Options

Manual sort - sort by number

adamsc123adamsc123 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited October 1, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I made the transition to the new Smugmug and really enjoy all of the changes. However, some of my gallery sort orders have been changed. I know there are plenty of threads on DGrin about various sort order issues, but I'm hoping my question is simple. Is there a way to use "sort by number" as was offered in the legacy version of Smugmug? I don't want my photos ordered...I want them randomized. Setting the optional sort orders won't allow me to do this for my gallery, and I'm only left with the option to drag and drop. That would take an unwanted amount of time given that my gallery has thousands of photos, and the drag and drop feature seems to work incredibly slow on my computer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

http://adamschultz.smugmug.com/Planes-Trains-and-Automobiles/Charlotte-Railroad-Photos

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited October 1, 2013
    As you already know there isn't a "sort by number" option. I don't remember that option existing in legacy smug either.

You could use file names to sort, maybe by pre-pending a number at the beginning of the name. If you do that remember that the numbers will need to have the same number of digits since the sort is essentially using alphanumerics as opposed to numbers. Keep in mind that if you choose to sort by filename that the filename can't be changed once the photo is uploaded; you would need to set the sequence before uploading.

--- Denise
  • Options
    rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2013
    As you already know there isn't a "sort by number" option. I don't remember that option existing in legacy smug either.

You could use file names to sort, maybe by pre-pending a number at the beginning of the name. If you do that remember that the numbers will need to have the same number of digits since the sort is essentially using alphanumerics as opposed to numbers. Keep in mind that if you choose to sort by filename that the filename can't be changed once the photo is uploaded; you would need to set the sequence before uploading.

--- Denise

Actually Denise the sort in new SM, unlike old SM, uses the numbers as numbers and not alphas. So using different lengths of numbers will work for numeric sorting. This revised behaviour has caused an issue on my site where some galleries no longer sort properly. Although technically not a bug, I've reported this and requested an option to use numerics as alphas for filename sorting where numbers are included. Something like A-Z Z-A and A1-Z9 Z9-A1

Some sorts using dates may also be a problem with the new sort i.e. 201306 vs 20130528

Paul
    http://paultavares.smugmug.com/