Options

Question about selling 5D2

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited October 4, 2013 in Cameras
I just had a 5D2 serviced by CPS. I sent it in only due to the fact the vertical grip was not working with the camera, when I received the quote back it was for $500 for a shutter and CMOS replacement. They stated the shutter was past it's lifespan (150k, it was at 177k) and there was also a scratch (which I never saw??) on the Glass in front of the CMOS and the Glass was sealed to the CMOS so they whole sensor board needed replacement. So, with a new shutter with 0 clicks (unless there are some from them testing) and a completely new CMOS is it unreasonable to sell the camera + vertical grip (plus batteries and charger) or $1700 considering KEH and other used vendors are selling the body alone for $1700? With the fact that the shutter is brand new, along with the sensor and has a 6mo warranty.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited October 3, 2013
    Unfortunately, the mirror box is the other section they should have replaced, since it too has been subjected to the 177k actuations. (The shutter box and mirror box have approximately the same design durability in any SLR camera design.)

While you don't need to promote the lack of mirror box replacement, you should be straightforward with information if asked (all of this very much IMO.)

I suggest that your camera should be rated at about a BGN condition (KEH standards, "Bargain" 70-79% of original condition.) and probably have around a $1500 KEH price tag. Private sales are generally about 80 percent of KEH, but I agree that if the warranty is transferable then that has value (even though it likely only covers the sensor and shutter box). A genuine Canon grip may add value, so a combined valuation of around $1500-$1600 is probably fairer for a private sale but you could start at a higher value to see if it sells there first.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    Ziggy, Seems that was replaced as well reading the documentation sent back. Was under CPS so the actual cost if it wasn't CPS was well over $1400.

Thing is, when you buy from KEH, etc. You can buy a camera in EX condition, but they never tell you the # of shutter actuations. So you could buy one in EX condition and find out it has 120k of actuations, I don't see anything in their description of the quality that mentions they check the shutter count, etc.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited October 4, 2013
    How would "you" wish to be treated, if were you the prospective buyer?

Any purchaser of the camera will probably contact Canon to gain the repair history of the camera. If you did not disclose the full condition of the camera prior to the sale, what do you suppose that they will wish to do?

If the sensor, shutter box and mirror box were all replaced, as you now say, then you are correct in that much of the "guts" of the camera have been replaced. If the warranty transfers to another owner, that has value too. The camera is still far from new, however.

It's always better to do the right thing, and the right thing in this case is full disclosure to any potential buyer who asks questions prior to sale. State and local laws regulate the legal implications and ramifications, but morally and ethically you should be honest and straightforward with accurate information.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums