Options

Help with a trip to Alaska

bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
Hi all.......

Planning a trip to Alaska next summer (end of June to end of July).

Approx scenario:

Inside Passage on State Ferries to Ketchikan.

Final ferry destination somewhere on Kenai peninsula (Homer, Wittier, Seward?)

What towns, places, should I not miss along the way? (we have time for several overnights)

From Kenai, a train to Anchorage, rent a car, travel back to Kenai for week (?)

Back to Anchorage (return car) then on to Denali in a RV.

Back to Anchorage and flight home.

Any tips or experiences (small or large) will be greatly appreciated. What little town/s should not be missed, where to stay, eat etc.

Avid photographer here with limited gear. (Canon 6D, 17-40 f4L; 24-105 f4L; pano rig; tripod) I know I could use a longer tele, but it's not in the budget. Most of my work is with a tripod.

The ferry rides of this duration will be new to me. So will shooting from the deck (suggestions? Can I use a tripod?)

Thanks so much in advance,

-Len

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited September 12, 2013
    I'm jealous, Len. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. We did an inland passage cruise back in 2005. Nothing like what you are planning, but it definitely whet my appetite for a more significant journey like what you outlined here. But I need to tell you this. Pick up Canon 100-400 zoom before you go. This is a must. They can be had used for $1200 and then you can sell it for the same price you bought it for and it will cost you nothing but the minor hassle of turning the lens around. I say this because half the reason to go to Alaska is for the wildlife which is amazing there.

Regarding shooting from boats, IS will definitely be your friend. I don't think a tripod will help because the deck will be moving, plus there's vibration from the engines. The tripod will probably just get in the way. I've always done all my shooting from boats hand-held.
  • Options
    kdog wrote: »
    I'm jealous, Len. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. We did an inland passage cruise back in 2005. Nothing like what you are planning, but it definitely whet my appetite for a more significant journey like what you outlined here. But I need to tell you this. Pick up Canon 100-400 zoom before you go. This is a must. They can be had used for $1200 and then you can sell it for the same price you bought it for and it will cost you nothing but the minor hassle of turning the lens around. I say this because half the reason to go to Alaska is for the wildlife which is amazing there.

Regarding shooting from boats, IS will definitely be your friend. I don't think a tripod will help because the deck will be moving, plus there's vibration from the engines. The tripod will probably just get in the way. I've always done all my shooting from boats hand-held.

Thanks Joel.....
    The tele advice is well taken. I will get one, either used or from BorrowLenes (about $165-4weeks). Do you own a 100-400? Sharp enough? Fast enough? Also, I don't use a polarizing filter. Think I could use one?

Again, thanks for the tip(s)

-Len
  • Options
    Len,

The 100-400 has been one of my favorite lenses since purchasing in 2005. I've shot many thousands of frames of wildlife with it during those years. I've use it on 5 different bodies now starting with the 20D, and it's still going strong. It works especially well on my full-frame bodies too. The images just seem a bit sharper and more saturated on full-frame with that lens.

Is it fast and sharp enough for an Alaska trip? In my opinion, it's the perfect lens for that. You'll be ready for eagles or moose with that setup. To be clear, this is not the lens of choice for shooting sports at night. But it's plenty fast enough for any wildlife during the day, and stationary wildlife at sunset.

My 100-400 is still my walk-around telephoto of choice. I also have a 500mm F4, but it requires special planning and logistics to cart that sucker around. The 100-400 is a surprising compact lens. It's shorter to pack than the 400 F5.6. I actually bought the 400 F5.6 prime at one point to compare against my 100-400 at 400mm to see what I was missing. After some careful testing I discovered that you couldn't tell the difference between those lenses at anything other than wide-open (where the prime was marginally sharper). So I sold the prime. The 100-400 is always within reach on hikes or in the car. It's really a no-brainer.

There are quite a few shots with it on my Smugmug site, but they're spread around. However you can see lots of my older wildlife work that was shot exclusively with that lens on my old website here: http://duck.he.net/~jmg/cpg144/index.php?cat=4

Here are a couple of more recent images taken with this lens. The first at 400mm, and the second at 330mm, both hand-held. (EXIF info is on all my images, btw.)

IMG_9601-X2.jpg

_MG_5559-X2.jpg

You'd be dead if you tried to get that second one with your 24-105. :yikes
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2013
    kdog wrote: »
    Len,

The 100-400 has been one of my favorite lenses since purchasing in 2005. I've shot many thousands of frames of wildlife with it during those years. I've use it on 5 different bodies now starting with the 20D, and it's still going strong. It works especially well on my full-frame bodies too. The images just seem a bit sharper and more saturated on full-frame with that lens.

Is it fast and sharp enough for an Alaska trip? In my opinion, it's the perfect lens for that. You'll be ready for eagles or moose with that setup. To be clear, this is not the lens of choice for shooting sports at night. But it's plenty fast enough for any wildlife during the day, and stationary wildlife at sunset.

My 100-400 is still my walk-around telephoto of choice. I also have a 500mm F4, but it requires special planning and logistics to cart that sucker around. The 100-400 is a surprising compact lens. It's shorter to pack than the 400 F5.6. I actually bought the 400 F5.6 prime at one point to compare against my 100-400 at 400mm to see what I was missing. After some careful testing I discovered that you couldn't tell the difference between those lenses at anything other than wide-open (where the prime was marginally sharper). So I sold the prime. The 100-400 is always within reach on hikes or in the car. It's really a no-brainer.

