Options

Wide Angle Wamblings

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited August 26, 2004 in Landscapes
A bunch of shots culled from the last two weeks of shooting wide angle material.

This first one's a cheat - I had to crop it to make it work. So it's not really wide angle anymore. But I do get credit for knowing that this was the effect I wanted. :D

7639677-L.jpg

I had hoped to get inside a church on Sunday and do some stained glass shots. Something's changed since I last went to the movies - didn't churches used to keep their doors open all the time, as sanctuaries? I hit three of 'em, and they were all locked-up on a Sunday late afternoon. So I shot walls in the city, instead. This one's kinda funky. No crop, no tinting, just contrast and saturation, plus a tiny bit of cloning.

7641734-L.jpg

I saw other walls too. I kinda liked the orange of this one. Just a litte saturation action, here. At first I thought this was a good idea. Now I think otherwise. But heck, since I went to all the trouble...

7641414-L.jpg

Then I went to the park. It was a gray day, not terribly exciting. This would be a much better shot if done at dawn, with the light on the city. Also, I'm really not very good with the transform tool for straightening buildings.

7643492-L.jpg

This is the mandatory kid shot from the park.

7642916-L.jpg

I have a couple more, I'll post 'em later.
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    Really like the first one.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited August 23, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Really like the first one.
    I like the first one the best also Sid. I did not get much shooting done until yesteday - Sunday - but I did gather a few interesting shots. NOW I am SEEING reflections for some unknown reason rolleyes1.gif

From downtown --
    7639110-L.jpg

And another

7639112-L.jpg

I almost entered the 2nd one for the WA challenge, but changed my mind at the last minute.

I like your door also Sid. Here is one of mine in turquoise...

7639114-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    Thanks, Damonff.

Cool shots, PF. Must have been a tough choice to not use the second one in the challenge - it's really good. The reflections in both are perfect... that's nice work. Looks like you're really getting into urban shooting, huh? I really like that powerful, angular shadow in the door shot - it fits the rest of the image perfectly.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks, Damonff.

Cool shots, PF. Must have been a tough choice to not use the second one in the challenge - it's really good. The reflections in both are perfect... that's nice work. Looks like you're really getting into urban shooting, huh? I really like that powerful, angular shadow in the door shot - it fits the rest of the image perfectly.
    They are locking churches these days - I guess that says something about modern America - not sure what tho.

I am glad you like the reflections, they were so lovely in person. The pictures are really a poor second cousin of the real thing. The nice thing about the angular shadow of the turquoise door was that I did see it before I shot it and planned my exposre to capture it. Maybe that means I am making a little progress.

I was frustrated by the WA requirement for while - and then Sunday morning shooting the reflections I reallized the 28-35mm WA was just the ticket for urban shooting. I had been trying to use a 15-17mm - and that is really Ultra-Wide which is a whole different game I think - better for the whole baseball park.

I liked your colored door too. Ginger has been running a thread for doors, windows, and rooftops that is a lot of fun. Come join us.thumb.gif

• Options
    edited August 25, 2004
    I thought about putting this in the doors and windows thread, but figured it was too much of a stretch. This is one of thos eshots that seemed like such a great idea at the time. The excecution isn't quite what I had hoped, although it's not too bad.

7640345-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2004
    7642409-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    7642409-L.jpg
    WHen the sun breaks through the overcast sky, lovely light can bring out the best in a subject.1drink.gif I have taken to looking forward to rain because of the interesting backdrops the sky creates