Camera settings

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited December 14, 2005 in Cameras
How should one set the camera as far as contrast, saturation and sharpness?
As I film shooter I always wanted everything pin point tack sharp...soI have been setting my camera sharpness to the hardess point, same with contrast and saturation, as I used Fuji film due to it contrastyness and it extreme saturation of colors.

Will this cause a problem in post processing?

All help welcomed and Many thanks given in ADVANCE.
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    I usually keep contrast at -0- or -1, and sharpness at +1 when shooting JPEG. The exceptions being when I'm shooting hi ISO, where I reduce sharpness to -1 or -2. Setting sharpening at greater than 0 when ISO is 800+ will sharpen the noise particles quite nicely, making them harder to get rid of. I have some settings stored in the custom parameter sets for special purposes, like for high ISO.

You could avoid all this by just shooting RAW if you have the time and storage.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    JCDoss wrote:
    I usually keep contrast at -0- or -1, and sharpness at +1 when shooting JPEG. The exceptions being when I'm shooting hi ISO, where I reduce sharpness to -1 or -2. Setting sharpening at greater than 0 when ISO is 800+ will sharpen the noise particles quite nicely, making them harder to get rid of. I have some settings stored in the custom parameter sets for special purposes, like for high ISO.

You could avoid all this by just shooting RAW if you have the time and storage.

Thanks.
    I forgot to add that I always shoot raw (never jpeg or tiff) and with my A2 very seldom do I get out of iso 64....but never above 200 and with the 7D I almost always stay at ISO 100...I have ventured higher when I absolutely could not use a tripod or monopod. I actually shot a dance program with available light and ventured to 1600 in program mode and all setings were I believe null and in raw..but I am still learning rthe 7D and A2 for that matter....actually I am new to Digital...so I will be learning for a long time.
    I very seldom save in jpeg unless I absolutely have to for uploading.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    The image parameters only control JPEG output. So, since you shoot in RAW, don't worry about them. They'll only affect the JPEG preview you see on your LCD.

Ben
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    BenA2 wrote:
    The image parameters only control JPEG output. So, since you shoot in RAW, don't worry about them. They'll only affect the JPEG preview you see on your LCD.

Ben
    really!!! Wow the tings the manual doesn't tell you.....So I will get same results with everything at null or at the highest setting and need to make all changes post? OKAY, KOOOL.

Thanks a million.