Paint Engine on XP

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
edited December 14, 2005 in Finishing School
Anyone out there running Fantastic Machine's Paint Engine filter successfully on a WinXP machine? I don't know if there's a major issue with that, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

I've tried installing the fmachine.ini file in both the C:\windows directory and the C:\windows\system32 directories.

The main filter comes up, but the 50 or so presets aren't dropping down.
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    It works fine for me. I use it as a plug-in in PSPX. I'm on XP Media.

Bear
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited December 14, 2005
    Hmmmmm
    behr655 wrote:
    It works fine for me. I use it as a plug-in in PSPX. I'm on XP Media.
    Bear
    Well, then I must be doing something wrong somewhere. Glad you've got it running.

I just got email back from Fantastic Machines with a new copy attached. It seems that I have it installed properly, but still no joy.

I had Paint Engine working great on my older computer with PSP, and have mirrored the setup on the new computer exactly. Still nothing. This just might be an issue with Intel's Pentium D 830 dual core processor, but all my other plugins (about 100 of them) work fine. Gotta say, that I am surprised with what DOES work on XP so far. I've even stuck some old WIN3.1 8-bit software on it and they run without complaining. This one puzzles me though.
    C:\ 
    |_Program Files
       |_Jasc Software Inc
    	  |_Paint Shop Pro
    		|_Plugins
    		  |_FantasticMachines (with Pe.8bf inside)

C:\windows (with fmachine.ini inside)

I've also tried placing the .INI elsewhere with no luck.

That should be all I need, right? No other profiles? The plugin shows up, but the old version came with about 50 presets in the dropdown. I don't get any of those. I can create them all again based upon the settings in the dialog, but that's way too much work. Rats!
    My Smugmug
  • behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005

Hmmmmm.....

Did you clean up the registry before you re-installed it. Sometimes relics from the old install can foul a new install.

Bear
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited December 14, 2005
    behr655 wrote:

Hmmmmm.....

Did you clean up the registry before you re-installed it. Sometimes relics from the old install can foul a new install.

Bear
    downloaded brand new. didn't move it. headscratch.gif
    My Smugmug