Options

Password-protected client galleries?

milkweedphotomilkweedphoto Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited June 1, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I was really excited, initially, with new SM because it appeared as though I could finally have this set up:
  • Family/friend galleries that are unlisted--pass-word protected at the top folder level (one password gives access to the whole Family/Friend area)
  • Client galleries that are password-protected and from which clients cannot breadcrumb their way into my personal galleries--password-protected at gallery level (each having a different password)

Right now, in visitor view, the landing page for my family galleries (unlisted) looks blank, and the landing page for my client galleries (password-protected) has big gray boxes with blue question mark icons. The only way I can see to make all of my thumbs and the keyword-based smart gallery (and my logo) on my homepage appear is to make everything on the whole site--including my graphics files for the logo--completely public. (???) :scratch

Am I missing something obvious? I feel like I've, at great length, played with every permutation of permissions in the Organize tree and I am not seeing a solution. Half of the photos for my homepage aren't visible. They come from a smart folder (under construction) that, even though I checked to include unlisted/private photos, doesn't show those photos.

How is anyone else achieving client galleries that are password protected yet still show a thumb or featured photo? I'd like my clients to see the "Featured" photos for each gallery when they go to the "client" page. Looks awful to see a page with a bunch of gray boxes and missing photo icons, but I want them to see a peek of my other work.

My site: milkweedphotos.com.

TIA for any thoughts or advice!

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2013
    For my passworded galleries everything in their settings is set to public especially External Embedding (external links on).
    The gallery password overrides any of the public settings but External Embedding on is important for the gallery photos
    to be used for any site images like for folders.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Password-protected client galleries?
    And you can see featured photos in the visitor view with this set up? I've tried so many combinations that I can't remember what happened when or if I tried that.

And I see what you are saying about external embedding. But while I want client photos to be able to appear on, say, my homepage or as a featured photo for a gallery, I don't want external embedding enabled. I want them to pay for downloads of full res files.
  • Options
    And you can see featured photos in the visitor view with this set up? I've tried so many combinations that I can't remember what happened when or if I tried that.
    You might have to set the feature photo for each passworded gallery. It might not be automatically
    done on these galleries. I don't think users would want a feature photo showing unless they specifically
    want one.
  • Options
    Hmmm. You are saying you think it's better for client galleries to be completely private. In that case I would want just a text link. I don't want a big gray box with a missing photo icon. O a little gray box.

Besides, my default agreement is I am able to use client photos for marketing purposes unless there is an expressly made exclusion. I want to protect the bulk of photos (especially since I photograph children and babies and maybe even nursing moms or moms that don't want postnatal photos shared publicly), but I do want to show one benign featured photo for each gallery.
  • Options
    Hmmm. You are saying you think it's better for client galleries to be completely private. In that case I would want just a text link. I don't want a big gray box with a missing photo icon. O a little gray box.

Besides, my default agreement is I am able to use client photos for marketing purposes unless there is an expressly made exclusion. I want to protect the bulk of photos (especially since I photograph children and babies and maybe even nursing moms or moms that don't want postnatal photos shared publicly), but I do want to show one benign featured photo for each gallery.
    For every gallery you can select a feature photo from anywhere on your site under gallery settings. I've
    created an unlisted gallery for special thumbs/images to be used just for feature photos.
  • Options
    ceasleyceasley Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    Is this what you're looking to have: http://www.colleeneasley.com/Clients In this case I just left the security setting as public, but added a password. Then I specified the feature photo I wanted for each gallery.
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

Photography is my vehicle for discovery!
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2013
    Yes Colleen. That is *exactly* what I was looking to do. Thank you!

After posting my freak-out I achieved this as you did--making my upper level "personal" folder public and then password protecting each gallery below. I guess I should have waited to post till I was out of panic mode. :-\

Allen, anything that is in an unlisted gallery is--for me--not showing up at all when I log out. I am just seeing a blank space. I would like to have my graphics files (logo, watermark should I choose to use them) unlisted. So now I can't get my logo to appear when I log out. And any other unlisted galleries (like my homepage smart folder) are blank when I log out. Grrr. I feel like if this were the case for everyone, more people would be asking questions about this. Maybe I tweaked something somewhere?

I feel like I've gotta be missing something obvious. My homepage (milkweedphotos.com) has nothing but navigation on it. I even changed my logo folder and homepage gallery to public but I am still seeing nothing but words.

(My SMugmug is actually past my renewal date so I'm feeling under the wire. Apologies for my panicked tone.)
  • Options
    Yes Colleen. That is *exactly* what I was looking to do. Thank you!

After posting my freak-out I achieved this as you did--making my upper level "personal" folder public and then password protecting each gallery below. I guess I should have waited to post till I was out of panic mode. :-\

Allen, anything that is in an unlisted gallery is--for me--not showing up at all when I log out. I am just seeing a blank space. I would like to have my graphics files (logo, watermark should I choose to use them) unlisted. So now I can't get my logo to appear when I log out. And any other unlisted galleries (like my homepage smart folder) are blank when I log out. Grrr. I feel like if this were the case for everyone, more people would be asking questions about this. Maybe I tweaked something somewhere?

I feel like I've gotta be missing something obvious. My homepage (milkweedphotos.com) has nothing but navigation on it. I even changed my logo folder and homepage gallery to public but I am still seeing nothing but words.

(My SMugmug is actually past my renewal date so I'm feeling under the wire. Apologies for my panicked tone.)
    To use any photo outside an unlisted gallery external links/embeddable has to be on.
  • Options
    Thank you for your help. I DID manage to get my logo (unlisted) to appear by changing the embeddable links setting. You mentioned that when I first posted and I think I was overtired and the words were all blurring together. Thanks again.

