Options

Smumug admin/upload win based tool

fcaerofcaero Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited August 27, 2004 in SmugMug Support
I thinking on develop a windows based application that allows me to do an easier & controlled way of uploading… So I can create /customize a gallery and uploadit at the same time and can schedule the upload times etc….

I’m thinking do it calling the web pages you do on the normal upload process / create galleries but it would be easier if you can give the calls need it to do it.
Can someone on the suport side send-e an email with the htpp call's need to do the operation of creating galeries and uploading ??

I’m wiling to give the software as free so all the smugmug users can use it.

Thanks for a great service.

Comments

• Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    fcaero wrote:
    I thinking on develop a windows based application that allows me to do an easier & controlled way of uploading… So I can create /customize a gallery and uploadit at the same time and can schedule the upload times etc….

I’m thinking do it calling the web pages you do on the normal upload process / create galleries but it would be easier if you can give the calls need it to do it.
    Can someone on the suport side send-e an email with the htpp call's need to do the operation of creating galeries and uploading ??

I’m wiling to give the software as free so all the smugmug users can use it.

Thanks for a great service.

This sounds great! I'm happy to give you all sorts of support, and even write some custom-code on smugmug's backend if necessary.

The easiest thing to do is probably to clone smugmug's form elements and simply POST adds/changes/updates to us the same way a browser does.

We do have an XML interface to a few of those areas, if you prefer, and I can build more if that's the route you'd rather take. Uploading files, for example, can happen via POST, XML, or a hybrid of both POST and XML. (XML requires base64 encoding, so the filesize grows quite a bit if you do purely XML.)

Again, I prefer POST, but we can make something else work. :)

We can use this thread as a resource for other people to create other tools for smugmug as well. Simply post your questions here and I'll answer them as thoroughly as I can.

Thanks!

Don
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    for my first analise of the webpage uploading and creating galleries etc
    It seems the easy way for now..
    For instance i need to know the complete sintax of call to create a gallery
    xpto.smugmug.com/gallery/create.mg?galname"teste"?setings=01102001" t
    this it what the creat button does...
    I will need to know this. for the major functions...
    I could try to analyse the process but if you can help will be faster as i don't have to reverse engering the all process

thank you

onethumb wrote:
    This sounds great! I'm happy to give you all sorts of support, and even write some custom-code on smugmug's backend if necessary.

The easiest thing to do is probably to clone smugmug's form elements and simply POST adds/changes/updates to us the same way a browser does.

We do have an XML interface to a few of those areas, if you prefer, and I can build more if that's the route you'd rather take. Uploading files, for example, can happen via POST, XML, or a hybrid of both POST and XML. (XML requires base64 encoding, so the filesize grows quite a bit if you do purely XML.)

Again, I prefer POST, but we can make something else work. :)

We can use this thread as a resource for other people to create other tools for smugmug as well. Simply post your questions here and I'll answer them as thoroughly as I can.

Thanks!

Don
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    I will try to get more information on your post methods and let you know ...
    thank you

fcaero wrote:
    for my first analise of the webpage uploading and creating galleries etc
    It seems the easy way for now..
    For instance i need to know the complete sintax of call to create a gallery
    xpto.smugmug.com/gallery/create.mg?galname"teste"?setings=01102001" t
    this it what the creat button does...
    I will need to know this. for the major functions...
    I could try to analyse the process but if you can help will be faster as i don't have to reverse engering the all process

thank you
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    Hi there
    I realy need the sintax for the operations of post.

Can you please email them ?
    thank you

fcaero wrote:
    I will try to get more information on your post methods and let you know ...
    thank you
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    This all sounds great, but how will security be handled?
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    This all sounds great, but how will security be handled?

The same way it is now. Essentially, smugmug is a service we provide. The most common way to use the service is via a web browser - but it doesn't have to be that way. Anything which can speak HTTP and HTTPS can utilize our service.

The Mac OS X uploader is a good example. It is a standalone application that securely logs you in, gets a list of your galleries, and lets you add photos to them. From smugmug's point-of-view, it behaves almost exactly like a web browser does ... but from your point of view, it's a completely different, streamlined application.

There's much that could be done with all sorts of neat applications and integration if some bright people put their minds to it...

Don
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    hi don
    don't forget me ;)

onethumb wrote:
    The same way it is now. Essentially, smugmug is a service we provide. The most common way to use the service is via a web browser - but it doesn't have to be that way. Anything which can speak HTTP and HTTPS can utilize our service.

The Mac OS X uploader is a good example. It is a standalone application that securely logs you in, gets a list of your galleries, and lets you add photos to them. From smugmug's point-of-view, it behaves almost exactly like a web browser does ... but from your point of view, it's a completely different, streamlined application.

There's much that could be done with all sorts of neat applications and integration if some bright people put their minds to it...

Don
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    fcaero wrote:
    hi don
    don't forget me ;)

I won't. :)

It's gonna take me a little while to get the data you want. Your best bet, actually, is to simply go to the forms in question and "view source" in your browser.

That should give you a good starting spot about which URL to post to, what variables are expected, etc.

That's all I'm really going to do, myself, when I get a minute to reply to this thread.

Don
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    Hi
    i'am already doing that, and i know the variables and more info on few items
    now.
    But i need to know how to submit the forms and for that i need to know more info on the processes

i'm be waiting for your info

thanks

onethumb wrote:

It's gonna take me a little while to get the data you want. Your best bet, actually, is to simply go to the forms in question and "view source" in your browser.

That should give you a good starting spot about which URL to post to, what variables are expected, etc.

That's all I'm really going to do, myself, when I get a minute to reply to this thread.

Don
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2004
    onethumb wrote:

Don

Hey Don -- as I pointed out in another post, I've already hacked together an ugly Perl script to create a bulk downloader that ultimately just calls curl -O a bunch of times.

I was all set to do something similar for getting the filenames out of the Bulk Deletion screen (weird that's the one place they're visible), but then I realized I probably need some kind of cookie that contains my session as well as acknowledges that I've authenticated myself.

Ugh -- which means I'll probably have to actually *read* my "Perl & LWP" book. :P

But yeah, in the end, who knows, maybe I'll have a bunch of Perl scripts/AppleScripts (yay OS X) that'll let you do some of the following things:

- Generate an index of smugmug IDs -> original filenames
    - Create a bunch of galleries with "my default" options

Or, you know, you guys could do it on the website. Because I sure as heck am not going to bother porting it to Windows. :P

I'm pretty happy with my bulk download tool, but again, OS X or Linux only. (Unless somebody wants to install Perl on a Windows box or take my lame code and make an .EXE of it.)

OTOH, if there was a Smugmug API, similar to what Google or Amazon offers, who knows what a real coder might be able to do with it. (Not me, I'm just a hack. I *like* scraping, because I understand it. :-)

--Darryl