Options

Old Light Meter (Help Needed)

PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
edited August 24, 2004 in Accessories
Hey guys...I used a Light Meter once (like 10 years ago) and I was recently given this Gossen Scout II Light meter by my brother. Overall I know how a light meter works but I can't figure out what the sliding door is for? The light meter takes readings without the door even being open. My brother, unfortunately, can't remember or find the manual. So anyone got an idea? I would be most appreciative.

I've done a few searches and I'm under the impression it's to measure incident light. Am I getting somewhere?

Thanks again.

7664949-M.jpg

7664950-M.jpg
Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    The door open is used to meter reflected light. I just bought a Gossen Digiflash last week. This is my first light meter, so I had to spend some time with my face in the manual. I'm not 100% sure if yours is the same, but I can try to dig up more information if you would like.

Here is the small paragraph in my manual about Reflected Light Method:

"For the reflected mode, the diffuser must be shifted to the right. Care must be taken, that the light sensor is entirely free. The measurement is taken from the position of the camera towards the subject. in this method, only the light reflected from the subject is detected by the meter. Therefore, the measuring values always depend on the reflection capacity of the subject. As a result of this, bright subjects are reproduced darker and therefore not properly exposed. Consequently, this mode is conveniently used, when the subject does not show too high contrasts between bright and dark areas."

So far, I have had excellent results w/ leaving the diffuser covering the sensor. Every photograph has been perfectly exposed.

Let me know if I can help more.

Dave
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Let me know if I can help more.

Dave
    That was great help! I was under the impression that the light meter was held from the subject's perpective pointed towards the camera. At this point it's a matter of testing the waters and taking some sample pics. I primarily need this light meter for the old Argus C3 I bought. I shot a roll of 24 exp and used both settings (open and closed) just in case. My fingers are crossed. Should take a few more days before I get the samples.

Once again, thanks Dave! Ya 'da man!
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    That was great help! I was under the impression that the light meter was held from the subject's perpective pointed towards the camera. At this point it's a matter of testing the waters and taking some sample pics. I primarily need this light meter for the old Argus C3 I bought. I shot a roll of 24 exp and used both settings (open and closed) just in case. My fingers are crossed. Should take a few more days before I get the samples.

Once again, thanks Dave! Ya 'da man!

All my testing has been from the perspective of the camera pointing at the subject. I've only had it a few days, so I could be completely wrong. I won't even tell you where I got the bright idea to use it from the cameras perspective....hahahahaha

If your digital has a manual mode, you may want to play with it a bit. Save the cost of film while you get it figured out.

Dave
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    All my testing has been from the perspective of the camera pointing at the subject. I've only had it a few days, so I could be completely wrong. I won't even tell you where I got the bright idea to use it from the cameras perspective....hahahahaha

If your digital has a manual mode, you may want to play with it a bit. Save the cost of film while you get it figured out.

Dave
    Yeah, my A70 is a bit prehistoric but it has a lively Manual mode. The last thing I want to do is get disillusioned by spending tons on developing. Thanks again, Dave.

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    dkapp wrote:

Dave
    With the sensor uncovered point from the camera toward the subject.

With the diffuser covering the sensor point from the subject toward the light or toward the camera or towrd some vector inbetween depending on what you are trying to do with the exposure.

The idea is that uncovered you measure the light reflected by the subject and covered you are measuring the light that is falling on the subject
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:

With the diffuser covering the sensor point from the subject toward the light or toward the camera or towrd some vector inbetween depending on what you are trying to do with the exposure.

The idea is that uncovered you measure the light reflected by the subject and covered you are measuring the light that is falling on the subject
    clap.gifclapclap.gif Thanks!

• Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:

I just did some more testing.

With the diffuser covering the sensor, I point from my camera toward the subject & it is properly exposed.

With the sensor uncovered, I point from my camera toward the subject & it came out underexposed.

This is exactly the results that I have been getting. Any idea whats going on, or what I could be doing wrong?

Maybe we could use a good light meter 101 here.

Dave
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I just did some more testing.

With the diffuser covering the sensor, I point from my camera toward the subject & it is properly exposed.

With the sensor uncovered, I point from my camera toward the subject & it came out underexposed.

This is exactly the results that I have been getting. Any idea whats going on, or what I could be doing wrong?

Maybe we could use a good light meter 101 here.

Dave
    Sounds like a broken meter or an operator head-space adjustment :D What is the model?

http://www.scphoto.com/html/exposure.html
    "Reflected meter:
    A cell on the meter reads light reflected from the subject, at an angle that can vary from about 20 to 60 degrees. It should be used close to the subject, with the meter port pointed at the tone you wish to read. If you hold the meter close to a gray card, take care not to shadow the card.This is the type of meter found in most modern cameras. These meters will measure the total area inside the camera frame with a stronger emphasis on what is found in the center of the viewfinder.

Incident meter: With its cell behind a white plastic dome or panel, it's designed to read the light falling on the subject, not reflected from it. Typical acceptance angle is 180 degrees or a bit more. The correct method is to hold the meter at subject position and aim the white dome directly at camera position. It's fast and accurate in many situations."

BH photo's tutorial
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph