Options

problem: drop blocks into highlighted areas

crocknycrockny Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited October 28, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I don't even get the drop blocks into highlighted areas bit - none of this is user friendly to me ... what highlighted areas? And does content block mean I type something in another program and paste it into my site? I'm clueless ...

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2013
    Did you choose a theme yet? This assumes you have one.
    Before clicking modify site, go to the URL you want to work on, such as homepage.
    Then click modify site.
    Choose which area of your site you want to modify from the top right corner: choose entire site, homepage, folders, or galleries.

Then there are 3 tabs, content, theme, layout.
    You could check layout first and choose some of the basics you want to try.
    The theme tab should have a theme chosen, and if you over over it there's a wrench that will let you tweak more settings for the theme.
    Back to content.
    Go to the content tab. Choose a block you want to use
    Choose the one you want. Example: photo.
    Drag the photo block into the page. Different sections of the page will light up, or not.
    Look for the lighting up to indicate that you can drop the block in place.
    Different content blocks may go in only some places, or in many places. You can place multiple blocks of different content, above, beside, or below, other content blocks.

You may have to hover the block you are holding with the mouse, to find the highlight/drop areas, they can be thin. Then in each block, you will see at the top a wrench and a triangle, for settings and positioning tweaking.

This is not really hard once you've done a couple of them. It's fun to find the customizations and what they do.

CSS for the entire site is input through: Theme/Current Theme/wrench/Advanced Tab/Add CSS.
    In any gallery you can customize just the gallery with both HTML and CSS as well, there is a CSS block to drag into a specific gallery.

If this isn't easy to follow, just say and I'll try again.
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2013
    OK - first of all - I fiddle around with positioning things and can't quite get what I want but I say save for later and it shows me a page with ridiculously huge photos that looks like nothing I've just done ... I chose Dina as my base ...
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2013
    I have not used save for later so I can't speak to that.
    What I do is "Publish", which is private for you only (does not commit you to the new format).
    When I come back next time, I pick up editing where I left off.

I suspect that you have 2 themes now, one that you have saved for later and one that is what is "published".

Open to customize, on the right, click themes, scroll to bottom of the list to see "my themes", click plus sign to see what you have there. Choose the one you want to resume working on.

"publish" has worked for me, very simple.

If and when I want to try something completely new, I start a 2nd theme.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2013
    By the way, you cannot copy a theme you have been working on, to a new version/new theme. You can only start a new theme and save that.

This means the more committed you are to the edits you are making, the more time you have put into the theme, the harder it will be to change themes. Any customization you make, you will have do a 2nd time in a new theme.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2013
    I think I need to ask one question at a time - it's too overwhelming ...

How come after I arrange my homepage as best I can and hit done, save for later, I get what looks like a home page with nothing on it but huge photos?

http://untamednewyork.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2013
    Just saw your last post -- I thought publish meant you were done and everyone would see it ...
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2013
    And "testing" is the only them I have under my themes ... and it looks totally different from the two other home pages I see! (tearing hair out)
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2013
    Try publishing what you see, which will take you to the site as if you were the visitor and this was "live".

If it's still wrong, someone else with more experience may have to help at this point. There is a place where you can choose the photo sizes or style type (portrait, thumbnails, etc. I'm not sure where you need to go to tweak them.

You could also try, in the block that is causing the problems (did you add a photo block for example? or folders?), there's a wrench on the top bar of the block, left corner (also the triangle for positiioning). Click the wrench and see your options to change sizes, etc.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2013
    Yes I see what I've done so far now - thanks! Now how do I add other text to my menu bar?
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2013
    Click the wrench in the menu bar and see the options for formatting and there's a tab for links. Add links as you wish.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2013
    Arrrgh - in legacy smugmug I have categories labeled Nature, Events, etc. I want to make a Nature link - I follow the instructions, select the nature main folder, hit done, and it says "undefined" ....
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2013
    I have not had that happen. Maybe test - try another folder to see what happens. Is this happening with every link or just this one? Is there anything special about this folder relative to the others?
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    crockny wrote: »
    Arrrgh - in legacy smugmug I have categories labeled Nature, Events, etc. I want to make a Nature link - I follow the instructions, select the nature main folder, hit done, and it says "undefined" ....
    perhaps you better make a menu first
    drag a menubox into sitewide field
    then edit that menu

you can name the links into whatever you want

and , as long as you not migrate to new , nobody can see it except yourself
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    Make sure you gave the link a "Title" ... otherwise it'll be empty.