There are quite a few shots with it on my Smugmug site, but they're spread around. However you can see lots of my older wildlife work that was shot exclusively with that lens on my old website here: http://duck.he.net/~jmg/cpg144/index.php?cat=4

Here are a couple of more recent images taken with this lens. The first at 400mm, and the second at 330mm, both hand-held. (EXIF info is on all my images, btw.)

You'd be dead if you tried to get that second one with your 24-105. :yikes

Again, thanks so much Joel for all this insight. This does seem to be the perfect lens for this trip as I begin to research all that is available to see up there. Given this info.... I might try to look into a purchase, although I just spent a lot (by my standards) on the 6D & 24-105. (Although I got a fantastic bundle deal from B&H) If it was up to me alone it would be a done-deal. However I have a wife who is not the spender I am. These two images are fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    Alaska has a lot to offer. I did a bicycle trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks and down to Valdez. We took a tour of the Prince William Sound and ended up at Whittier where we met the van for our trip back to Anchorage.

If you are planning to go to Denali, you will need to decide whether to take the hiker's bus or the tour bus. The difference is the hiker's bus will let you off and pick you up. The tour bus provides a nice way to see most of the major animals. It also goes only about half way into the park before turning around. There are accommodations at the end of the road that I'd love to stay at for a few nights. We stayed in a B&B like place called The Perch before touring the park.

I also liked seeing the town of Delta Junction and Copper River. So much to see and do on that route.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    Hi Len,
    Double-dittos on everything Joel said about the 100-400mm - it's a bit of a nuisance with the push-pull operation, but you get used to it. Definitely a sharp lens.
    I'm still unsure how I talked the wife into the idea - other than to make the case that it did not make any sense to go there (as a serious photographer), without a long tele.
    That and my wife is a real peach anyway!

It also can do some pretty good landscape work at some of the distances involved while cruising fiords.
    These however, are from the (crop) 60D body. IQ should be better on your FF, with a bit less tele of course.
    Alaska-452-XL.jpg

Alaska-460-XL.jpg

We enjoyed the town of Talkeetna http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talkeetna,_Alaska
    Quaint, historical, not too touristy, off the main highway etc.

Fun Fact: (we were told) The Subway Sandwich Shop at the (Parks Highway) entrance to Denali is the highest-grossing Subway in America.... no doubt - a bare-bones breakfast sandwich was $9.00! (2011)

What a great trip to look forward to! .... Plan on taking twice as many pictures as you think you need to - I did not, and I have a small regret as a result.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    Jezze Joel, those pics are AWEsome!!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    Earache wrote: »
    Jezze Joel, those pics are AWEsome!!
    Thanks, man. Love your shots as well.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2013
    Congratulations on your trip...
    IMO, you definitely need a long lens. The 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS lens is always the standby when it comes to wildlife. The 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS lens or Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 VC lens are also a decent choice. A bit short for extreme wildlife but, the L is a great all around telephoto with a more sophisticated IS system and the Tamron is a cost effective substitute.

A tripod is great but, a monopod is also very handy. It can be used effectively on a boat or ship by fabricating a "foot" out of a piece of PVC pipe (wide enough to just fit the monopod foot). Make it about 6-8" long with a cap at one end. Stuff a couple of inches of foam material into the PVC Foot and then insert your tripod. The foam will absorb any vibrations from the vessel. You can loosely secure the PVC Foot with a length of gaffers tape. Another effective way to use a monopod on a vessel is to get a Manfrotto Monopod Belt Pouch...
    http://www.manfrotto.us/monopod-belt-pouch
    By shortening the monopod you can place the foot in the pouch and brace the camera. You, then, are absorbing any vibrations as well a bumps from rough water. This is best used if you have a swivel or ball head on your monopod.

Be prepared for precipitation. It probably won't be very cold but, when I was on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula for ten days at the end of July, beginning of August, it rained every day. Dress in layers but make sure that you have an outer layer that is waterproof or water repellant.
    Fly-in%20015-L.jpg

Also have some protection for your camera. I used a Kata Raincover which worked great...
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/819102-REG/Kata_KT_PL_E_690_E_690_PL_Elements_Cover.html

A less expensive but less rugged protection would be the Optech Rainsleeve. That is the minimum you should have. Using trash bag as a camera cover is tacky and not very efficient...
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=OPTECH+Rainsleeve&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

BTW: a float plane flight can be lots of fun and will give you a feeling for the major travel mehtod in Alaska...

Fly-in%20004-L.jpg

Fly-in%20008-L.jpg

Finally, if I were to visit Alaska again, I would certainly bring a white balance target like the Whibal http://michaeltapesdesign.com/whibal.html to include in every series of shots. The color cast under the gray skies of Alaska can be difficult to judge in editing...

BTW: PLEASE SHOOT RAW!
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2013
    Thanks RP for all your input. Like I just would not have thought about the rain gear for the camera, and I think the white balance card is a great tip also. The mono pod is a must (along with tripod). I get it about the rain, going to prepare in that regard for sure. I always shoot RAW. We were planning some kind of float plane ride but not sure where yet. I'll post more as it develops.
  • Options
    OsteoOsteo Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 12, 2013
    Sitka
    Be sure to make a ferry stop in Sitka, Alaska. I live here and Its a photographer's dream.
    Pictures of Sitka below.

http://willyg.smugmug.com/Photography/Sitka-Alaska/7071816_TknD2h#!i=453136872&k=k5rrqMb