Options

Clean and check

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited September 29, 2013 in Cameras
Am I the only one who feels a little weird bundling things off to Canon? Not because of doubts about the service, but I really hate having to ship instead of just hand stuff over. Kinda like putting kids on public transport all alone. Clearly I need to move to NJ, VA, or CA!!

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 10, 2013
    Diva, I feel your distress, but I have shipped cameras and lenses to New Jersey to CFS many times, with nary a hiccup, even if my nerves were on edge.

My 1series has been there twice this year, and purrs like a kitten. Turn around time was less than 7 days from Indiana and back.

In contrast to my one time getting service from Tamron, which took better than six weeks. My Tammy still works great though since being repaired.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    I think it was watching the way the post office gal handled it. My 7d and 135L are bubble wrapped, double-boxed, sealed (and insured!), but even so. Ah well - I'll hold the good thought. I've shipped things to buyers before and it was fine, it just felt really weird today. I'll be happier when tracking shows it's in their hands - after that any unexpected issues are on their dime! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    Diva I have felt the same way, have sent several times to Nikon repair full of anxiety. All return OK.
    It was much better when I discovered a professional repair service in my hometown. Wanted to have my 200mm f2 serviced but just could not ship it, better to drop it off at the shop but still had separation anxiety til it returned
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2013
    Ok, it got there ok but CANON FAIL.

I just got their repair estimate pdfs.

- 7d As requested, check focus and fix any problems, estimate for repair correct.
    - 135L clean and check only. BUT THEY APPLIED THE SAME REQUEST AS TO THE 7d and listed it for "repair". There's nothing wrong with it, and I only wanted it cleaned!

I had a CLEAR cover letter explaining exactly what I wanted. If that weren't enough, I had also enclosed 2x clean and check vouchers.

Fixing this required 15 minutes on the phone, and the the woman at Newport News was polite (sort of), but less than warm and fuzzy. Aaparently, I should have filled out an online service request form (which I didn't know about, and which was not mentioned when I called to enquire whether they needed vouchers for both items). I guess a cover letter is too hard to read??!?!??!

This will now add a day to its return.

Grizzle, grumble, gripe, growl, grrr.

/rant
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2013
    Canon NJ doesn't always do things right. I've had CPS ship a 1Dx to me and not put "SIGNATURE REQUIRED" First think I did was call FedEx to bitch at them.. They told me it wasn't selected. Next was to call Canon. They acknowledged the problem and sent me a $100 repair certificate. Question is, had the box disappeared would they had replaced the camera????
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2013
    THEY MISTYPED THE RETURN ADDRESS.

It's going to somebody else. R&!P&#!#*)!{*#I@$*@&$(){!@*$&@(%*@($*(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am beyond pi***ed - they have made an absolute HASH of this.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    divamum wrote: »
    THEY MISTYPED THE RETURN ADDRESS.

It's going to somebody else. R&!P&#!#*)!{*#I@$*@&$(){!@*$&@(%*@($*(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am beyond pi***ed - they have made an absolute HASH of this.

Canon Repair should be able to redirect the package from their end. In the mean time, insist on an equivalent loaner system. Be firm and as reasonable as possible, but do insist. Talk to a supervisor if needed.

Turn the negative into a positive. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    According to Fedex, they have changed the address, so that's one problem solved (even if it did take me 4 phone calls: 2 to CPS, and 2 to Fedex to follow up and check it).

I will most assuredly be writing them a, uh, strongly-worded letter about all that's happened with this. That is WAY too many mistakes at their end for one simple shipment. :bash
  • Options
    And thanks. The smoke may have stopped coming out of my ears now rolleyes1.gif Wow, it has been a DAY (other fires to put out as well as this one!)
  • Options
    ... Wow, it has been a DAY (other fires to put out as well as this one!)

I have whole years like that sometimes. rolleyes1.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    It sure feels like that sometimes! Sheesh - full moon, or something?!
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    Hey, at least the one good thing about the new CPS structure is clean & checks will be done in the same period as normal repairs. So if you are a platinum member, your clean and repair will happen in 2 days and back to you. Before it was "at their leisure."

I'm just happy my renewal date is Oct 1. I completely lucked out. They're giving platinum members a 6mo extension on Sept 30th. Whew...
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2013
    I am gold, not platinum (frankly, even with the 6 more points or whatever I need, I'm not sure I could justify the platinum dues - I just wouldn't get my money's worth out of it, particularly with the changed terms).

I'm still ticked about all this. One mistake per order is just bad luck, but TWO, both of them significant ones?! Not only the time involved in rectifying the errors, but potentially loss/damage to the items through THEIR errors. Also, since the correct address is typed into my CPS account (I checked, of course), it does seem odd they don't link label-printing to the information on file; they have the CPS#, so why make all the extra work for themselves - isn't this exactly the kind of thing that computer automation makes more accurate and streamlined?! Grr.

