Gorgeous water drop series of photos

DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
edited December 15, 2005 in Holy Macro
I was in another forum and found this link. These water drop images are stunning!

Water drops

Comments

• cakanodecakanode Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    WOAH! Those are amazing. I was drawn to this link because I just finished reading a book called: "The hidden messages in water". Its by a japanese scientist named Masaru Emoto that photographs water crystals and their change in response to negative or positive influence. It is VERY interesting stuff, perhaps suggesting that water can store information and may even be affected by our words, music, or even thought. If you get a chance, check it out. It is very interesting and thought provoking.

--CK
    www.cakanode.smugmug.com

"To change the world starts with one step--no matter how small the first is always hardest of all"---DJM
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 14, 2005
    Holy cow!

bowdown.gif

I have a new hero. Now if only I could figure out how he does half of these... amd I'm supposed to be a master of fluid mechanics, this guy is good! My dynamic "liquid sculptures" now pale in comparison.

Believe me folks, the photography is the easy part here. This guys knows his drops, I've published a paper on some various drop impacts and jet impacts and they are not at all easy to get to work just right.

this one took me days, and its not even that good.

3328699-L.jpg

Wow. did I say wow?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    They blew me away
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Holy cow!

bowdown.gif

I have a new hero. Now if only I could figure out how he does half of these... amd I'm supposed to be a master of fluid mechanics, this guy is good! My dynamic "liquid sculptures" now pale in comparison.

Believe me folks, the photography is the easy part here. This guys knows his drops, I've published a paper on some various drop impacts and jet impacts and they are not at all easy to get to work just right.

this one took me days, and its not even that good.

3328699-L.jpg

Wow. did I say wow?

I was just stunned! I've seen a lot of water drop shots, but nothing like the ones he has on his site.
    edited December 14, 2005
    It seems
    cakanode wrote:
    WOAH! Those are amazing. I was drawn to this link because I just finished reading a book called: "The hidden messages in water". Its by a japanese scientist named Masaru Emoto that photographs water crystals and their change in response to negative or positive influence. It is VERY interesting stuff, perhaps suggesting that water can store information and may even be affected by our words, music, or even thought. If you get a chance, check it out. It is very interesting and thought provoking.

--CK

Something new is presented every day -- suggesting that perhaps we haven't even skimmed the surface or our world.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 14, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    I was just stunned! I've seen a lot of water drop shots, but nothing like the ones he has on his site.
    :jawdrop These are awesome. Thanks so much for posting the link.

Cheers,
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    Gawwwwwwwwwd They're Amazing
    Dee wrote:
    I was in another forum and found this link. These water drop images are stunning!

Water drops

Hey there Dee, how you doing :D
    What a great link, those drops truely are stunning aren't they, the shapes, the colours, and check out those multi-coloured ones :eek1 they are way cool, and the lighting ....... gawwwwwwd very very stunning indeed.
    Thanks for the link Dee....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited December 14, 2005
    Thanks Richard and Skippy
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey there Dee, how you doing :D
    What a great link, those drops truely are stunning aren't they, the shapes, the colours, and check out those multi-coloured ones :eek1 they are way cool, and the lighting ....... gawwwwwwd very very stunning indeed.
    Thanks for the link Dee....... Skippy (Australia)

Who knew water drops made THAT many different shapes and colors... not me :):
    edited December 14, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    Who knew water drops made THAT many different shapes and colors... not me :):
    As a scientist geek, I'm STILL trying to figure out how he does some of the multi-colored ones. Its boggling!
    eek7.gif
    Erik

• ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    WOW!!! That whole series is..well WOW!

Thanks for the link. Will never look at a water drop in quite the same way.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    I'm thinking most are not water
    DoctorIt wrote:
    As a scientist geek, I'm STILL trying to figure out how he does some of the multi-colored ones. Its boggling!
    eek7.gif
    I may be wrong but I am wondering if the liquid is in fact not water ?? ne_nau.gif
    Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 14, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    I may be wrong but I am wondering if the liquid is in fact not water ?? ne_nau.gif
    Skippy
    He explains it a bit on his site. Read this. Apparently he mixes dye, glycerine and soap to get the properties he needs. He refers only to "liquids" not water, so you probably are correct. A couple of them sure look like milk. ne_nau.gif
    edited December 14, 2005
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    He explains it a bit on his site. Read this. Apparently he mixes dye, glycerine and soap to get the properties he needs. He refers only to "liquids" not water, so you probably are correct. A couple of them sure look like milk. ne_nau.gif
    Yup. There is no way he could get some of the structures he does with just water. Many of those are studied phenoma that occur in the case of immiscible fluids (oil and water). To a lesser extreme, having fluids with different surface tension helps even more with the worthington jets and the crown formations. Soap (surfactant) is the most comman viscosity modifier, but it also gives you a hint of elasticiy. Glycerine on the other hand just gives you viscosity, so he's using that for weight.

He has a degree in Physics, I checked it out.

For those of you who don't work in a lab, let me tell you, this guys kit is some serious stuff. He must have some seriously precise flow control to make some of these events happen. I'm awed and jealous of his lab at the same time!
    :D
    Erik

edited December 15, 2005
    I bet you are!
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yup. There is no way he could get some of the structures he does with just water. Many of those are studied phenoma that occur in the case of immiscible fluids (oil and water). To a lesser extreme, having fluids with different surface tension helps even more with the worthington jets and the crown formations. Soap (surfactant) is the most comman viscosity modifier, but it also gives you a hint of elasticiy. Glycerine on the other hand just gives you viscosity, so he's using that for weight.

He has a degree in Physics, I checked it out.

For those of you who don't work in a lab, let me tell you, this guys kit is some serious stuff. He must have some seriously precise flow control to make some of these events happen. I'm awed and jealous of his lab at the same time!
    :D

There's just this small photo of his set up on that site, looks like an acrylic holding tank with some colored liquid in it, and a "diving board" for the drops to fall off of... fascinating. Wouldn't it be neat to see a video of the set up in action?

Maybe Andy can interview him?
    :):