Options

Java Beta Uploader

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited December 14, 2005 in SmugMug Support
FYI: Every time I've tried to use the new uploader it only uploads so many files and quits. There is no consistancy. The last time I tried was today and only upload 6 files then stopped. I've tried it every day for about 3 days with no success.

kc7dji:wxwax

Comments

• Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    I use it all the time with no problem... you have to be sure you don't try to use the browser window which initiated the upload.. I have done this several times where during the upload, I happen to start surfing the web and then I realize I just killed my upload. It would be nice if the upload window could sustain itself without relying on the browser screen being left alone.

At work: Windows 2000, IE 6.something, LAN
    At home: Windows XP, IE 6.something, CableModem
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    kc7dji wrote:
    FYI: Every time I've tried to use the new uploader it only uploads so many files and quits. There is no consistancy. The last time I tried was today and only upload 6 files then stopped. I've tried it every day for about 3 days with no success.

kc7djiumph.gif

HI Kc,

Could you tell us what browser, and platform (Mac, PC?) and what type of connection you have to the internet? Are you running any firewall, or accelerator software?

ear.gif
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2005
    Here ya go Andy. Hope it helps

Situation 1: (Home)
    PC: Home grown AMD 2.8Ghz 512k ram
    Internet: DSL
    Firewall: Linksys Router
    Browser: IE6.0
    All updates installed.

Situation 2: (Work)
    PC: Compaq (new) PC 2.8Ghz 1.2Ghz ram
    Internet: Corporate (T3's)
    Firewall: Corporat - many
    Browser: IE6.0
    All updates installed.

I've tried this from both home and work. Both on XP Pro. Everything works fine, I get no errors. The window will appear and the xfer will start just at some point it just stops and never resumes. I end up closing the window. One time I got maybe 30 files up. The next time maybe 10 and today I tried it on the corporate work computer on the "Fast" internet line and only go 6 before it stopped. Hope that helps!

kc7djine_nau.gif

Andy wrote:
    HI Kc,

Could you tell us what browser, and platform (Mac, PC?) and what type of connection you have to the internet? Are you running any firewall, or accelerator software?

ear.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    kc7dji wrote:
    Here ya go Andy. Hope it helps

Have you tried it with Firefox?
  • Options
    thoskthosk Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 14, 2005
    I've been able to upload several hundred images (up to ~800MB) at a time with the java uploader. But about half the time I use it on a big (several hour long) batch of photos, it will fail. From what I can tell, it's due to an interruption in internet connectivity caused by my ISP or the phone company providing my DSL line.

Obviously Smugmug can't do anything about the quality of my internet connection, but it would be nice if the uploader were able to auto-resume instead of just quitting when there's a [typically brief] interruption in connectivity. I tend to get hit by such outages on average once or twice a day that last typically no more than a couple minutes and it's very frustrating to queue up an 8-hour batch to run over night or while I'm away during the day only to find that it aborted 10 minutes in.

For the record, I'm on Windows XP w/SP2, using IE 6, but I do have good reason to think the connectivity issue is not at my end.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2005
    I think that is exactly my case as well. I think it's nothing more than the upload process loosing it's connection even for a split second and it fails to resume.

thosk wrote:
    I've been able to upload several hundred images (up to ~800MB) at a time with the java uploader. But about half the time I use it on a big (several hour long) batch of photos, it will fail. From what I can tell, it's due to an interruption in internet connectivity caused by my ISP or the phone company providing my DSL line.

Obviously Smugmug can't do anything about the quality of my internet connection, but it would be nice if the uploader were able to auto-resume instead of just quitting when there's a [typically brief] interruption in connectivity. I tend to get hit by such outages on average once or twice a day that last typically no more than a couple minutes and it's very frustrating to queue up an 8-hour batch to run over night or while I'm away during the day only to find that it aborted 10 minutes in.

For the record, I'm on Windows XP w/SP2, using IE 6, but I do have good reason to think the connectivity issue is not at my end.