My first job....

erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
edited December 14, 2005 in People
A friend from church asked me if I could take pictures of her son so she can use it for Christmas cards. I was worried because I don't own any lighting equipment for portraits. I told her not to get her expectations too high and brought my trusty 430 EX flash unit with my 20D.

I got the following shots. These are the best of the bunch. I don't think they're too bad but would appreciate any tips you could give me. One tip I learned on this sitting: get the dog to run around first so she's good and tired before you try to get it to pose for a picture.

Cheers,

Erich

47775479-L.jpg

47775475-L.jpg

47775467-L.jpg

Comments

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    You should be proud. I can't offer any advice except good luck on your next job!
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    The second one is perfectthumb.gifNice job!
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Good work....perfect use of fill flash.

Lee
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    rahmonster wrote:
    The second one is perfectthumb.gifNice job!
    almost perfect. the hands are cut off, but i still love it. these are some really superb shots. if i was his parent i would be very very happy with these. the first one makes me really happy, you got an excellent face from the dog as well as the boy. the kid looks so happy in each of the pictures. very well done.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Very nicely done!

The third is my favorite. The second would have been perfect without the branches in the foreground on the left.

Do the parents like them?

Great work on your first of what will be many jobs!
  • davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Very nice job you've done here. I like the one with the son in the tree-- I don't know him but based on his beaming smile it seems to suit him best.
  • Stacey LStacey L Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Hey Erich! I know exactly how you feel! I've done some portraits for a couple of friends from church and w/out the proper lighting equipment...I was a bit hesitant. But, both the shoots went great. As a matter of fact, one of the ladies gave me a Christmas card of one of the pictures I took!! I was so flattered especially because she told me that the people at Ritz were telling her how incredible and professional it looked!! If only they knew.

I love #1. You did a great job, best wishes on many more jobs to come...

erich6 wrote:
    A friend from church asked me if I could take pictures of her son so she can use it for Christmas cards. I was worried because I don't own any lighting equipment for portraits. I told her not to get her expectations too high and brought my trusty 430 EX flash unit with my 20D.

I got the following shots. These are the best of the bunch. I don't think they're too bad but would appreciate any tips you could give me. One tip I learned on this sitting: get the dog to run around first so she's good and tired before you try to get it to pose for a picture.

Cheers,

Erich

47775479-L.jpg

47775475-L.jpg

47775467-L.jpg
    Stacey

"Be strong, courageous and get to work. Don't be frightened by the size of the task, because the Lord my God is with you; He will not forsake you. He will see to it that everything is finished correctly." 1 Chronicles 28:20
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    These are really good!
    The lighting is just right! And the boy looks so relaxed and natural. Getting the dog was incredible.

I like the climbing of the tree (even with the cut off feet) and I love the leaves in front of him on the side, adds to a feeling of depth and place. I would have liked to have seen his head a little straighter for a "portrait" type photo, but it's more natural the way you shot it.

The third one is very good too.

I bet they will be hard pressed to decide which one they like best!
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    They are all three really wonderful. His parents must be thrilled. For a portrait, I think I like the last one best because it is all about him. The advantage of the first is that it includes the dog which might be good for a Christmas Card. I love the second for showing an active, happy kid. Congrats on a job well done!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Email
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    Everyone,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I went into this session with some apprehension but in the end the parents were very happy with the pictures so that's what counts! :D It was certainly a learning experience for me.

It's pretty amazing to see some of the details you miss during the shooting. For instance, in the second shot I was completely focused on the boy's face and his overall body relationship to the tree so I missed what I was doing to his hands and feet. I guess it's good practice to shoot with a bit of margin on field-of-view to give you the cropping option in post-processing (specially for fast/spontaneous shots).

Anyway, this is giving me some confidence for future work. Guess it's time to start planning on getting some lightboxes or at a minimum some reflectors.

Erich
    edited December 14, 2005
    Another thing I learned (and was thrilled with) is that Smugmug has a neat option to pick different templates for galleries. I used the Christmas template for his pictures and it really works for presentation (see link here: http://hbphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/1030200)

Very cool!
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    there are even more great pictures in the gallery, i'm really impressed.

i really like this one a lot:
    47775470-M.jpg
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited December 14, 2005
    Erich,

Excellant work! Very professional in the use of light. Cropping is not exactly what I would do, but still very good.

Bravo!

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    Great shots and very skillful use of fill flash. I gotta say though, that I am extremely jealous of you SoCal people. :D You've got sunshine, green grass and short sleeves while I have 15 degrees, nothing but brown dead stuff, and another winter storm headed my way. Oh well, keep up th egreat work.

John
    edited December 14, 2005
    Thanks again for the kudos guys. I appreciate it!

Actually, I'm jealous of SoCal folks too. It seems these days I'm spending more time on the road than at home. Generally to much colder places....

Oh well, at least I have Christmas to look forward to!

Erich