Male Myathropa florea Hoverfly, Bumble and Hover in Flight

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited September 5, 2013 in Holy Macro
Shots are all at F11, 1/250th and either ISO 250 or 320 with fill flash. Canon 100mm F2.8L used.

A male Myathropa Florea darting from flower to flower on our potentilla. This one was quite an active one yesterday. Barely stopped for a moment.

IMG_6161.jpg

IMG_6168.jpg

IMG_6174.jpg

IMG_6176.jpg

A bee doing what bees do. Always find exposing bees to be quite tough.

IMG_6166.jpg

Male Syritta Pipens hoverfly. These are tough to photograph in flight however they have one weakness..... Women! (sounds familiar?). Once their intended is spotted, they'll hover on the spot for a good 3 or 4 seconds before darting in on her. That's the time to capture it in flight. I would have photographed the coupling but they decided it was more fun to whizz off over the fence

IMG_6299.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    Wonderful series- lovely light and colour- I see your potentilla is well used like mine.
    Brian v.
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    Thank you Brian. :)

Oh yes, they absolutely love it. Seeing Bees, Wasps (both parasitic and not), Hovers, Plant bugs, spiders and flies on it for large parts of the day. It's quite odd though as I can go out and see it's a hive of activity (no pun intended) and 30 minutes later, not a bug in sight.... then they'll be back a bit later.