At the model railway club

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited December 15, 2005 in Holy Macro
The HUB division of the Northeastern Region of the National Model Railroad Association (NMRA) set up shop this weekend at the National Heritage Museum in Lexington, MA.

48178564-L.jpg

This is a huge draw, especially for kids, especially this time of year.

48153396-L.jpg

Myself, I could have played with that tunnel all day.

48153473-L.jpg

The setup is composed of sections, each owned and created by a different club member and each representing a different place in New England.

48153568-L.jpg

And then of course there are the trains....

48153696-L.jpg

48153862-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 13, 2005
    I'm really liking that last shot. Thanks for reminding me what was missing around the tree this year!

You have any wide shots of the whole event? Give some scale to the entire mini-world they put together?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm really liking that last shot. Thanks for reminding me what was missing around the tree this year!

You have any wide shots of the whole event? Give some scale to the entire mini-world they put together?

No, sorry. I wish I'd gotten that. It's not as big as some permanent ones I've seen, but much bigger than anything you've ever seen in someone's basement. They'll be back. They do it every three months or so, and I plan to go shoot again next time.

In the mean time, there is a model railroad club at MIT that has a long and glorious history and probably an amazing setup. I've been trying to get to that for years, but they don't make it easy.

Have you ever been the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago? I have some pretty vivid memories of a huge setup there. But these memories date back to the time I was 10 or so, so it might have seemed bigger than it would now.
    If not now, when?
    edited December 13, 2005
    Bummer.

I've never visited any museums in chicago. But I do have plenty of buddies at MIT, maybe I can get them to dig something up.
    Erik

edited December 13, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Bummer.

I've never visited any museums in chicago. But I do have plenty of buddies at MIT, maybe I can get them to dig something up.

I dug something up. Sounds like Wednesday evenings. I might try to go tomorrow. Want an adventure?
    If not now, when?
    edited December 13, 2005
    This one reminds me of the movie Speed...

Tour17Nov05_89.jpg

source: http://tmrc.mit.edu/LayoutTour/051117/Tour17Nov05.html
    Erik

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Cool
    rutt wrote:
    The HUB division of the Northeastern Region of the National Model Railroad Association (NMRA) set up shop this weekend at the National Heritage Museum in Lexington, MA.
    This is a huge draw, especially for kids, especially this time of year.
    Myself, I could have played with that tunnel all day.
    The setup is composed of sections, each owned and created by a different club member and each representing a different place in New England.
    And then of course there are the trains....
    Hi Rutt.........an amazing amount of hours goes into those models, and the kids always seem to be fascinated by them don't they.

I've seen a few displays on my travels and the detail they put into re-creating townships and countrysides is just astonishing.........very nicely captured on your part Rutt......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited December 15, 2005
    Erik "Dr It" inspired me, so I went off in search of amazing model train setups. I took my two sons and went to the MIT model railway club. Lots of good shots, maybe no great ones. I used the 16-35mm at your suggestion and still didn't manage to convey the scale of the thing. It's not in the world's largest room, but the trains and all the support equipment are really packed in there. They have a streetcar system that's almost as complex and sophisticated as the trains themselves.

No post yet. See: http://rutt.smugmug.com/gallery/1041787
    If not now, when?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 15, 2005
    The headquarters of the NMRA is in Chattanooga, and is adjacent to a museum of real railroad cars and an active in-use museum train. Well worth a visit to Chattanooga in itself.

http://www.getnet.com/~dickg/nmra/org/nmra_organization.html
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 15, 2005
    Those brains at MIT sure have quite a setup! 16-35mm was definitely the way to go, I like several of those shots.

Looks like you guys didn't have much company though?
    Erik

edited December 15, 2005
    Not many people last night. Two members, four visitors including me and my two boys. More memberd expected later (this is a U after all.)
    If not now, when?
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Very interesting and great pics. I will have to show this to my son tonight.
    He's 3 and loves trains. He's getting a GeoTrax set this year.

I love the concept of the little boy shot through the tunnel, but I think the pictures need more. Not sure what or how though.

Thanks for sharing.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke