Options

Javascript needed in new SM

hp_girlhp_girl Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited September 17, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
We desperately need a place to put javascript in the new customizations screen. Maybe a tab next to the HTML and CSS tabs in a code block? Too many of us customize our sites with java plug-ins and menus (like Superfish). I have half of my site on GoDaddy's server with all custom HTML, CSS and Javascript and just the client galleries on SmugMug's site so I have to be able to make the SM site look just like my other pages so the appearance is seamless to my clients.

If there is currently a place for javascript I have not found it. When I try to paste my <script> sections into an HTML block, once I click Preview the code is deleted. I'm stuck. Please help.
Angie

Herrington Photography
www.herringtonphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    JS was removed from the user interface. Hopefully it will return someday soon.
  • Options
    DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    It's returning. Just in what form, and when, we don't know yet. And it doesn't sound like Smugmug knows yet either. >.<
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    hp_girl wrote: »
    We desperately need a place to put javascript in the new customizations screen. Maybe a tab next to the HTML and CSS tabs in a code block? Too many of us customize our sites with java plug-ins and menus (like Superfish). I have half of my site on GoDaddy's server with all custom HTML, CSS and Javascript and just the client galleries on SmugMug's site so I have to be able to make the SM site look just like my other pages so the appearance is seamless to my clients.

If there is currently a place for javascript I have not found it. When I try to paste my <script> sections into an HTML block, once I click Preview the code is deleted. I'm stuck. Please help.

Superfish has a bad rep - sort of adware virus. Why do you want to distribute this via Smugmug?

Seems to be indicative of logic for many people NOT objecting to Smugmug's caution on Javascript. Perhaps you can explain?
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    Superfish has a bad rep - sort of adware virus. Why do you want to distribute this via Smugmug?

Wat. Superfish is open source JavaScript code for a dropdown menu. There's no virus inside. You might be thinking of another product.

To hp_girl: You could easily be waiting a year and still not see SmugMug add support for arbitrary JavaScript like that. Use the SmugMug dropdown menu instead, you can probably style it to look just the same as the menu on your existing site, given that the Superfish JavaScript code doesn't do any styling itself.
  • Options
    hp_girlhp_girl Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited September 17, 2013
    Thank you for letting me know SM at least has in their plans to add JavaScript customizations back to the user interface (even if it's a year from now). I did add my Superfish menus without the JavaScript and they appear to be functioning correctly, so Lamah was right that I don't need JavaScript for that (I didn't know that). My last bit that still needs JavaScript is my ShareThis social media buttons. I prefer using my ShareThis buttons over the SM social media buttons because I can track them with the ShareThis analytical tools. May just have to try to make SM buttons look like them and add the JavaScript for their tracking in a year or so when we get Java back in the interface.
    Angie

Herrington Photography
    www.herringtonphotography.com