site, as it's not what I'm advertising.

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• Options
    jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    DanCarl97 wrote: »
    Hi,

I don't understand why HTML comments are banned, as they really help when coding a page. But not only that, they can be used to help Google index your page - for example, if I want to tell google to not index a part of a page. I've found that "Smugmug" is the second, most 'valuable' keyword to the Google index, which in turn damages my website's listing. My website is supposed to advertise my company which provides School Photography, not Smugmug hosting.

I'm hoping that either the way Smugmug end up with my site having "Smugmug" as a valuable keyword is removed, and that we can use HTML comments so that I can tell Google not to index them mention of Smugmug I have on my site, as it's not what I'm advertising.

Thanks,
    Dan

This is a bug that I know is being worked on. I dont have any updates, but I do have confirmation that HTML commenting is supposed to work correctly and they are working towards a solution
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    Interesting. Following.