Options

Collage portrait ordering issues

martintylermartintyler Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited September 13, 2013 in Bug Reporting
There are two issues with collage portrait gallery style. Once cosmetic and one more of a bug in my opinion.

Before the new smugmug came along I had implemented my own collage portrait like javascript gallery. The way I did it was to go through the photos in the order they should be and place them in the column that is shortest current set of photos. This means when you get to the bottom of the gallery the bottom edge is not as ragged as it might be. Smugmug does this the simpler way, just allocating each photo to the next column, which means the bottom edge can be very ragged if you get a few portrait photos in the same column.

Neither method really keeps the photos in the 'right' order, which is an inherent problem with this style of gallery - but I prefer my method, it keeps related photos (as defined by their incoming order) nearer to each other.

The other issue, the bug, is that when you open up the lightbox and flick through the photos that way, Smugmug does not show the original order, it shows the screen order. Ie if one column has a portrait image, the photos below it are obviously pushed down, and if they then fall below photos in other columns it will be shown after them in the lightbox view, even if they were before them in the original order.

As I said, this style of gallery is naturally going to mess with your order - but in my opinion that should only be true of the gallery view, not when you are in the lightbox where it should respect the original order.

If you don't understand this explanation I will post an example