Options

Folders only show up in alphabetical order

Red Bridge PhotoRed Bridge Photo Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited September 25, 2013 in Bug Reporting
I have a listing of folders at the top of my page (using for weddings) so the title is the bride and grooms names. In each folder is the galleries from their bridal, engagement and wedding sessions. They only display in alphabetical order. Any way to change that? I have unselected them all and added them back in chronological order (actually reverse chronological) because I wanted the more recent folder to show up listed first and it keeps changing the order back to alphabetical.
Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    UbraneUbrane Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2013
    Can't you go in the "organize site", select your folders and sort them manually? (drag and drop)
    I don't use folders but it works just fine for my galleries.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    Make sure the sort is set in the organizer for the folder you are trying to sort manually.

See sorting section of this help page - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1210667-organize.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Yes - I organize them within a "weddings" folder then in the customize I tell it to display only the folders I choose. Then when it displays them on the page it puts them back in alphabetical order
  • Options
    well I chose to display from within a folder then selected the weddings folder and THEN it displayed in the right order. FIXED this problem just took me 3 times to tell it to do it this way under customize before it finally did it right.
  • Options
    JayTJayT Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2013
    Having the same problem. Despite it looking correct in the organizer, when I browse to the folder, the galleries are not sorted the way I want them. I can repeatedly go back into the organizer and it looks right, just not when I view the folder. I've tried a bunch of different ways of sorting; manually, creation date, last edit date, etc... It always displays in the folder by last edit date.
  • Options
    James LyallJames Lyall Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2013
    JayT wrote: »
    Having the same problem. Despite it looking correct in the organizer, when I browse to the folder, the galleries are not sorted the way I want them. I can repeatedly go back into the organizer and it looks right, just not when I view the folder. I've tried a bunch of different ways of sorting; manually, creation date, last edit date, etc... It always displays in the folder by last edit date.
    Also found the same unpredictable behaviour. Eventually sorted, but I'm not sure how I did it!
  • Options
    JayTJayT Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    This seems more like a bug than about customization help.
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    One other problem is even with a setting of Manual Sort in the organizer, galleries and pages can't be arranged before folders.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    One other problem is even with a setting of Manual Sort in the organizer, galleries and pages can't be arranged before folders.

Cheers,
    Did you try a "folders, pages, galleries" box and "Items I choose"? I think the order you pick them is the order you get.

I tried it here and was able to add folder, gallery and page in order I picked.
    BTW, it won't let mbe publish, says I have something unsaved. But don't even have the tools on the box showing.
    EDit: Finally got it to publish.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Thanks Allen!

That solves the problem of having to click through to a gallery in a folder to get the right order.

EDIT: I was premature. It works (just like OP described) in preview mode but when you publish it it doesn't stick.
  • Options
    Thanks Allen!

That solves the problem of having to click through to a gallery in a folder to get the right order.
    Added screen shot in last post.
  • Options
    Thanks Allen!

EDIT: I was premature. It works (just like OP described) in preview mode but when you publish it it doesn't stick.
    Mine stuck, folder, page, gallery, gallery, page.
  • Options
    After about fifteen tries, changing settings to get it to refresh, then back again.
    I finally got it to stick. I'm happy I got the setup I wanted, but it shouldn't be so hard.

Thanks again Allen.

Cheers,
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    Ok, so what was the code to open those single galleries?
  • Options
    Allen wrote: »
    Did you try a "folders, pages, galleries" box and "Items I choose"? I think the order you pick them is the order you get.

I tried it here and was able to add folder, gallery and page in order I picked.
    BTW, it won't let mbe publish, says I have something unsaved. But don't even have the tools on the box showing.
    EDit: Finally got it to publish.

See Allen's post above.
    I went into customize and on my gallery page used this page only and in the folder, gallery and page block changed the setting to items I choose.
    The order you pick them is the order you get. You can pick the gallery instead of it's folder.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I think by adding the gallery along with folders provided the single click.