Still, my homepage gallery isn't showing up when I log out. I have made it public, checked and unchecked the box and rechecked the box in the smart gallery settings that toggles whether to show unlisted or private photos. I made sure embeddable links was ON in the original gallery. I emptied the Safari cache. Still, not appearing. I will play more with it.

Thanks again for your help!
  • Options
    I'm just not clear why you would make your homepage gallery anything other than public. If you don't want people to link out to the gallery, just choose LIGHTBOX as the action for when they click a photo. (as I have done on my homepage). And even if it is public, make sure it isn't in a folder that is unlisted, or it will inherit those settings. I"m a little confused as to what exactly you're doing (or not doing), but maybe start by creating a new public folder and put your homepage gallery in that. Then edit your customize info to update the link.
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

• Options
    edited September 16, 2013
    Thanks again for replying.

My homepage gallery WAS public, was in its own public folder--after much fooling around. I agree that the homepage gallery would be public, unless I planned to have my entire site locked down and totally private. The issue was that the folder, a smart folder based on a keyword, was pulling from unlisted and password-protected galleries. (In every combination up and down the organization tree at some point during this last week.)

But the problem was that in one of the customize sections I'd chosen "Keyword" instead of "Gallery" or "Multiple Photos" at some point in my screwing around with things (when, probably, my gallery was pulling form unlisted galleries that may or may not have had the embed toggle the right way) instead the the gallery I'd created.

:hide

All solved! User error. Though, I don't see why unlisted galleries wouldn't be viewable if I logged out unless it was password protected. I thought the point of unlisted was that only people with a direct link could see the pages--not that it was hidden from view. Eh. Doesn't matter so much. It works. That's the important thing.

In case anyone comes across this thread and has a homepage or other keyword/smart gallery pulling from other unlisted or private galleries: the embedding things seems to be key.

Now on to figuring out how to get my fonts to not be cut off by the container without having padding options in the layout customization...
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2013
    You can display photos from an unlisted gallery. My home page consists of photos pulled into a smart gallery based on the keyword 'homepage, and they come from galleries that are unlisted.
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

• Options
    SudiSudi Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 21, 2014
    Thanks guys for the conversation, it made a few things clear to me. Even so I cannot make my unlisted galleries appear with custom design. They have the same grey/green SmugMug look. Do you have any idea how I can set them to look like every other page on my website? Colleen, you made it somehow (at least your list of private galleries looks like the rest of your website).
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2014
    Sudi wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the conversation, it made a few things clear to me. Even so I cannot make my unlisted galleries appear with custom design. They have the same grey/green SmugMug look. Do you have any idea how I can set them to look like every other page on my website? Colleen, you made it somehow (at least your list of private galleries looks like the rest of your website).
    Under gallery settings make sure "hide owner" is off. On legacy there was a toggle for "appearance" and
    it needed to be set to "custom" and not "Smugmug" to get customizations to show. I can not find that
    toggle on NewSmug.

Is the theme set in the unlisted gallery the same as the rest of your site?
    Unlisted galleries will not show to the public in any folder box.
  • Options
    SudiSudi Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 21, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Under gallery settings make sure "hide owner" is off. On legacy there was a toggle for "appearance" and
    it needed to be set to "custom" and not "Smugmug" to get customizations to show. I can not find that
    toggle on NewSmug.

Is the theme set in the unlisted gallery the same as the rest of your site?
    Unlisted galleries will not show to the public in any folder box.

"Hide owner" was it... Thanks. The design is set to "Design's default". thumb.gif
    They are not listed, only when they are viewed with the special link to them.
    Thanks!

A
  • Options
    cpwphotographycpwphotography Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2014
    Colleen, I am trying to make a client page like yours. How do I do that?
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2014
    Making a Client Gallery is just like any other Gallery. Create a Public folder called Clients and put all your client galleries inside it. Have your client galleries inherit the public status, and give each of them a password. Choose one photo to serve as the gallery cover image. Link the main folder to your home page, and you're done.
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

• Options
    BobTBobT Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2014
    I also have password protection issues. I have a particular gallery that I need password protected but with the feature photo in the folder above. A reasonable request I would have thought. However, people to whom I've given the password claim that the password request appears only intermittently if at all, letting them straight in. Not good! There are only three privacy settings offered; Inheriting Public, Unlisted and Private. To get the feature photo of this gallery to be visible in the folder above I've had to select "Inheriting Public". This is defined as "uses the privacy from the folder above". WTF, why would I want that? Little wonder it doesn't work properly. So how does one password protect just a single gallery?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,255 moderator
    edited June 1, 2014
    BobT wrote: »
    ...people to whom I've given the password claim that the password request appears only intermittently if at all, letting them straight in.
    I believe the password is saved in a cookie for a limited amount of time.

Someone from smug will need to confirm this and to let you know how many days.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2014
    BobT wrote: »
    I also have password protection issues. I have a particular gallery that I need password protected but with the feature photo in the folder above. A reasonable request I would have thought. However, people to whom I've given the password claim that the password request appears only intermittently if at all, letting them straight in. Not good! There are only three privacy settings offered; Inheriting Public, Unlisted and Private. To get the feature photo of this gallery to be visible in the folder above I've had to select "Inheriting Public". This is defined as "uses the privacy from the folder above". WTF, why would I want that? Little wonder it doesn't work properly. So how does one password protect just a single gallery?
    The PW blocks everything but external links/embeddable has to be on for the feature photo
    to show in the upper level folder. I make all my passworded galleries fully public, but PW
    protects them.