Options

Custom Hostname/Domain problems

JewlzJewlz Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited May 20, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I've been reporting a problem with my Smug Mug custom domain for about 3 weeks. It started shortly after the code push around the last week of August (it was fine before then and I've had this domain on Smug Mug for over 2 years now).

I'm being told the problem is Akamai (spelling) and my Ontario Canada ISP (Rogers).

At present, the domain works inconsistently for me (I cannot log in, or I am logged in and it crashes with "invalid URL", or I log out and cannot log back in etc etc) and I'm told by Smug Mug that other users are reporting problems in my area.

This is the only website I have problems accessing via my ISP (ironic that it is my own)

I would like to know when this will be fixed and what specifically is the problem because if it is Rogers, and I know the nature of the issue, I can escalate here in Ontario as well.
The problem goes away when I remove my domain name from the account settings and log in via smug mug alias but I paid for a service that would permit me to use my own custom domain, and require that to work.

Comments

• Options
    mrneutronmrneutron Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2013
    Hi Jewlz,

This problem is being caused by an ISP between Akamai and GoDaddy having problems just for one particular region. Akamai is working with the ISP to get this resolved.
    Our engineers are aware of the problem and working hard on a solution.
    Andy K
    SmugMug Support Hero
    help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    aaronpriestaaronpriest Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2014
    This has been an ongoing issue for me the past month, but today takes the cake! Every 20 minutes or so I'll have 1-2 minutes of my site being down with this error: "Invalid URL The requested URL "/", is invalid. Reference #9.47260e6b.1391622599.653e796" The reference number changes every time I refresh the page. After about 8 refreshes it will come back up fine. My site is www.aaronpriestphoto.com and galleries.aaronpriestphoto.com redirected to http://aaronpriestphoto.smugmug.com/. I never have trouble reaching aaronpriestphoto.smugmug.com directly, only my own domain. UptimeRobot.com also has reported galleries.aaronpriestphoto.com being down about 18 times this morning, but not aaronpriestphoto.smugmug.com. I've spent a few hours the past couple days with my hosting provider, Bluehost/Hostmonster, trying to resolve this and they can't find any issues with my server or account that would cause this. It doesn't appear to be a regional issue as I live in Maine and frequently have this error with Fairpoint, but not with Verizon on my cell phone (that always works it seems), and I have friends in New Hampshire and Massachusetts that have had several of these error messages today on Time Warner Cable and another small ISP down there. UptimeRobot.com has their servers in Dallas. I just can't make any sense of this, but I need someone to look into it on Smugmug's end I guess since I've had a lot of downtime today and I can't find any issues on my end. Any ideas?
  • Options
    bukowskibukowski Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 19, 2014
    This has been an ongoing issue for me the past month, but today takes the cake! Every 20 minutes or so I'll have 1-2 minutes of my site being down with this error: "Invalid URL The requested URL "/", is invalid. Reference #9.47260e6b.1391622599.653e796" The reference number changes every time I refresh the page. After about 8 refreshes it will come back up fine. My site is www.aaronpriestphoto.com and galleries.aaronpriestphoto.com redirected to http://aaronpriestphoto.smugmug.com/. I never have trouble reaching aaronpriestphoto.smugmug.com directly, only my own domain. UptimeRobot.com also has reported galleries.aaronpriestphoto.com being down about 18 times this morning, but not aaronpriestphoto.smugmug.com. I've spent a few hours the past couple days with my hosting provider, Bluehost/Hostmonster, trying to resolve this and they can't find any issues with my server or account that would cause this. It doesn't appear to be a regional issue as I live in Maine and frequently have this error with Fairpoint, but not with Verizon on my cell phone (that always works it seems), and I have friends in New Hampshire and Massachusetts that have had several of these error messages today on Time Warner Cable and another small ISP down there. UptimeRobot.com has their servers in Dallas. I just can't make any sense of this, but I need someone to look into it on Smugmug's end I guess since I've had a lot of downtime today and I can't find any issues on my end. Any ideas?

I have the same problem... have you found a solution?
  • Options
    aaronpriestaaronpriest Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2014
    bukowski wrote: »
    I have the same problem... have you found a solution?

Yeah, it appears to be an issue with Hostmonster/Bluehost's DNS servers and pathetic service, any of the hosting providers that are based on Provo, Utah and use Ace Data Centers incompetent network service actually. I was down for 30 hours last month, and 6 hours yesterday. I'm moving to another host as soon as I can afford to do so. And it will not be any of the hosting providers that Endurance International Group has gobbled up and destroyed or anyone located in Utah. They'll be losing a 12 year client and all of my own clients that I have recommended to them over the years. :pissed
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2014
    Yeah, it appears to be an issue with Hostmonster/Bluehost's DNS servers and pathetic service, any of the hosting providers that are based on Provo, Utah and use Ace Data Centers incompetent network service actually. I was down for 30 hours last month, and 6 hours yesterday. I'm moving to another host as soon as I can afford to do so. And it will not be any of the hosting providers that Endurance International Group has gobbled up and destroyed or anyone located in Utah. They'll be losing a 12 year client and all of my own clients that I have recommended to them over the years. :pissed

FWIW, I've been using www.icdsoft.com to host/register both of my websites (backpacking and photography) for over 10 years. Stellar service. thumb.gif