Options

Red Squirrels

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited November 9, 2013 in Wildlife
Ki
Here are a few pf my latest red squirrel shots taking the advice I was previously given.
C & C once again most appreciated.
Bob
RF1A0212-X3.jpg
RF1A0104-X3.jpg
RF1A0232-X3.jpg
RF1A0239-X3.jpg
RF1A0284-X3.jpg
RF1A0236-X3.jpg
RF1A0293-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited October 12, 2013
    canon400d wrote: »
    Ki
    Here are a few pf my latest red squirrel shots taking the advice I was previously given.
    C & C once again most appreciated.
    Bob
    RF1A0212-X3.jpg
    RF1A0104-X3.jpg
    RF1A0232-X3.jpg
    RF1A0239-X3.jpg
    RF1A0284-X3.jpg
    RF1A0236-X3.jpg
    RF1A0293-X3.jpg

I was wondering if these were better taken at a lower level?
    Bob
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2013
    canon400d wrote: »
    I was wondering if these were better taken at a lower level?
    Bob

Bob, I've copied a brief response I made about these in the 'fallow buck' thread - maybe you missed it first time round or (more likely?) you want an opinion other than mine :)

+
    Yes, I think they're better for having been taken from a lower pov (than previously) ... but a low (or better, maybe - an appropriate to the subject) pov - just by itself won't turn a 'Hmmmm' shot into a stunning one, just because it's been taken from low down - still have to consider the usual factors - Light / background / composition / pose.

Decent light too, btw

Copied from other thread ...

<< Had a quick look at the squirrels.
    Stuff I noticed
    Mottled, distracting backgrounds - caused by leaves.
    Branches that can't be cropped out and are in the way.
    Still seem too high - was the cam on the ground, or you lying on the ground, with elbows on same, cam in hands, or something else?
    Thought some shots would've been better with more space in front of the subject.

All imo, of course, but hth? >>

pp

Bob - just added this pic to give you some idea of what (I consider) the difference is by using a low pov.

Not a particularly exciting / good pic (Grey, not Red, only half orig frame area, Meh light, not doing anything interesting etc) but it presented itself for this single shot when I was in a local (to outlaws) park during last xmas when I was getting 'away from it all':)

Only put here to show what I've been talking about re low pov / bg etc - I'll happily remove if you don't want it in your thread - if it'd been munching a nut (as your No 1 pic) it'd been a better pic imo :)

(Btw - I had cam on a bean bag at path level (by a pond) when this showed itself at the top of a nearby grassy incline - so I ended up shooting up this incline, with very oof trees in the bg)
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2013
    Bob, I've copied a brief response I made about these in the 'fallow buck' thread - maybe you missed it first time round or (more likely?) you want an opinion other than mine :)

+
    Yes, I think they're better for having been taken from a lower pov (than previously) ... but a low (or better, maybe - an appropriate to the subject) pov - just by itself won't turn a 'Hmmmm' shot into a stunning one, just because it's been taken from low down - still have to consider the usual factors - Light / background / composition / pose.

Decent light too, btw

Copied from other thread ...

<< Had a quick look at the squirrels.
    Stuff I noticed
    Mottled, distracting backgrounds - caused by leaves.
    Branches that can't be cropped out and are in the way.
    Still seem too high - was the cam on the ground, or you lying on the ground, with elbows on same, cam in hands, or something else?
    Thought some shots would've been better with more space in front of the subject.

All imo, of course, but hth? >>

pp

Bob - just added this pic to give you some idea of what (I consider) the difference is by using a low pov.

Not a particularly exciting / good pic (Grey, not Red, only half orig frame area, Meh light, not doing anything interesting etc) but it presented itself for this single shot when I was in a local (to outlaws) park during last xmas when I was getting 'away from it all':)

Only put here to show what I've been talking about re low pov / bg etc - I'll happily remove if you don't want it in your thread - if it'd been munching a nut (as your No 1 pic) it'd been a better pic imo :)

(Btw - I had cam on a bean bag at path level (by a pond) when this showed itself at the top of a nearby grassy incline - so I ended up shooting up this incline, with very oof trees in the bg)

I apologise PP for not seeing your post in the other thread. I see exactly what you mean from the photo you have been so kind to put up> I really do appreciate it. I was lying on the ground on a mat. I had my elbows on the mat and I am sure it would have been better is I had the camera on the ground.
    Many thanks again.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2013
    Bob - no apols needed - these things happen :)

Something I used to (and still) do ... is a google image search on ... whatever subject I'm interested in / taking pics of etc.
    Note the ones that appeal and why ... and ditto for the junk - why they are...

Not suggesting you / me / anyone should then just imitate / copy (although I see that nowadays with hide based pics ... recognising setups / bgs etc) ... but imo it provides a starting point re what to aim at.
    In my own case, re waterfowl (especially) , I very quickly came to the conclusion that putting into practice the std advice of 'getting low' was going to be the approach needed to get the sort of pics that appeal (to me).

Making / improving the gear to do this also provides additional stimuli for (rapidly) aging grey matter too :) ... 'use it or lose it' eh?

Bear in mind, of course that a shot similar to mine could've been taken if cam had been at the same height as the grassy mound, just as the squirrel was 'coming over the horizon' ... assuming no junk in the bg then came into view - scrabbling around isn't always essential, although water-based horizons rarely (if ever) lie :)

pp
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2013
    Bob - no apols needed - these things happen :)

Something I used to (and still) do ... is a google image search on ... whatever subject I'm interested in / taking pics of etc.
    Note the ones that appeal and why ... and ditto for the junk - why they are...

