First Portrait Attempt

NicoleNicole Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited December 14, 2005 in People
My friends daughter is taking a modeling class and needs I head shot. I told her I would try to take it and save them some money. I need the practice and if they aren't good enough they haven't lost any money. Let me know what you think and thanks for looking. Nicole48167608-L.jpg

48168565-L.jpg

48168566-L.jpg

48237784-L.jpg

Comments

• dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    The model is very pretty.

I like the first three and don't really have anything to say about them.

The last one though. Thats one where even though I don't normally make a model smile I woulda had her smile for that shot. I also would have had her propping her head up with her left hand so you could see her arm and hand etc. She just doesn't look comfortable in that shot and it looks like too much or her left site is missing.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    Nicely done Nicole. :D

For me the second photo is my favourite as I find it very complimentary of the model. Nice colours, nice composition and good sharpness.

Well done!

Lee
    Nicole wrote:
    Let me know what you think and thanks for looking. Nicole

48168565-L.jpg
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    The shots are great, I would punch them up a bit in post processing.

She's beautiful, but I do not like the way she's holding her mouth in #3 and #4. 3 especially. Unflattering. Also, #4 is my least favorite. It is somehow awkward. She looks ill at ease.

Overall, I think they're a great start. She and you should keep at it, you'll both learn a lot and she'll obviously get some fine photos out of it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • NicoleNicole Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    Thanks for the comments dragon, now that I look at number 4, it does look like her head is floating. I think she had her had behind her head, but it got lost in the pillow??? We were pretty limited as I have no lights, background, and my flash is broken. I was hoping to take all of them outside, but it was 1:00pm before it got warm enough. Nicole
    edited December 14, 2005
    Thanks David, I am working on my post processing. I have only had cs2 for a few weeks, and still need much practice. I was finding it difficult to achieve natural skin tones. I think it will take at least a year to figure it all out. Nicole
    edited December 14, 2005
    Thanks Lee, that is my favorite as well. The scary part, at least for her father is that she is only 14. Nicole
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    Nicole wrote:
    Thanks Lee, that is my favorite as well. The scary part, at least for her father is that she is only 14. Nicole

14????? :jawdrop
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    Yup. Daddy's in trouble! He's going to have to get his guard up! :toni

I like the first two the best. As someone stated earlier the colors are very complementary of the model. I would have kept her whole head on number one and less of the bottom.

Erich
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    First off; Beautiful girl!! And you say she's only 14...? headscratch.gif:)
    Secondly: No 1 is my favorite and then number 2.

When you shoot pictures of her again, focus on her eyes. They are gorgeous. Use a little (or different) makeup to bring them out even more.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com