Options

HS Football wk 2

MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited September 9, 2013 in Sports
First off - thank you for the great feedback you've previously given me. I very much appreciate it.

So this weekend I shot the Frosh, JV, and Varsity games for our local HS. It was a big weekend here in our town as we faced our cross-town rivals. Unfortunately our team lost all three games... in two cases by huge margins. It's hard to enjoy shooting when you're emotionally attached to the losing team, not to mention the fact that most of the time was spent on defense.

I shot with longer glass this week - 300mm f/2.8 which was great. The Frosh and JV games were in daylight, so I used a TC1.7 half of the time. I loved being able to spend a fair amount of time outside the end zone and still able to cover almost the entire field. Only gotcha is that the 1.7 does make the shots softer than I prefer.

Here are a few to share. Links to full galleries are above.

20130905-ASC_2938-L.jpg

20130905-ASC_3118-L.jpg

20130906-ASC_0484-L.jpg

20130906-ASC_1419-L.jpg

20130907-ASC_0360-L.jpg

20130907-ASC_0741-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    1-4 are very strong images. Well done! 5 doesn't work well for me because there really isn't compelling action. 6 doesn't work as well because the ball isn't in the frame and the shield blocks any view of the face of the QB and the player on your team has leg cut off and face on other side. It's one of those shots where you did your job as photographer, but the resulting shot just isn't compelling. THAT can be frustrating but it's part of the process.

More importantly, your work gets better each time out. You're really doing some nice things here. I think it also demonstrates how a quality piece of equipment (aka D4) can help out - focus, colors, IQ are all there on almost every shot - allows the photographer to not worry about the gear and just focus on the type of shot they want.

Keep up the good work!