Options

CSS customization targeting a specific page

bnickesonbnickeson Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited September 19, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Is there any way using CSS that you can target a specific page in the new smugmug layout without making it independent? For instance, I'd like to change the visibility of the breadcrumb on the "browse" page to hidden, but I don't want to change all of the folders pages. I'd like to stay away from making it a completely independent page if at all possible, since it will only make my life more difficult with customizations down the road.

I know there was an easy way with the old legacy site but hadn't seen anything for the new one yet.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2013
    I think you'll find that every page stands alone, nothing flows down anywhere. So make
    it independent and delete the breadcrumb. It won't affect any folders below.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2013
    I'm not worried about it flowing down, I'm worried about having to make two sets of the same customizations if I make one of the folders pages independent. For instance, if I wanted to change the info title on the thumbnail tiles on all of my folders or galleries within the folders pages, I would have to customize the site on both "All Folders" and my independent Browse page, correct? It's just two sets to remember any time I change something. Or am I completely misunderstanding the "Make this page custom" functionality?
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited September 19, 2013
    bnickeson wrote: »
    I'm not worried about it flowing down, I'm worried about having to make two sets of the same customizations if I make one of the folders pages independent. For instance, if I wanted to change the info title on the thumbnail tiles on all of my folders or galleries within the folders pages, I would have to customize the site on both "All Folders" and my independent Browse page, correct? It's just two sets to remember any time I change something. Or am I completely misunderstanding the "Make this page custom" functionality?

You are understanding correctly -- however, to get the functionality you want you would have to make the /browse page independent. I think you're making it be a little bit bigger of an issue than it really is. How much are you really going to change after separating it that would also effect the /browse page? Typically, people actually want the /browse page to be much different from folders. For example, I added the map to my browse page ... I added a keyword blob, etc. It's prob. not all that much work to have to "duplicate" any changes on both "All Folders" and "/browse" since those changes are minor.

Note that if you use the same theme then any changes to the CSS in "All Folders" will also change the "/browse". The only thing that wouldn't change was if you made any changes to the content blocks in All Folders vs browse
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2013
    leftquark wrote: »
    You are understanding correctly -- however, to get the functionality you want you would have to make the /browse page independent. I think you're making it be a little bit bigger of an issue than it really is. How much are you really going to change after separating it that would also effect the /browse page? Typically, people actually want the /browse page to be much different from folders. For example, I added the map to my browse page ... I added a keyword blob, etc. It's prob. not all that much work to have to "duplicate" any changes on both "All Folders" and "/browse" since those changes are minor.

Note that if you use the same theme then any changes to the CSS in "All Folders" will also change the "/browse". The only thing that wouldn't change was if you made any changes to the content blocks in All Folders vs browse

OK, that makes me feel a little better then. I wasn't sure if the site-wide CSS changes still applied to the Custom page. I can probably just separate the browse page and call it good. Thanks for your help.