Those annoying family Christmas update letters . . .

wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
edited December 13, 2005 in Holy Macro
I'll bet you can't stand those people who send out those "here's what we did this year" christmas letters.

Well, I'm one of those people. I'm sorry. I can't help it. My wife made me start 27 years ago and I can't stop (I have no spine - she's the boss). And now I have two son-in-laws who wan't to compete with me annually to see who can out-do the other.

Anyway, here's my silly little title for my silly little newsletter.

48050611-L.jpg

Ornament from our tree with a little photoshop assistance.

I promise, I'll get counselling on the whole annual letter thingy. . . :thwak Just don't ban me from Dgrin because of this confession . .
john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
Edward Steichen

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    nod.gif

I only have one family that sends me those things & its in the bin before i have read the 1st line. They assume i am interested.

Nice photo though.
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    nod.gif

I only have one family that sends me those things & its in the bin before i have read the 1st line. They assume i am interested.

Nice photo though.
    I'll pull your name off the mailing list then . . .lol3.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Hi, wholenewlight
    Nice photo. I noticed in the local stores they will not let there employes say "Merry Christmas" anymore. They don't want to offend anyone. They can only say "Happy Hollidays".
    Post your son in laws photos also and we can vote for who we think made the best one.

Merry Christmas,
    Charles,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    They can only say "Happy Hollidays".
    but that offends me. xzicon_smile_cool.gif
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    15524779-Ti.gif
    I'm generally not very politically correct but if I know someone has a different religious belief - I certainly will respect them and their beliefs.

Christmas is still celebrated on the 25th and I'll give greetings accordingly. To simply toss out the Merry Christmas greetings universally is the "PC pendulum" swinging a little too far for me
    john w

Edward Steichen

• PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    StevenV wrote:
    but that offends me. xzicon_smile_cool.gif
    Me too. The company I'm working for has told us not to say "Merry Christmas" to customers on the phone, in case it offends someone whose beliefs are otherwise. Give me strength. I will tell the idiot management when I leave just what sort of Christmas and every other day I would like them to have: meantime it is exercise discretion and keep the voice down. This PC nonsense has gone too far, it's enough to make me change my name in case the initials get taken wrong. Merry Christmas everybody!!

(Hey Newlight - that is a great letter heading).
  • davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Admitting to your problem is a huge step...but keep going :D

Seems like a decent title to me-- you can take me off the list, too.

R
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Hi John,

I love your letterhead for your newsletter. I, personally, enjoy getting newsletters from the people that I care about and seldom see. That means family, old school buddies and the like. I don't bother to read those from casual friends whom I have never interacted with on a personal level. I can't understand why they include me.

I send a greeting card to all and only include the letter inside the ones to family and "close" friends. I have some old "best friends" from school, previous jobs and previous towns where we lived that I see every 5 years or so. They also get a letter and likewise send me one. We enjoy catching up.

I'm sure your family will enjoy your newsletter. It's worth the time you put into it to "keep in touch".

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Me too. The company I'm working for has told us not to say "Merry Christmas" to customers on the phone, in case it offends someone whose beliefs are otherwise. Give me strength. I will tell the idiot management when I leave just what sort of Christmas and every other day I would like them to have: meantime it is exercise discretion and keep the voice down. This PC nonsense has gone too far, it's enough to make me change my name in case the initials get taken wrong. Merry Christmas everybody!!

(Hey Newlight - that is a great letter heading).
    Some kids bought home a school newsletter up this way last week & the parents complained that it used the word 'christmas' too many times.

I dont have the tiniest amount of religion in me & i couldnt care less about the word...same as if someone said happy hanukkah or ramadan to me. They are said to make the person saying it feel better. Even i say it to people out of habit.

The world has become an odd place all of a sudden i feel.
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    I could care less who doesn't like the word really. They should fight to have their own religions talked about more if they really care that much rather then trying to shut everyone elses down. Besides, christmas is more of a shopping term now then anything. Also I dont say this because I am deeply religions, I am not religious at all. I just figure that people should not be so upset about others religions. It is just another form of racism, only now the color of your skin doesnt matter its what you believe in.

Oh and sorry this is so blunt im not trying to start any battles here. iloveyou.gif