Options

Setting theme and display settings for multiple galleries

huseyinhuseyin Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited March 27, 2014 in SmugMug Support
What happened to "Multiple Galleries" switch? I can't find the theme editing tools in the new smugmug.

In new Smugmug, I go to Gallery Settings and under Appearance I see Thumbnail, but Multiple Galleries or "All Galleries" check mark is gone.. :scratch

When I try "Customize Site" it does not allow customization of views, it's just the fancy css editor I guess.
My smugmug still under construction & organization with 17,000 images and counting... meanwhile check my Flickr

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited September 20, 2013
    In new smugmug you can change settings for multiple galleries in the Organizer. Go into Organizer, select multiple galleries, click Settings. Click the checkbox in front of the each setting to select it.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2013
    Thanks Denise, but that does not help when you have multiple categories with multiple galleries. The solution would be to have a setting for ALL galleries, which is missing (basically something we had before, disappeared).

I wouldn't mind so much if setting button also worked on categories with an option to change all galleries under that category. Still a cumbersome method if users have many categories, but it would have made it less hassle.

Solution would be to make the setting button active when clicked on the site name and allow this to make changes to all galleries.
    My smugmug still under construction & organization with 17,000 images and counting... meanwhile check my Flickr
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    Bulk settings can be applied to all galleries in a folder. It's not possible to change settings across folders or your whole site. I'm sorry.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    But it was, previously (and still is if we did not reveal the new version). Why the removal of such useful feature?
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2013
    huseyin wrote: »
    But it was, previously (and still is if we did not reveal the new version). Why the removal of such useful feature?
    Another thing that's going to give me hours & hours of extra work. Wish I could understand the thought process that went into removing so many useful tools & wanting to hear everyone begging to have them back again... ble-e-c-cch.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2014
    Has this been implemented in any way?
    Can we set all new galleries to be in Thumbnail Style?
    Is there anyway to apply settings such as appearance/security/social to multiple or All galleries?

I am still trying to find a way to just apply new password/etc to all my galleries, and I can't find a way to change this!
    Bulk settings can be applied to all galleries in a folder. It's not possible to change settings across folders or your whole site. I'm sorry.

Also, maybe I forgot to mention before, this is not true. Even within a folder, you are not giving us the option of changing all settings. It only has Basics and Security/Privacy. It doesn't even have appearance settings in there.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2014
    Is there anyway to apply settings such as appearance/security/social to multiple or All galleries?
    Yes. Use Bulk Gallery Settings.
    ...Even within a folder, you are not giving us the option of changing all settings. It only has Basics and Security/Privacy. It doesn't even have appearance settings in there.
    Bulk settings has most (if not all) of the gallery properties available.
    • Go into the organizer.
    • Select all of the galleries (within a folder) where you'd like to apply the same settings.
    • Click the settings button to activate bulk settings.
    • Click the section you'd like to change.
    • Click the checkbox in front of the setting you'd like to change
    • Set the property
    • Click done
    See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1240194-new-bulk-gallery-settings.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2014
    Yes. Use Bulk Gallery Settings.

Bulk settings has most (if not all) of the gallery properties available.
    • Go into the organizer.
    • Select all of the galleries (within a folder) where you'd like to apply the same settings.
    • Click the settings button to activate bulk settings.
    • Click the section you'd like to change.
    • Click the checkbox in front of the setting you'd like to change
    • Set the property
    • Click done
    See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1240194-new-bulk-gallery-settings.

--- Denise

Thanks, this totally defeats the purpose of having Folder/Subfolder/Gallery structure.
    If I have
    >Site
    >>Archive
    >>>2010
    >>>>Project 1
    >>>>Project 2
    >>>>Project 3
    >>>2011
    >>>>Project 1
    >>>>Project 2
    >>>>Project 3
    >>>2012
    >>>>Project 1
    >>>>Project 2
    >>>>Project 3
    >>Portfolio
    >>>Weddings
    >>>>John Doe
    >>>>Jane Doe
    >>>Parties
    >>>>XYZ
    >>>Birthdays
    >>>>Timmy
    >>>>Kerry

I am going to have to go through all "sub-folders" and then select all in order to apply the same setting to all of them. Extremely annoying.