For detailed instructions on how to make the menu see the SmugMug help page: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1222523-customization-how-do-i-make-a-navigation-menu-

SmugMug has some great tutorials on how to create the New SmugMug. Just like any "new" thing there will be a learning curve. Your Heritage SmugMug site had a learning curve that you overcame. There's a lot of great help on the SmugMug pages (http://help.smugmug.com and http://school.smugmug.com) as well as a lot of great people on here. I guarantee you that by staying calm, not getting frustrated, and playing around you'll find it's actually pretty easy to make a great looking page here.

As mentioned, nobody will see what you've done until you choose to "UNVEIL" your site. By "Publishing" you're site you're just making your changes active. Saving it for Later keeps your changes in SmugMug's servers but doesn't make it active for you to see.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    I think it's easier to start from scratch than to try to reformat your legacy pages! I'm trying to set up my bio page - my photo has gone into an area marked "reserved for smugmug content" and I can't seem to move it because I can't get to the move icon ... and in general I'm having trouble placing things where I want them on the page ...
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013
    I think it's easier to start from scratch than to try to reformat your legacy pages! I'm trying to set up my bio page - my photo has gone into an area marked "reserved for smugmug content" and I can't seem to move it because I can't get to the move icon ... and in general I'm having trouble placing things where I want them on the page ...

I'm pretty sure that is the gallery section from Legacy's Journal(Old) page - it doesn't transfer nicely. You can't seem to do anything with it.
    I couldn't get rid of it either and did as you are - created a new page in New Smug
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013
    All (most) of the legacy info (text/html) type pages, bio, guestbook, prices, etc. should be recreated on
    NewSmug as new "Pages".

To create these pages go to the organizer page. You can create a folder for all these type pages or
    just have them stand alone'.

Stand alone - Highlight your name on the upper left tree.
    See Create button above it and click "page" in drop.

Find the new page at bottom of tree and click it.
    Click "Done" upper right to open page.
    Click customize > customize site
    "Just This Page" should be highlight in the right flyout
    Below it all all the content blocks you can drag to the page.
    Some of them you have to click to expand

For an info page you probably want a text or html box and maybe a photo.
    I'd start by coping whatever legacy content and paste in.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    All (most) of the legacy info (text/html) type pages, bio, guestbook, prices, etc. should be recreated on
    NewSmug as new "Pages".

Allan, I haven't started this yet, but I didn't think I would do it this way. For a page where I had a lot of HTML, I was going to go to the page where I see it, and then customize the page and add in the HTML or text blocks. Copy the text that I see, into the new blocks, and delete whatever I need to.

Why would I create new pages if that's going to change the URL? Is there anything wrong with doing it the way I'm thinking? Thanks.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Allan, I haven't started this yet, but I didn't think I would do it this way. For a page where I had a lot of HTML, I was going to go to the page where I see it, and then customize the page and add in the HTML or text blocks. Copy the text that I see, into the new blocks, and delete whatever I need to.

Why would I create new pages if that's going to change the URL? Is there anything wrong with doing it the way I'm thinking? Thanks.
    Are you using the legacy gallery description for this? If so you could just edit the description. No new
    boxes needed.

If on legacy you used an unlisted gallery and the generic link /gallery/XXXXX_xxxx so the
    path is not shown in the browser url it will be shown in NewSmug. On NewSmug if you
    create the page at the top level there will be no path shown.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2013
    How do I change the size and font of my bio? The text settings are minimal to say the least ...
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2013
    I'm trying to upload my logo with a transparent background (as a PNG) and it's still coming out with the white background ...
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2013
    Zenfolio's starting to look pretty good to me ...
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2013
    Crockny, I've been checking Zenfolio and I'm not too excited by some of their limits. Just sayin'...
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2013
    Well this new SmugMug is not at all user friendly - you have to be a techno wiz to customize your site ... and what's with the stupid little green bars where you can drop something in a place you don't want it? I just want to change the font and size of my bio text ... why isn't there an easy way to do this? Yes, I'm cranky!
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2013
    I have not done a bio yet so hopefully someone will help with changing the font.
    The little green bars and boxes are just showing you options. When I'm not sure where I want a block, I move the mouse/block around on the page and see where the green bars show up. Sometimes if you already have blocks in place, you can still add blocks between, above, or below them.

