deleting pictures

yooperdooperyooperdooper Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited October 19, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
I want to delete certain pictures from photoshop,my pictures and other areas of my computer,most importantly from my hard drive.how would I do this?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    Use bridge, or windows picture viewer, select photos, hit delete key. Empty trash basket.
  • yooperdooperyooperdooper Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    hello
    unfortunately,i already made an attempt to delete the pictures.they cannot be seen in photoshop or window explorer but they are still on my harddrive.also the pics I "deleted" never made it to the recycle bin.
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    I find that the best way to think of your pics is as files. They're all files, they're all on your hard drive. To open or view them, you need a viewer like Bridge, but to copy, rename, move, or delete them, you can use Windows Explorer. Never think of your photos as being "in Photoshop" or "in Bridge"; think of them always as being on your hard drive - Photoshop and Bridge are programs you use to work on the pics, but they are not places where pics live. All pictures are files, and all files on your computer are stored somewhere on your hard drive. But your hard drive has many folders and sub-folders and sub-sub-folders, which makes it easy to lose your pics, or to have duplicate copies in many places, if you don't have a neat and consistent system to keep your files organized.

My Pictures is on your hard drive. It's a folder. You can see it in Windows Explorer; open up Explorer and use the tree on the left to navitgate to the C: drive. Look for a folder called "Users". Under this folder, there will be another folder with your name on it - this contains your user profile, and all of your files. Inside this folder is where My Pictures, My Documents, My Videos, and Favorites are all stored by Windows.

You may have created your own folders on the C: drive and put your pics or other files in there. This can then become confusing, because Windows is set up by default to point you to the My Documents and My Pictures folders under your user profile, so you will often wind up with stuff in both places.

However, remember - Photoshop is not a place, it's a program. When you open Photoshop, it may show you some images by default, but those images are not "in Photoshop", they're saved somewhere on your hard drive.

You say you have pics on your hard drive, but you cannot see them in Windows Explorer or Photoshop. By "see", do you mean that you cannot see the files, they are gone when you look in Explorer? Or do you mean that you can see the files there, but you cannot see a preview of the files to tell what the images are?

And another possibility I have thought of - when you say "on my hard drive", are you referring to the C: drive, which is the hard drive built into your computer, or are you referring to an external hard drive, which is a box on your desk that connects to the computer through the USB port? They're both hard drives, but one is built in and one is external. And it is possible to have duplicates of your files on both; in fact, most people buy external hard drives specifically for the purpose of making copies of their important files, so the files are backed up in case their computer fails.

Edited to add: It sounds like you're having some issues with basic file management, and maybe aren't completely clear on the terminology and what it all means. I suggest that you browse this excellent series of tutorials on Windows basics. They say they're "for seniors" but really, they work for anyone who needs to bone up on basic file management tasks like move, rename, copy, and delete.
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/computers-software/Software-For-Seniors/Basic-File-Management.html
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
    edited October 7, 2013
    thanks
    i will look this over
    edited October 7, 2013
    hi andy
    by the way andy thanks for all your previous help!
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013
    unfortunately,i already made an attempt to delete the pictures.they cannot be seen in photoshop or window explorer but they are still on my harddrive.also the pics I "deleted" never made it to the recycle bin.

how you know that they exist on the drive if you cannot see them ?

best practice it to select them in explorer ( or the entire folder if you wish ) and delete them
    use ctrl+mouse click to (de)-select individual pics

note ; shift+delete bypasses recycle bin and removes them permanently
    edited October 8, 2013
    pictures still on computer!
    I know the pics are still on my computer because when I insert a cd with identical pictures on it I get a message that says "no new pictures found on the cd"
    edited October 8, 2013
    seeing pics /files
    I cannot see the pics or files at all in windows explorer.....the reason I am going thru all this is that the file size of the pics are real small ie<1mb and I want to delete them and replace them with the origonals which are much larger.these are stored on cd's
    edited October 8, 2013
    my ext hard drive is out of commission.im pretty sure the pics are on th c drive
    edited October 9, 2013
    user option
    hello I took your advise and went from windows explorer to"c" to a folder called user.when I opened user I got an error message that said "Microsoft jscript routine error"
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2013
    Right click C , properties,tools , check for errors
    edited October 12, 2013
    c
    I finaly got thru to my pictures from we,c,users,john,mypictures.none of the pictures I deleted were there. ............as far as right click c,properties,tools,check for errors went: windows cannot open the disk while it is in use:schedule disc was the message
    edited October 19, 2013
    I got thru the problem thanks!