Why remove the site-wide setting?
    It sounds like the only solution is to get rid of 3 layer setup I have and go back to two layer.
    Site/Folder/Galleries.
    That's all... I am going to have to just drag all of my galleries out of their subfolders into one big "Folder"
    I think this is the intention behind removal of these feature, users should not have galleries that are too deep.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2014
    You can change your site's default gallery style via the customize site screen, you just need to open the customize screen from within a gallery. Hold your mouse over the gallery display and click the wrench button. There you can set the "default style".
    Note that the default style only takes effect for galleries that are set to use the default style.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2014
    Note that the default style only takes effect for galleries that are set to use the default style.
    This pretty much sums it up that it doesn't really take effect unless you set all galleries to default style by hand (those that do not use default style).
    We can just let go of specific features/functions and focus on the features that are actually removed from the "upgraded" smugmug. What was the reason behind removal of such useful features?

I ended up removing SubFolders and moved them all one level up to Site/Category/Gallery/Pictures structure. At least this way I can go to Category and select all galleries and modify them accordingly because once you go one level deeper you lose all major settings.
    Gallery settings vs Folder Settings.

Basically what we need is would be more tabs, such as: folder settings/gallery settings to apply to all galleries within this folder/site wide settings

745745f33f72753e7d2f5167d340ab30.png
  • Options
    1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2014
    I'm obviously doing something wrong because when I try to follow these instructions to change the style of my galleries from the journal format to the smugmug format, I cannot get it to change.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=39286&stc=1&d=1394932244
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2014
    I hate the fact that I have to spend hours upon hours trying to figure out some new techno crap. I signed up for smugmug to keep things simple for me. And no, I do not want to pay someone to redo my site. Just make it f'n simpler for crying out loud!!!!!!!!

I am a hobby photographer, not a programmer and not a pro that can justify spending to get things the way I want. But I am also not at all a dummy, yet with this change, I can only get so far and get stuck.

1. Why can't I change my galleries to all show up in the classic smugmug format with thumbs on the left and one image on the right? Instead I get what I guess is the journal format with an endless stack of photos in a vertical scroll. This should be easy but I cannot figure it out.
    2. Why can't I resize the menu and text areas so that I can fit some basic bio information at least on the home page?
    I feel like I might have to look into a smugmug alternative that is simpler for me to manage. I am still just displaying the legacy format on both my smugmug accounts.
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2014
    1pocket wrote: »
    Why can't I change my galleries to all show up in the classic smugmug format with thumbs on the left and one image on the right? Instead I get what I guess is the journal format with an endless stack of photos in a vertical scroll. This should be easy but I cannot figure it out.
    1. Why can't I resize the menu and text areas so that I can fit some basic bio information at least on the home page?

What you are missing is the site-wide setting
    For the menu/text areas, that's still possible with customize, when you click customize you can resize and change the text/content.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2014
    I'm obviously doing something wrong because when I try to follow these instructions to change the style of my galleries from the journal format to the smugmug format, I cannot get it to change.
    Your screen shot doesn't show anything checked. If you click the check box in front of the property you want to change can you then select a value?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2014
    Why can't I change my galleries to all show up in the classic smugmug format with thumbs on the left and one image on the right? Instead I get what I guess is the journal format with an endless stack of photos in a vertical scroll. This should be easy but I cannot figure it out.
    To change your default gallery style, go to any gallery and click on customize > customize site. Hold your mouse over the gallery content block, click the wrench button and there you'll be able to adjust the default gallery style for your site.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2014
    To change your default gallery style, go to any gallery and click on customize > customize site. Hold your mouse over the gallery content block, click the wrench button and there you'll be able to adjust the default gallery style for your site.
    Okay, I tried these steps -- which I found just as you describe -- and clicked to change to the smugmug style with thumbs on the left and one image shown, then I clicked "save and apply" or something like that, but they still seem to come up as and endless vertical scroll. Is there a delay or did I miss something?
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2014
    When I open that dialogue box, it clearly shows that "journal" is still the default style. When I click on smugmug to make that the default, indeed the gallery I am in changes to the smugmug style. But then I have the choice of "cancel" or "done" and when I click done, it immediately reverts to the journal style. Obviously I am missing something??
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2014
    When I open that dialogue box, it clearly shows that "journal" is still the default style. When I click on smugmug to make that the default, indeed the gallery I am in changes to the smugmug style. But then I have the choice of "cancel" or "done" and when I click done, it immediately reverts to the journal style. Obviously I am missing something??
    ohmigod, I figured it out. Don't click on the style you want, click up where it says "default" and a new dropdown menu opens, and make your selection there. I'm glad to have solved that problem, but what a pain in the ass to go through all that searching for one small change. I hate the new smugmug!!

Next time I have an hour or two to kill I will try the advice given below regarding how to change the basic home page layout -- or rather, how to resize content boxes to customize the layout so I can add some extra text where I want it, and still have the basic menu choices and main slide show. Groan ne_nau.gif
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com