Options

Pretty Senior Shoot Deux

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited October 3, 2013 in People
I can't win. After getting rained on during the first session, what started out as a bright day with great possibilities for what I wanted, went south about a half hour in. Of all things, fog rolled in. Had to call it quits much earlier than I wanted.

1. Here you can see the fog. Thought it works for this though.

Chelsea-232web-L.jpg

2. New giant octo-softbox modified to use with speedlights in use here.

Chelsea-211web-L.jpg

3. Found this chair at a garage sale. First time putting it to use. Might be old hat and trite to some, but it's new to me.

Chelsea-207web-L.jpg

4. This is what, at least in my mind, I thought the chair would come in handy for. Opinions on the "Ballet" poses incorporating the chair would be appreciated.

Chelsea-225web-L.jpg

Chelsea-214web-L.jpg

So, what do you think? Does the chair work or does it look to staged?

Comments

• Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2013
    Beautiful lighting, especially #1...what did you use??
    Since you asked, I'm not too keen on the chair. #1 and #2 are better with natural props.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2013
    Personally I like 4 the best.
    #1 the negative space to the top left bothers me and want to see the rest of her right hand.
    #2 won't say what I think she is doing........hair shadow on her eye is a bother. I fight that one all the time.
    #3 is my least favorite although I do love the leaves. The right hand pose seems a bit awkard.
    #4 I really do like alot. Maybe sitting up a bit taller to rid some of the wrinkles.
    #5 isn't bad...the shadow/lighting on the back of her left arm is distracting and her exposure is a little hot for my taste.
    Most of the color and exposures are super.
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2013
    I really love #1 and #4. All are beautiful, but those really stand out for me. The lighting and DOF on 1 is just wonderful...and the fog only adds to the effect.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2013
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Beautiful lighting, especially #1...what did you use??
    Since you asked, I'm not too keen on the chair. #1 and #2 are better with natural props.

Thanks for your input on the chair. This was a new garage sale find and this was the first time working it into a shoot. I think I'll use it sparingly.

I modified a big Octobox for use with speedlights. I'm using three at the same time with this.
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Personally I like 4 the best.
    #1 the negative space to the top left bothers me and want to see the rest of her right hand.
    #2 won't say what I think she is doing........hair shadow on her eye is a bother. I fight that one all the time.
    #3 is my least favorite although I do love the leaves. The right hand pose seems a bit awkard.
    #4 I really do like alot. Maybe sitting up a bit taller to rid some of the wrinkles.
    #5 isn't bad...the shadow/lighting on the back of her left arm is distracting and her exposure is a little hot for my taste.
    Most of the color and exposures are super.

Thanks for the detailed critique. I see and understand all of your points.

I've got to say, after having just wonderful experiences with seniors the past few years, this one was the first that I would classify as a PITA. Mom was really into it, but she acted like she wanted to be somewhere else the entire time.
    I really love #1 and #4. All are beautiful, but those really stand out for me. The lighting and DOF on 1 is just wonderful...and the fog only adds to the effect.

Thanks, I thought it (the fog/haze) worked for this particular set of shots. I'll see if I can find one where Charles (Hackbone) can see her other hand!:D
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2013
    The fog is PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely an asset, not a hindrance.

Re the chair: sand it, or wipe some light paint/glaze/finish remover or something on the wood so it gets a distressed look - it'll be awesome! I do think it's a bit incongruous in the woods, but take this idea one step further and you can do a really neat "fairy tale" kind of look that will be in the same vibe as your vintage kids' shots. Just needs some expanding. Neato!
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2013
    I like the set. Along with distress the chair, I think it would have worked best if you use off camera light, underexpose the background to create a spotlight on her. This would create a fairy tale and dramatic look. Or if you felt adventurous put in the stream.
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2013
    I meant to comment on the chair...I agree with Divamum, I think it has some really potential, and it allowed for some interesting variation on poses. (I tried a chair, too, with a recent shot...and those images were among the subject's favorites. Go figure!)

BTW, contrary to Hackbone (with whom I hesitate to disagree since he has such a great eye), it is the negative space that makes #1 for me...she is a beautiful girl in that bright punch of a blue dress and the foggy backdrop, for me, allows the image to breathe. As for the missing hand...didn't bother me, but if you can find a shot with it, all the better I suppose!
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2013
    PS Love the octa!
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2013
    I meant to comment on the chair...I agree with Divamum, I think it has some really potential, and it allowed for some interesting variation on poses. (I tried a chair, too, with a recent shot...and those images were among the subject's favorites. Go figure!)

BTW, contrary to Hackbone (with whom I hesitate to disagree since he has such a great eye), it is the negative space that makes #1 for me...she is a beautiful girl in that bright punch of a blue dress and the foggy backdrop, for me, allows the image to breathe. As for the missing hand...didn't bother me, but if you can find a shot with it, all the better I suppose!

Thanks...

I think I will file the chair in the "work in progress" folder. I see the potential and the input here from you folks is invaluable to me!
    divamum wrote: »
    PS Love the octa!

Me too! Gonna come in handy on the really bright days.
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I like the set. Along with distress the chair, I think it would have worked best if you use off camera light, underexpose the background to create a spotlight on her. This would create a fairy tale and dramatic look. Or if you felt adventurous put in the stream.

Nice ideas, thanks John.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd. Just for Charles....

Chelsea-233web-L.jpg

Chelsea-216web-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2013
    DUDE. 7 is sooooo the money shot. The chair looks perfect there, because of the color tones in skirt + leaves + upholstery.

I'd probably take the processing further for an even dreamier look, but you are TOTALLLY on the right track. If she doesn't love that pictures, she must REALLY have been in a p***y mood about the whole thing!! lol
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    DUDE.

Are you related to my fifteen-year-old? She pulled the "dude" thing on me the other day...

Told her if she wanted to be certain NOT to get her drivers licence until she was 32, she should just go ahead and call me "dude" again!

:D

On a serious note...

Thanks....

I really appreciate your input and the thought that you put into it!
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2013
    rolleyes1.gif

I only ever use it tongue in cheek :D Not only am I old enough to remember it first time around, but I went to high school in southern California and heard it "from the surfer's mouth" as it were!!! :lol
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2013
    That first group is nice...that is how you do it. Like how all the elements came together for that first group.
    Don't like the second group.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2013
    zoomer wrote: »
    That first group is nice...that is how you do it. Like how all the elements came together for that first group.
    Don't like the second group.

Thanks...

Could I ask what it is about the second two images you don't care for?
  • Options
    Eustace2Eustace2 Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    I think #1 is gorgeous and the missing hand didn't bother me (until Hackbone called it out). It is a classic shot and the fog really adds to the look. I still prefer it to the other one you posted from the bridge with the hand showing. I have been thinking of picking up a chair or stool for portraits too. I like your use of the chair, especially in #3. I agree with Divamum that you might rough it up a bit so that it doesn't look like you grabbed it from your dining room as you were walking out the door. Overall, I think it is a nice set.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    Thanks...

Could I ask what it is about the second two images you don't care for?

Look how confident and relaxed she is in 4 for example...the last group does not have the same feel.

Also the light on the subject is to much on the last group. Almost feels like they were shot on a different day or maybe earlier in the shoot than the first bunch.
  • Options
    kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    nice work
    like the foggy background