Options

Slideshow skipping photos when started from light box

lbrubylbruby Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited October 25, 2013 in Bug Reporting
Hi,

I found a reproduceable bug this evening. I haven't tried this in more than one gallery, don't have time right now, but it happens every time in the one gallery I've been testing on. It's this gallery:

http://www.creationsxpressions.com/Category/San-Diego-Audubon-Outings/Lindo-Lake-092213/

If I open the first photo in this gallery in light box, and then click the play button to start the slideshow from inside the light box, the slideshow skips photos in the gallery. It's been pretty consistent in skipping the 9th thru the 16th photo, but it has also skipped other random photos each time I reproduce the issue. It happens whether I'm logged into my site or not logged in. It happens in Firefox 24.0 and IE 9. I haven't tried Chrome yet, but I don't think this is a browser related problem. It does not happen if I start the Slideshow by clicking the Slideshow icon from the Gallery page.

I tried searching existing bugs for this, and so far hadn't found it reported. Ran out of time to read through all of the pages of reported bugs.

Lisa

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2013
    I reproduced this on Chrome on Mac.

I notice that SmugMug's slideshow code pre-fetches the first 3 pages of photos when the slideshow begins, with 3 separate requests executed in parallel, each page being 8 photos. Those pages align perfectly with your 9-16 photo issue.

One way this problem could be caused is if SmugMug's code just assumes that the results from fetching these 3 pages will be returned from the server in the same order they were fetched. If they were doing that, you might see e.g. the second and third page of photos get swapped around, scrambling the display order and potentially causing one or two of the first three pages to never be shown.
  • Options
    lbrubylbruby Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    I reproduced this on Chrome on Mac.

I notice that SmugMug's slideshow code pre-fetches the first 3 pages of photos when the slideshow begins, with 3 separate requests executed in parallel, each page being 8 photos. Those pages align perfectly with your 9-16 photo issue.

One way this problem could be caused is if SmugMug's code just assumes that the results from fetching these 3 pages will be returned from the server in the same order they were fetched. If they were doing that, you might see e.g. the second and third page of photos get swapped around, scrambling the display order and potentially causing one or two of the first three pages to never be shown.

Thanks for looking at this Lamah. Interesting theory on the problem.

Lisa
  • Options
    barrybbarryb Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 9, 2013
    I've had the same problem ever since the new look smugmug arrived a few months ago. Happens on both Mac and PC with all browsers I've tried. A bit random, sometimes it works correctly, other times not.

I created a support request about it, but didn't get very far with the support team. Just responses that it worked for them fine. I even went to the bother of videoing the screen while it happened for the ticket.

Gave up in the end, but it's still happening.

One thing that may influence it is the viewer's location, as I'm assuming Smugmug make use of a CDN for more efficient delivery. I'm in Ireland, so their support team are probably receiving content from different CDN locations.

Interesting point about the pre-fetching.

- barry
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2013
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited October 15, 2013
    Many of my galleries will only make it 20 photos or so into a slide show before repeating, but will miss those past the 20th shot entirely. Safari, of course.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    GuyGGGuyGG Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 25, 2013
    I've had this problem frequently with the new slideshow system. It'll do the first handful of photos, then skip a half dozen or so, then continue on. It seems pretty random and sporadic. I've had to resort to using the manual lightbox viewing when showing new items in a gallery to somebody, so I know it's not skipping a bunch.

Frankly, the slideshow component is my least favorite thing about having switched over to the new SmugMug. I've liked most of the changes, but slideshow seems very temperamental, and fails to do such basic things as scaling pictures up to full screen. Though it was glitchy in multiple monitor situations, I very much miss the old slideshow component.