Options

Cropping Gallery Thumbs Not Working

PanonutPanonut Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited September 21, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Need some expert advice on this one, please see below posts.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 20, 2013
    First thumbs seemed to crop then not.
    I have been cropping the gallery thumbs to 2:3. At first they seemed to work, then after loading the site several times I see them reverting to the default center crop (at times not where the subject is.) Anyone else seeing this in new SM?
    Frank
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    Panonut wrote: »
    I have been cropping the gallery thumbs to 2:3. At first they seemed to work, then after loading the site several times I see them reverting to the default center crop (at times not where the subject is.) Anyone else seeing this in new SM?
    Frank
    The NewSmug does not use a thumb from the gallery but one of the photos and centers the crop for the
    grid type folder. You can designate what photo to feature. The ones I want a special crop for the feature
    photo I create myself and place in an unlisted gallery elsewhere. Then feature it from there. Lots of
    work if you have many but turns out quite well.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Crop Thumbs
    I've cropped some of the thumb images by going to the gallery, selecting an image from the grid, tools, edit, crop thumbnail, apply but it doesn't seem to do anything. Am I not using this feature correctly?

Frank
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2013
    Cropping Thumbs
    If new images are required to prevent automatic centered that may not include the image subject, then I wonder what the purpose of the new SM thumb-cropping tool. There seems to be a feature to crop the thumbnails: go to grid, select image, select tools, edit, crop thumbnail. The resulting menu asks what size, rotate, etc. When you crop (normally to include the subject) edit tool says "Cropping your thumbnail." However, no cropping results. Thumbnail reverts back to original, uncropped, off-center image. I included an image of the thumb-cropping editor in use.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    The crop is applied to the thumbnails in SmugMug-style galleries, but I think that's the only place left apart from in Organize or the Customizer.
  • Options
    Lamah wrote: »
    The crop is applied to the thumbnails in SmugMug-style galleries, but I think that's the only place left apart from in Organize or the Customizer.

Hmmm, could you elaborate, Lamah? I didn't understand the last part of your sentence. BTW, I'm using the SM gallery dark.
    FH
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    Some of the only places that display thumbnails that respect your thumbnail crop is inside the Organize menu, or inside the Customizer.

For example, when you click Organize Site, the thumbnails there are applying your thumbnail crop. Virtually everywhere else on SmugMug now uses larger thumbnails (in reality, Small size photos) which don't apply your thumbnail crop.
  • Options
    Lamah wrote: »
    Some of the only places that display thumbnails that respect your thumbnail crop is inside the Organize menu, or inside the Customizer.

For example, when you click Organize Site, the thumbnails there are applying your thumbnail crop. Virtually everywhere else on SmugMug now uses larger thumbnails (in reality, Small size photos) which don't apply your thumbnail crop.

Thanks much for the explanation, Lamah. I do wonder why SM would create a suite to crop images only seen by me and only when I organize the gallery? In that area I don't care at all how they look, I'm just organizing them :D (sorry about the teeth.) FH