Options

Bulk editing of Titles

GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited March 15, 2014 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Now that I understand that the filename is used as the "Title" when there is nothing in the Title field, I really want to be able to bulk edit those "title" entries, just as I can the Captions and Keywords. It's really cumbersome to edit titles one at a time.

I understand that the Caption and Keyword bulk edit tool is just carried over from Legacy, where the "Title" field did not exist. But any chance we could get a third column to that tool, so we can either erase or change all the titles?

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere. I've looked for it, but may well have missed it.

Comments

• Options
    guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2013
    GRBlizz wrote: »
    Now that I understand that the filename is used as the "Title" when there is nothing in the Title field, I really want to be able to bulk edit those "title" entries, just as I can the Captions and Keywords. It's really cumbersome to edit titles one at a time.

I understand that the Caption and Keyword bulk edit tool is just carried over from Legacy, where the "Title" field did not exist. But any chance we could get a third column to that tool, so we can either erase or change all the titles?

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere. I've looked for it, but may well have missed it.

+1 for sure.

For most of my galleries I'm having to just ignore the Title Field because I don't have the time to go from photo to photo entering one. This really needs to be available in Bulk Edit along with captions & keywords. Sorry but it should have been one of those obvious things that was taken care of before the release.
  • Options
    GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2013
    guy wrote: »
    +1 for sure.

For most of my galleries I'm having to just ignore the Title Field because I don't have the time to go from photo to photo entering one. This really needs to be available in Bulk Edit along with captions & keywords. Sorry but it should have been one of those obvious things that was taken care of before the release.

I edit in Aperture, and I upload with SmugIn for Aperture. Through trial and error, I've learned that the field Headline in Aperture will upload to Title in SmugMug. Then I use the Caption field for the additional details, if I want to have any. SmugIn allows me to choose which IPTC field populates the Caption field on SM.

So for new galleries, I can handle this on the front end. However, I have years of older galleries without the benefit of this tool. It wouldn't matter except for the "best of" albums I have, including my 2013 Photo of the Day album. I face the not-so-fun prospect of editing 200+ images manually. It would be so much easier in that bulk tool.

I've found no good way to get any of the right info to populate when using any of the SmugMug site uploaders.
  • Options
    James LyallJames Lyall Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2013
    GRBlizz wrote: »
    +1. Yes please! This needs to be sorted.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2013
    yep, should be bundled up with Captions and Keywords. +1
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2013
    Submitted to the product department
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2013
    Any news on that? We get useless updates like new uploader while more needed updates like bulk title editor is still missing. Please push that on top of the ToDo-List! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    todosLadostodosLados Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2014
    +1.
    Picasa Uploader to Smugmug always sets each photo's title to the name of the Gallery.
    This is not great in itself (every photo in the gallery has the same title), but the problem is exacerbated by the inability to quickly fix the titles all at once.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited March 14, 2014
    bump for status from SmugMug

Bulk edit from organizer still only allows editing of captions and keywords. I do most of my editing in the bulk tool - it's painful to need to go to each photo individually to enter titles.

--- Denise
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2014
    Bulk edit from organizer still only allows editing of captions and keywords. I do most of my editing in the bulk tool - it's painful to need to go to each photo individually to enter titles.

Today i recognized that on each photo (in SM-gallery view) there is a "add title" text that you can select to add a title. Still not as good as bulkedit from organizer but at least it's easier to add titles now...
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited March 15, 2014
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    Today i recognized that on each photo (in SM-gallery view) there is a "add title" text that you can select to add a title. Still not as good as bulkedit from organizer but at least it's easier to add titles now...
    That's true - but it still means touching every photo to add a title. Bulk edit is really needed here, has been from the beginning.

--- Denise