Options

Making photos fit to slideshow aspect ratio

Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
edited October 18, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Is there any way to force photos to fill the aspect ratio you set for a slideshow? I.e if you have a 3:2 landscape format aspect ratio for the slideshow but a portrait photo appears, it will be forced to fill the width and crop the top and bottom? Or is the only way round this to select photos at the correct aspect ratio?

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• Options
    edited October 9, 2013
  • Options
    rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2013
    Chris H wrote: »
    anyone have any ideas on this?

I don't have this problem with the standard SM slideshow but I was having it on the custom full screen slideshow which is described in another thread. In that situation changing the CSS for background-size: cover to background-size: contain solved the problem. It also meant no full screen slide show unless the aspect ratio of the images matched the screen aspect ratio so I abandoned that and stuck with the standard SM slide show.

I'm not sure if this is your situation but it may be one avenue to check out.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2013
    Thanks for your reply, it's not really what I'm looking for though. I have a slideshow but don't want to be mucking around changing orientation / sizes of photos for it to display. I really just want it to zoom whatever image comes up to fill the slideshow panel. Anyone any ideas how to do this?
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2013
    I don't think it's going to happen. IF your slideshow has a specific ratio and a photo has a different ratio then it will not fit the slideshow space exactly. You will have blank spaces either on left and right or above and below. To make sure they ALL fit (and fill) the slideshow exactly, you would need to use images with that same ratio.
    I have three mini-slideshows on my home page and I cropped all of the photos used in them to be exactly the same ratio.

I could very well be wrong though - hopefully I am for your sake!!!
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2013
    hmm, I suspect you're right and thanks for your reply. It's a shame as I want to be able to regularly update my slideshows with new shots (I also have 3 mini shows!), but if I have to go to the effort of cropping and resizing images specifically for it I know it won't happen. The image selector for the slideshows makes things easy, just wish there was a setting to fill the frame no matter the size or orientation of image.