Options

Slik pro 700dx questions

DKphotographyDKphotography Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited September 28, 2013 in Accessories
I am in the market for a new tripod and have heard good things about the 700dx, however, I am uncertain it will do what I want, and am looking for opinions on how it will work with a Nikon d800 with grip and a nikon 300mm 2.8.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited September 28, 2013
    The Slik Pro 700DX A.M.T. Super Titanium Alloy Tripod is available without a head:

http://www.adorama.com/SL700DXLT.html

... or with a 3-way pan head:

http://www.adorama.com/SL700D.html

While the basic tripod appears to be sturdy enough for your stated use of "Nikon D800 with grip and a Nikkor 300mm, f2.8", one owner mentioned that the pan head on the second model was a bit "whimpy" (his word), and it does look like it might be a little small for that application.

You may wish to consider a Slik SH-909 Professional 3-Way Pan Head instead, or (my favorite 3-way pan head) a Manfrotto 3047 head (model III). While the Manfrotto 3047 head is no longer available new, you can find them used at reasonable prices and I've used mine even with a 4" x 5" Calumet monorail view camera. (You may need to get a 3/8" - 1/4" reducing bushing to adapt a larger head to this particular set of legs, but I don't know for sure. Be sure to ask when you order if you go this route.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    DKphotographyDKphotography Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    Thank you Ziggy, I will be ordering just the legs as I have an usable ball head
  • Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    I use the Slik Pro 700DX with a Jobu Jr gimbal. It easily handles my heaviest load of 8# (including the 1 3/4# of gimbal).

Padded upper legs make it comfortable to carry over your shoulder and I like the snap locks on the legs. It is also a good choice for taller shooters.

Fully extended the top of the tripod is 6' 3".

The center column is removable and the legs can spread wide enough to get the camera quite low to the ground.

It weighs 7# and will support 15#.

Best of all, the price is right :)

Cheers, Don
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    What's the application? Personally, I wouldn't be happy with a center-column tripod for that rig. Ok, 300mm isn't super-telephoto range. But you can easily put a 2X extender on that beast and have a 600mm F5.6 lens which definitely is super-telephoto range. And for that you want a rock-solid platform. If you're shooting sports and/or wildlife, I'd want a gimball head on a set of heavy duty long legs with no center column. You're looking at up to $1500 for a setup like that, rather than $179 which frankly seems like a total mismatch for the camera/lens you're using. But again, it really depends on your expectations and the type of photography you do.
  • Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    FYI the head mount screw is max @ 55" Without using the center column. My bad for quoting the manufactures spec's.

To be clear, I don't use the center column and still can't see through the viewfinder at max height.

Is it super solid ?

No.

But I can carry it around easily and use proper long lens shooting techniques :)

(35mm equivalent of 800mm)

Cheers, Don