Not suggesting you / me / anyone should then just imitate / copy (although I see that nowadays with hide based pics ... recognising setups / bgs etc) ... but imo it provides a starting point re what to aim at.
    In my own case, re waterfowl (especially) , I very quickly came to the conclusion that putting into practice the std advice of 'getting low' was going to be the approach needed to get the sort of pics that appeal (to me).

Making / improving the gear to do this also provides additional stimuli for (rapidly) aging grey matter too :) ... 'use it or lose it' eh?

Bear in mind, of course that a shot similar to mine could've been taken if cam had been at the same height as the grassy mound, just as the squirrel was 'coming over the horizon' ... assuming no junk in the bg then came into view - scrabbling around isn't always essential, although water-based horizons rarely (if ever) lie :)

pp

Thanks again PP I now see exactly where you are coming from and you are certainly correct in everything you say. I will have to do more google searches as I just googled shooting at low levels and very interesting indeed. I will have to get down more often as I can see the difference in an image. At times I do find it difficult getting up after laying down because of the major 'C' surgery. But with these results it is well worth it.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    kscooperkscooper Registered Users Posts: 387 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2013
    Bob -

These have fine isolation and a very nice color palette.

Eric

good gear; not enough time
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2013
    kscooper wrote: »
    Bob -

These have fine isolation and a very nice color palette.

Thanks ever so much I am pleased you like them.
    Bob
  • Options
    OsoOso Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2013
    I think these are very fine contributations to the field of squirrelography.

Having a camera with a flip out screen really helps when putting camera on the ground or holding over the head and framing with live view -- one of the things I like best about my Nikon D5100.

Steve
    Pics: http://stevehymon.smugmug.com
    Blot: http://stevehymonphotos.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2013
    This is a darn good looking squirrel (sorry, Harry). The colors are beautiful, and I like that you can see what the squirrel is eating. The squirrels around here aren't nearly this pretty! Nice series. Best, Pam
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2013
    Oso wrote: »
    ....the field of squirrelography.

Laughing.gif! - now, that's funny!

So, Harry... see... it's a legit "science" rolleyes1.gif

Very nice shots Bob!
    Also, glad you got your 100-400 squared-away!

btw... A recent issue of BBC Wildlife Magazine featured Red Squirrels on the cover - I guess they are popular over there!
    http://www.discoverwildlife.com/issue/september-2013
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    ... // ...

btw... A recent issue of BBC Wildlife Magazine featured Red Squirrels on the cover - I guess they are popular over there!

Snippet from here ...
    http://www.wild-wonders.com/the_photographers_featured.asp?show=02

<<Favourite species and places in Europe?
    I have four: ... // ...

While some photographers have made their name photographing sharks and tigers and elephants, I've made mine, such as it is, photographing small furry mammals with large incisors. Over the years red squirrels have kept the wolf from my door and they remain for this, and more sentimental reasons, my favourite species to photograph. I owe a debt of gratitude to European beavers too >>

pp
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Laughing.gif! - now, that's funny!

So, Harry... see... it's a legit "science" rolleyes1.gif

Very nice shots Bob!
    Also, glad you got your 100-400 squared-away!

Pleased you like them Earache. I have seen the September issue of the Wildlife mag. We are so lucky here in South West Scotland we don't have any greys in the area but there is always a first time. We are always on the look out for them.
    Bob
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2013
    PGM wrote: »
    This is a darn good looking squirrel (sorry, Harry). The colors are beautiful, and I like that you can see what the squirrel is eating. The squirrels around here aren't nearly this pretty! Nice series. Best, Pam
    Thanks ever so much Pam for looking and commenting. Veru much appreciated.
    Bob
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2013
    Snippet from here ...
    http://www.wild-wonders.com/the_photographers_featured.asp?show=02

<<Favourite species and places in Europe?
    I have four: ... // ...

While some photographers have made their name photographing sharks and tigers and elephants, I've made mine, such as it is, photographing small furry mammals with large incisors. Over the years red squirrels have kept the wolf from my door and they remain for this, and more sentimental reasons, my favourite species to photograph. I owe a debt of gratitude to European beavers too >>

pp

Thanks Paul very interesting indeed.
    Bob
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2013
    Bob - I'd suggest Niall's own site is worth a shufties too (if not already seen) ... apart from a few more red squirrels, his 'field studio shots' - with white bg are worth a look, too.
    (he's also a regular contributor to Pete Cairns' Northshots blog that i previously mentioned.)

pp

http://niallbenvie.photoshelter.com/
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    Bob - I'd suggest Niall's own site is worth a shufties too (if not already seen) ... apart from a few more red squirrels, his 'field studio shots' - with white bg are worth a look, too.
    (he's also a regular contributor to Pete Cairns' Northshots blog that i previously mentioned.)

pp

http://niallbenvie.photoshelter.com/
    You really are a gem Paul as I appreciate everything so much.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    kobistarkobistar Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2013
    i wish I had these lovely creatures here :(

nice photo
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2013
    kobistar wrote: »
    i wish I had these lovely creatures here :(

nice photo

I must admit they can become quite addictive.
    Bob
  • Options
    Stage Two ImagingStage Two Imaging Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 9, 2013
    Great images here Bob, you have captured the squirrels in perfect Autumnal light with the orange and brown hues of the leaves creating a great contextual surrounding. Number 1 and number 5 are my personal favourites!

Dan
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2013
    Great images here Bob, you have captured the squirrels in perfect Autumnal light with the orange and brown hues of the leaves creating a great contextual surrounding. Number 1 and number 5 are my personal favourites!

Dan

Hi Dan I am pleased you like them. I will take you sometime as I'm sure you would enjoy it.
    Cheers
    Bob