Options

Northern California farm field

OsoOso Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
edited October 22, 2013 in Landscapes
DSC_0009-3-L.jpg

Took this one in summer 2012 along Highway 139 in far Northern California. Didn't think much of it at the time: I thought it was kind of boring compared to another photo taken at same location of old railroad tracks.

But this image caught my eye the other night because of the composition. Perhaps intentional -- or perhaps lucky -- the frame seems very well balanced with strong element left of center anchoring the photo (the telephone pole), the brown hills and grain elevator providing balance at lower left and right, respectively, and then the farm field versus the sky following something that looks like the rule of eighths.

By comparison, I now find the railroad tracks boring and this kinda interesting. C&C welcome as always and thanks for looking. FWIW, I processed using one of those VSCO slide film presets in Lightroom. It still doesn't really look like film, but it doesn't look quite as 1s and 0s as it did originally.

Steve
Pics: http://stevehymon.smugmug.com
Blog: http://stevehymonphotos.blogspot.com

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    Hi Steve, exposure and clouds rock! I think if we could see the bottom of the pole in the ground, then it might be better as right now I get sensation as if the subject were clouds and pole got in the way accidentally. JMO.
  • Options
    kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    good finding
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 4, 2013
    Both really cool shots. I need to try that preset!
  • Options
    OsoOso Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    Hey Stumblebum -- good point! I went back and looked at my originals and for whatever reason didn't shoot one with the ground. Who knows what I was thinking? I probably got transfixed on the wires hanging loose and zeroed in on that and didn't (but should have!) consider some other framing options.

I love trying to figure out what I was thinking. Must be like space travel -- lots and lots of nothing :)

Steve