I'm kind of cranky myself over some of the limits in the new smugmug, but on the other hand it's kind of helpful to just keep playing with the formatting options, as it helps me get more comfortable.

One example of Zenfolio versus Smugmug is that in new SM, CSS no longer is added in only one place. So if you want to customize just one page, you have to go to that page and add a CSS block. It turns out Zenfolio has the same limitation.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2013
    One example of Zenfolio versus Smugmug is that in new SM, CSS no longer is added in only one place. So if you want to customize just one page, you have to go to that page and add a CSS block. It turns out Zenfolio has the same limitation.

Huh? In the New SmugMug if you add CSS to your Advanced Theme settings CSS section it applies to all pages. I really don't ever use CSS blocks on my New SmugMug page.
    dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2013
    leftquark wrote: »
    Huh? In the New SmugMug if you add CSS to your Advanced Theme settings CSS section it applies to all pages. I really don't ever use CSS blocks on my New SmugMug page.

Well, I am known for jumping in with an answer that can cause more problems than it solves... but I thought that if you wanted to add CSS for a single page, like,
    Plants/Flowers/Red/Tulips/InMyBackyard,
    you would need to go to InMyBackyard and add the css block there, for that page only.

Isn't that why they have CSS blocks now? For individual pages?
    I swear I saw complaints about this, because users miss the single CSS location where they were able to add all code for any individual page, as well as for site-wide.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2013
    Well, I am known for jumping in with an answer that can cause more problems than it solves... but I thought that if you wanted to add CSS for a single page, like,
    Plants/Flowers/Red/Tulips/InMyBackyard,
    you would need to go to InMyBackyard and add the css block there, for that page only.

Isn't that why they have CSS blocks now? For individual pages?
    I swear I saw complaints about this, because users miss the single CSS location where they were able to add all code for any individual page, as well as for site-wide.

Well yes, the CSS block is used for customizing an individual page differently than the rest of the pages. I'm doing that on my Customizations pages on my website, for example (http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations).

But isn't that exactly what you'd want on SmugMug? A way to customize the site all in one place, then a second method to customize an individual page. I don't remember having that option in Legacy SmugMug. You could only customize the entire site.

Are you saying you wish on the Advanced tab there was one button for "Sitewide CSS" and one for "CSS Just for This Page"? I don't think it's very complicated the way it is now. Or are you taking about Zenfolio?
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2013
    leftquark wrote: »
    Well yes, the CSS block is used for customizing an individual page differently than the rest of the pages. I'm doing that on my Customizations pages on my website, for example (http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations).

But isn't that exactly what you'd want on SmugMug? A way to customize the site all in one place, then a second method to customize an individual page. I don't remember having that option in Legacy SmugMug. You could only customize the entire site.

Are you saying you wish on the Advanced tab there was one button for "Sitewide CSS" and one for "CSS Just for This Page"? I don't think it's very complicated the way it is now. Or are you taking about Zenfolio?

I thought my old CSS (which was created for my by all the heros on this forum!!! iloveyou.gif) had CSS for both the site and individual pages. In fact I know it did, I recall putting gallery numbers to limit it. I think this is what the system should be. Asking people to remember which pages have what customization, and having to navigate all through or down through all the pages to get to the block, and doing this for every individual page, is crazy-making. Doesn't legacy also let you populate down through folders? So all pages in a folder? This part I'm less clear about, and maybe this is a separate issue altogether but currently one cannot set separate formatting rules, or theme rules, for a folder and it's subfolders and galleries.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2013
    So do I have to add CSS or HTML to change the font and size of my bio text????