No response to my email to them complaining about the service (and don't worry - it wasn't offensive or abusive, simply a fairly fierce explanation of the facts!!); if they ignore it, I'll escalate it somehow, but I'll give them a day or two... :D
  • Options
    UPDATE: CPS has come through and made it right, to my great surprise. They did not reply to my email, but the manager just CALLED me to apologise profusely. Just the fact it was a personal call (not a "follow the corporate handbook/flowchart" kinda thing), that she 10000% acknowledged their major goofs, and that she volunteered compensation turned this around from "I will never use NN again" to being more than willing to give them my business. They have waived the charges already paid, given me a direct line to call for any future problems, and generally turned this situation around 100%. Colour me impressed (and surprised)!
  • Options
    UPDATE: CPS has come through and made it right, to my great surprise. They did not reply to my email, but the manager just CALLED me to apologise profusely. Just the fact it was a personal call (not a "follow the corporate handbook/flowchart" kinda thing), that she 10000% acknowledged their major goofs, and that she volunteered compensation turned this around from "I will never use NN again" to being more than willing to give them my business. They have waived the charges already paid, given me a direct line to call for any future problems, and generally turned this situation around 100%. Colour me impressed (and surprised)!

Wonderful news. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2013

good that the Virginia center corrected things
  • Options
    dickdick Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited September 22, 2013
    I have a Canon body and lens that I would like to have repaired and cleaned.

Does one call Canon and get a return authorization or just ship it to them with a note and contact information?
    edited September 22, 2013
    dick wrote: »

Does one call Canon and get a return authorization or just ship it to them with a note and contact information?

I recommend using their online system just so that you may have a written history of the request and transaction. Canon will communicate via e-mail and you will get a written estimate before repairs begin.

In the USA:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer?pageKeyCode=onlineRepairLanding
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2013

I agree with Ziggy, contact them first online before shipping it
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2013
    Agree - use the online service. This is, in fact, what they recommended to me AFTER the fact - I had called them and they said "just send it in with a cover letter/vouchers etc", but after they screwed up the estimates, they said "you should have logged it online and then sent it". So... based on my experience, definitely go with the online system.
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2013
    I live within a couple hours of the VA repair center. I asked if I could drop off a lens that I had demo'd last summer and they no as there is not store front presence and I needed to ship it. I would like to demo the 400mm f2.8L IS II but it would expense to ship back because of the weight and insurance.
  • Options
    photodad1 wrote: »
    ... I would like to demo the 400mm f2.8L IS II but it would expense to ship back because of the weight and insurance.

Still, a demo is a lot cheaper than a rental or (OMG) purchase. (It's an $11,000USD lens.) mwink.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    CPS wanted me to ensure it for 18K.
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2013
    I live within a couple hours of the VA repair center. I asked if I could drop off a lens that I had demo'd last summer and they no as there is not store front presence and I needed to ship it. I would like to demo the 400mm f2.8L IS II but it would expense to ship back because of the weight and insurance.

While there is not a "store front" I know you can enter and drop off equipment at the Virginia, Newport News facility. And get quotes on repairs
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2013
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    While there is not a "store front" I know you can enter and drop off equipment at the Virginia, Newport News facility. And get quotes on repairs

Where is it located and the hours?
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2013
    Where is it located and the hours?

On Canon Blvd - normal business hours

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/standard_display/support_pro/pro_service-locations

you have to get a pass at the main gate for the camera facility. I (and many others) have had no problems going in and getting a quote or dropping off equipment
  • Options
    dickdick Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I recommend using their online system just so that you may have a written history of the request and transaction. Canon will communicate via e-mail and you will get a written estimate before repairs begin.

In the USA:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer?pageKeyCode=onlineRepairLanding

I will call them in the morning.

The Web form does not list the model of camera that I have. According the the canon manual I have in my hand the model is a 350D but I can't seem to find that in the list.

Also, I would like to have them look at a lens as well.

Thanks for your help
    edited September 29, 2013
    I will call them in the morning.

The Web form does not list the model of camera that I have. According the the canon manual I have in my hand the model is a 350D but I can't seem to find that in the list.

Also, I would like to have them look at a lens as well.

Thanks for your help

Sadly, the used Canon 350D/XT bodies sell for just over $100 for a black body and the chrome bodies are under $90 (EX condition), at KEH.com. It is doubtful that you will be able to get an economical repair, so you might consider another used body instead. (Private sale value of an XT body is probably around $50, so Craigslist is also a possibility if you live near a major city.)

http://tinyurl.com/mgr83ko

While you visit KEH be sure to check the value of your lens as well.
    ziggy53