first portrait attempt

livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
edited December 14, 2005 in People
this is my friend's daughter and my first try at doing a portrait. i was just trying various things, and had a distinct disadvantage in that she was inside a metal walled arena......any tips and suggestions are gratefully accepted.

48090944-M.jpg

thanks
laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff

Comments

• Stacey LStacey L Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    She's really pretty. What's the original look like?
    livinginoz wrote:
    this is my friend's daughter and my first try at doing a portrait. i was just trying various things, and had a distinct disadvantage in that she was inside a metal walled arena......any tips and suggestions are gratefully accepted.

48090944-M.jpg

thanks
    Stacey

"Be strong, courageous and get to work. Don't be frightened by the size of the task, because the Lord my God is with you; He will not forsake you. He will see to it that everything is finished correctly." 1 Chronicles 28:20
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    she's beautiful, but the picture is a little too processed looking for my taste
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 13, 2005
    I'm really wanting a point of focus here. That soft processing technique can be used to perfection if you leave some facial features sharp. Eyes, nose, mouth, something needs to stand out and give definition.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm really wanting a point of focus here. That soft processing technique can be used to perfection if you leave some facial features sharp. Eyes, nose, mouth, something needs to stand out and give definition.

thanks, i agree with you. it looked a little sharper on my computer at home, but loses some on this monitor. i will work on it again.......and post the original when i get home.

my stuff
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    she's beautiful, but the picture is a little too processed looking for my taste
    15524779-Ti.gif

very pretty. naughty.gif

*couldn't resist. i'm 14.lol3.gif *

oh yeah, and i agree about the soft post-processing thing too.thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited December 13, 2005
    livinginoz wrote:
    thanks, i agree with you. it looked a little sharper on my computer at home, but loses some on this monitor. i will work on it again.......and post the original when i get home.

here is the original i started with. i am going to work on it again, but not sure how my time is looking tonight. sheesh, working for a living gets in the way of everything mwink.gif

my stuff
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Lovely portrait. I like the crop and the fact that the eyes stand out. I think, though, that the chin area is too soft. She is young and doesn't need much to be softened. I would make sure that her eyes, mouth, chin and nose definition are sharp and only soften the rest of her face, neck etc. a bit. Nice job.

Virginia

Email
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Can you post the original with the crop (no post processing)? I like the crop, but there is too much PS involved for my liking.... it just looks out of focus.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
    edited December 13, 2005
    JimM wrote:
    Can you post the original with the crop (no post processing)? I like the crop, but there is too much PS involved for my liking.... it just looks out of focus.

do you mean this crop? as i look at it i see what you mean by too much PS. i was experimenting with new actions and filters, and i think i got carried away :)

at work, i photograph hardware, it was just such fun to finally look at a live person.....

my stuff
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    In this case I think what you did with the background works and some of the glow effects around her will work after you tone them down a bit. Like others said, I think just keeping some of the definition in her facial features will do the trick.

Erich