Options

Folders and Galleries

majikconmajikcon Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited September 14, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I would like to make my site simple to move around.
Do I have to list Galleries under Folders.
Any help on how to set up my galleries and organize them.
I would like for example
Travel
USA Travel
International Travel
Family and Friends
Family
Friends
Just Because
misc photos

I am challenged!!! :help:help:help

Comments

• Options
    mhcooperphotographymhcooperphotography Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    It is pretty simple ... If you want to make it Very Simple ... do not create any folders ... just create Galleries. The advantage of folders is you could subdivide topics into groups. Here is one example. We go on vacation to a place called Watervale ... So I created a folger for Watervale. I then created folders for each year. Within the Year I have a Gallery for all my pictures and Galleries for all the various families and a couple of folders for misc. things. I put all my pictures in the "ALL" Gallery and I assign a key word to each pictures. Each of the family galleries are tied to a keyword and I make them "smart" galleries. This way pictures are added to the family Galleries. This enables each family to see all the photos at once or to look at there own pictures.

Maybe a little more than you wanted ... but play with it as it is really very simple to create a hiearchy. This makes it easier for people to find your phots.

Mike Cooper
    mhcooperphotography@smugmug.com
  • Options
    rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    majikcon wrote: »
    I would like to make my site simple to move around.
    Do I have to list Galleries under Folders.
    Any help on how to set up my galleries and organize them.
    I would like for example
    Travel
    USA Travel
    International Travel
    Family and Friends
    Family
    Friends
    Just Because
    misc photos

I am challenged!!! :help:help:help

Go into Organize site.

Once there on the upper left, there is a Create button. You can create pages, folders and galleries. Create the folders you want. Create new galleries if you want to. The galleries are created under the highlighted folder. If you have existing galleries you can drag them to the appropriate folder.

You can also rearrange the folders by dragging up or down. Galleries do not have to be under folders. You can also move folders under folders.

Paul
    http://paultavares.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    kathleenkathleen Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2013
    Paul, how did you do your drop-down menu?
    I really love your website. I have been trying to get a horizontal drop down menu for weeks. I try searching and can't find an answer. Yours is the best I have seen. Can you tell me how to get started making this kind of menu or tell me what to search for to find the information.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Kathleen Nelson
  • Options
    dberthiadberthia Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    Creating a dropdown menu is easy, once you know where to look. Edit your menu widget, and open the "Links" tab. Take an item and simply drag it a bit to the right. It will appear as a dropdown item under it's parent.
  • Options
    kathleen wrote: »
    I really love your website. I have been trying to get a horizontal drop down menu for weeks. I try searching and can't find an answer. Yours is the best I have seen. Can you tell me how to get started making this kind of menu or tell me what to search for to find the information.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Kathleen Nelson
    Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for the compliment.

The good news is that what you see is almost all standard SM functionality. The key to the drop down is to indent some of the links to create the submenus. In Customize select the wrench in the links navigation block. Go to the links tab and add links by selecting the plus button. Once you've created a new link drag it up to where you want it. If you want it under an existing link, drag to under the link and slightly to the right. This moving of the link to the right to indent isn't obvious. It seems to me the note at the top of the links dialog box that is there now to help you navigate wasn't there initially.

Let me know if this isn't clear and I'll upload a screen capture.

The only modification I made was to the transparency and background colour. I got this off of one the users either on leftquark's thread http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237930 (which is a fantastic resource) or some other post. There are other codes out there for underlining and other options but I haven't used them. Leftquark's code for changing link colours also changes the colour of the links in the nav bar.

In case you're interested in the transparency and background colour, this is the code and you need to insert it in a CSS block on the Entire site, not in the theme CSS

.sm-user-ui.yui3-menu-vertical .yui3-menu-children, .sm-user-ui .yui3-menu-vertical .yui3-menu-children {
    background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.6);
    }

The 0,0,0 controls the background colour and the 0,6 controls the transparency. Modify to suit.

Hope this helps
    Paul
    http://paultavares.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Hi Kathleen,

The only modification I made was to the transparency and background colour. I got this off of one the users either on leftquark's thread http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237930 (which is a fantastic resource) or some other post. /

I think I got this bit from markmicallef and he does a better job of explaining it in this post,
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240610

Paul
  • Options
    kathleenkathleen Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2013
    Thank you so much, Paul and dbertha. I finally got it to work. What was throwing me off was the linking to "page" wording. I wanted to link to a folder, and for some reason I thought I wouldn't be able to link to anything but a page. Well, I got it and it worked. It's not as pretty as Paul's, but I'm going to try and change the transparency and color. I'll have to wait a while to do that, though, because my brain hurts from all of this new Smugmug stuff. It is coming along, however, and I like it. Thanks again.

Kathy Nelson