thinking of wide angle

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited December 15, 2005 in Cameras
i currently have enough to buy a 70-200 f/4L and am going to. but what am i going to get with all that christmas $$:scratch :D I really love wide angle shooting and i want a decent one because it will be put to use at yellowstone this coming summer. I can't use the Canon 10-22 because its EF-S and i am with a 10D. is the Sigma 12-24 good? or should i go for the Sigma 10-20:dunno with the 12-24 i would have to use gelatin filters. and i'm not so hot on that idea. all you wide-angle shooters out ther, got any suggestions?:scratch

regards,

daniel
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    I have the Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 -- but that's not as wide as the glass you mention. I've heard good things about the Tokina -- worth adding to your list of lenses to look at.

Lee
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    I have the Sigma 10-20 and to be honest, I'm not crazy about it. I don't like the color or the overall sharpness.

It's a shame that Canon glass costs so much. I'd hunt around for a used 16-35 2.8, see if you can find one that's affordable. ne_nau.gif The 17-40 is highly regarded and more affordable, if you don't mind a slightly slower lens. Our landscape pro at Yosemite used one and spoke highly of it, thought it was superior to the 16-35 for his work.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I have the Sigma 10-20 and to be honest, I'm not crazy about it. I don't like the color or the overall sharpness.

It's a shame that Canon glass costs so much. I'd hunt around for a used 16-35 2.8, see if you can find one that's affordable. ne_nau.gif The 17-40 is highly regarded and more affordable, if you don't mind a slightly slower lens. Our landscape pro at Yosemite used one and spoke highly of it, thought it was superior to the 16-35 for his work.
    i'm thinking really low mm because i have to deal with the 1.6 crop factor of the 10Dumph.gif

might consider 17-40, but i really want that WIDE focal length because i already have a 28-105. so maybe the Sigma 12-24, or even the Tokina 12-24 would be for me?
    Daniel Bauer

edited December 12, 2005
    Can you rent them anywhere, give them a test ride?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited December 12, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Can you rent them anywhere, give them a test ride?
    possibly. If someone is trusting enough to lend a 14 year old a 600+ dollar lense. rolleyes1.gif

get my drift?
    Daniel Bauer

edited December 12, 2005
    Got it. I did a quick Google, couldn't find a rental place in KC. You might try calling a camera store, see if they know of any. Then perhaps your folks could help out, be the signee?

I just think that you'd want to try the Sigmas before buying, to make sure you're happy with what you're getting.
    Sid.
    edited December 12, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Got it. I did a quick Google, couldn't find a rental place in KC. You might try calling a camera store, see if they know of any. Then perhaps your folks could help out, be the signee?

I just think that you'd want to try the Sigmas before buying, to make sure you're happy with what you're getting.
    yeah. i always go to the store and test run teh lense before i buy it so i know it works.
    Daniel Bauer

• W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    DanielB wrote:
    i'm thinking really low mm ... so maybe the Sigma 12-24 ... would be for me?
    FWIW, I can vouch for this lens used with a 10D.
    edited December 12, 2005
    FWIW, I can vouch for this lens used with a 10D.
    thanks. i'll call around the camera stores nearby and see who has it in stock so i can go fiddle with it.:D

any suggestions that somebody hasn't mentioned guys?
    Daniel Bauer

• Michael AllenMichael Allen Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    I haven't had any of the sigma's you've mentioned, but I so far I haven't been very happy with my sigma zoom's, but what I've done before is take my camera in the store and take a couple of shots and went home and looked at them to help decide. Unfortunatly, at 14 you might need a parent there or something but its worth a try. Might help.
    -Mike
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Mmmm, renting the Nikon 12-24mm this weekend!

I do hope canon develops it's EF-S lineup to include "L quality" lenses, and it's lamentable that they've designed the lenses to actually damage or be damaged by incompatible bodies.

But, luckily the third party lenses are starting to kick major butt! There exists the Tokina (or should I say Tankina?) 12-24mm DX, which betters the Canon EFS super-wide and is half the price of the Nikon super-wide at (debatably) on-par quality. It's definitely the lens I'll be purchasing once I get the $475. I've done a LOT of research and it looks to be the best. Or if you're really tender with your lenses, like them very very lightweight, and shoot stopped down, the Tamron 11-19mm is a great deal too. It would put you at about 17mm on a 1.6x crop, right?

Take care,
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum