Options

Grey Market

jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
edited September 30, 2013 in Cameras
what exactly is it?

looking at Cameras on ebay I see some better prices than others (new) however no where in the cheaper listings does it state manufacturers warranty? what else is up? are they shadey?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rhtrht Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2013
    Well, the cameras themselves might not be shady (as long as you aren't buying stolen goods). But you are buying off-shore so your support options should something go wrong will be more circuitous (ie, you won't be going through your local outlet of the camera manufacturer).

In the case of some professional services programs, they expect that you have local market equipment and in the process of applying for membership, you put the serial numbers for each camera and lens in the application.

As for my thoughts on the matter - I'll be sitting on the fence this time around.
    w: Reheat Images
    Torn between cycling and photography!
  • Options
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    Grey market cameras (sometimes referred to as "Import"), and other photography related items, appear to be just like the licensed copies in every respect. They are not crippled or deprived in their functions or even the box contents, "except" that they do not carry a standard manufacturer's warranty for the country of purchase.

The reason is that, unlike licensed copies of camera bodies, etc., grey market bodies are not imported by authorized channels (aka, middle-men). While this is absolutely legal, the lack of warranty coverage may be a purchasing concern, and even a serious aggravation if you need to file a claim for repairs (which will not normally be covered by the manufacturer.)

If you want to save some money, a grey market body may still be a good purchase, if you purchase from a vendor that allows the additional purchase of a third-party warranty. The total combined purchase cost (grey market body plus third-party warranty) may still be under the cost of an "authorized" and factory warranted copy.

So why can't Canon, or most manufacturers, tell you up front whether a particular body is grey market or not by the serial number?

I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe it's because there are no "special" serial numbers set aside for grey market goods. The retailer selling the grey market goods is simply purchasing from the manufacturer directly and without using an authorized "importer" for your country. In effect, the retailer "is" the importer, but they are an importer who does not have any authority to offer factory warranty service. Factory warranty service is assigned by the authorized importer, not by the dealer nor by the factory itself.

Any authorized dealer should have a clear notification of the product status for each product; generally that will be either US or grey market status in this country/market (USA).

Your best defense against accidentally purchasing a grey market, un-authorized and un-warranted, copy of photographic merchandise is to purchase through an authorized dealer for your country. In the USA my recommendations are B&H and Adorama. Both of these dealers have US versions (with US warranties) and grey market versions (without a manufacturer warranty, but generally with their own warranty), and they both generally offer third-party extended warranties as well.

If you should need to file a claim later, if you purchased from either Adorama or B&H and if you purchased the US version (which are very well marked on their respective sites), then you should get a factory warranty for the item. Both of those companies are extremely good at after sale remediation too, so if there are problems they will go to bat for you.

In Canada I believe that your best choices are The Camera Store, Vistek and Henry's Canada.

Finally, here are the B&H and Adorama links to their respective grey market policies:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/USGrey.jsp

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=FAQ#GreyMarket
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies , I was at Henry's the other day . The problem is If I buy in Canada i will pay 100+more for the camera , add 13% sales tax so it will end up being 3-400 more than buying in the US right of the bat from B&H etc... If i have a warranty issue buying in Canada , i will drop it to them(Henry's) for warranty and they ship it to Canon? or do i ship to Canon? if bought in the US I assume Canon Canada will warranty it? btw i live close to the Canada Us Border so it is not a big deal to drop over there to pick stuff up.

I do know that Canon Canada has superb customer service as I had repairs done to my t2I and they have a flat rate charge and was returned very fast. just wasn't sure about this Grey market stuff , assumed it was without Manu warranty
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    I don't know if a US warranty will apply to Canada, but B&H should know. You can always send them an e-mail.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/helpcenter.jsp

Then under the Help Center tab choose Contact Us for the contact forms for the Sales and Customer Service departments.

Finally, I believe that our member, "henryp", Henry Posner, is still with B&H and he's a good guy. thumb.gifthumbclap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    rhtrht Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    I'm not sure if they use the serial number to track the import status of the camera or the purchase receipts.

I know when I joined NPS, I had to submit the details of 2 pro cameras and 3 pro lenses (serial numbers and purchase receipts) along with some details on the company letterhead and an authorisation from a senior officer.

They were very clear in only accepting Australian market goods. But the irony is that the box for the D3S has a sticker on the side of it D3S (HK set). rolleyes1.gif Although the warranty documents inside the box had the local details on them. You do kind of want something in return for your $7100. eek7.gif
    w: Reheat Images
    Torn between cycling and photography!