Options

canon 60 d lenses

noobnoob Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited October 2, 2013 in Cameras
Hi guys,
I,m looking to buy a canon 60 d dslr with the standard 18 - 55 mm lens. I was also looking at purchasing an addtitional lens . I would mostly be using my dslr to shoot wildlife, scenery etc during treks , and i am also looking to click pics for my family functions as well. Could u suggest some good lenses ?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited September 13, 2013
    A rather excellent pair for any Canon crop 1.6x/APS-C body (like the Canon 60D), IMO, is the:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Both are excellent image quality and together cover a very wide range of FOV as well as wide amount of subject matter and scenes.

If too pricey:

Tamron SP AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]
    Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro

... both in Canon EOS mount, of course.

If you intend to use the "kit" lens for your standard zoom, the:

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II

... is fairly similar in image quality and pretty cheap too. Not the best but not too bad either.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 17, 2013
    The 70-200 f/2.8 IS version 1 is also a fine lens, no longer available new, but used ones go for just over half the price of a new copy of version 2. There tend to be a fair number of these available on the used market from people upgrading to version 2.

--Ian
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    I have been impressed with the other commonly bundled Canon kit lens ~ Canon EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS. It retails for approx. $500, but I see them frequently - used - for $250-$300, It out-performs that price point, IMO.
    The Canon 70-200L can't be beat, but, if you don't absolutely need the f2.8, the f4L IS model is much less expensive and the f4L non-IS even more so. Super easy to handle and transport compared to the f2.8L and very available, used.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    For trekking and family functions I often prefer my 50mm f1.4. It is lighter and smaller than the EF-S 17-55. Less intimidating and awkward in social situations. Can work in poor light without using a flash. And it takes equally good or better images.

Noob, for wild-life you probably want something longer than 200mm.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    The new 40mm 2.8 pancake lens is supposed to be terrific, and is very affordable at under $200; terrific addition to the kit lens, or any walkaround zoom. I've seen WONDERFUL shots from it, and it supposedly has better AF than the other "budget" prime, the 50 1.8.

Add another vote for the 70-200L f4 non-is. I HATED selling that lens as it was near-perfect - lightweight and sharp sharp sharp. (I only sold it to fund purchase of the 70-200 II - which was definitely the right decision for me - but I so miss the smaller, lighter sibling!)
  • Options
    photogreenphotogreen Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2013
    noob wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I,m looking to buy a canon 60 d dslr with the standard 18 - 55 mm lens. I was also looking at purchasing an addtitional lens . I would mostly be using my dslr to shoot wildlife, scenery etc during treks , and i am also looking to click pics for my family functions as well. Could u suggest some good lenses ?

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is probalby the best in terms of image quality, but expensive and heavy. You may wanna consider Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L too. Sigma and Tamron are great alternative to Canon, if the budget is tight.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2013
    noob wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I agree with the others, one of the 70-200 versions is good although for most wildlife you will eventually want more focal length.
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2013
    I paid $147.- for my Canon 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens and it's a hit. This picture is handheld without flash with the pancake mounted on a 5Dmk2:
    5D-9450-XL.jpg

For wildlife we use a 70-300L and a 100-400L
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2013
    DeVerm wrote: »
    I paid $147.- for my Canon 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens and it's a hit. This picture is handheld without flash with the pancake mounted on a 5Dmk2:

For wildlife we use a 70-300L and a 100-400L

the 40mm pancake is good, probably better for full frame models than crops
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2013
    I agree better on FF than crops...
    I have a 40mm f/2.8 lens which I use on my 1.6x cameras and I find the focal length pretty darn awkward. It is neither wide enough nor long enough but, somewhere in between.

The only nice things about it are the price and the size.