AdSense Content Block

mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
edited April 23, 2014 in SmugMug Product News
We just added an AdSense content block to the customizer.

You can read about how to use it here

Please post all feedback, bugs, or anything out of the norm to THIS thread. I have the head developer of the project following this. All other reports won't be seen as quickly.

Thanks!

my-ads-X2.jpg

Comments

• AdamNPAdamNP Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2013
    OK, I know Michael is waiting with baited breath for this response, lol, so I took some time in my hotel room to quickly set a couple of these units up.

As far as I can tell, things are working. The ads I configured are showing up in their proper places. One question - somewhere in the documentation it says you are "limited to one half page ad per page", or something like that. What does that mean exactly? I feared at first it meant you could only put one of these units per page, but that's clearly not the case, since I had up to 3 working (Google's limit). So, if there's meant to be a limit, it's broken, and please leave it broken, lol. It's standard practice to use multiple ads per page.

I won't know for sure if it's REALLY working until I start getting clicks and revenue showing up from them. All appears to be well though.

My only real "wish" is that there were many more options for placement areas. This has nothing to do with the Adsense block though, you can place it in all the same places you can the other content blocks. For this though, it would be especially handy to be able to put it right under the image. It would also be nice to be able to overlay one at perhaps the bottom of the lightbox.

Before I get a bunch of pros saying "OMG who wants ads on or around their photos", you need to understand how I use this site. My main parks website is a pretty high traffic resource for people looking for info on the national parks. They are sent to my SM site when they want to view larger versions of the photos hosted on my own site. So, while print sales occasionally happen, 99% of my traffic is of the "looking around" variety. That's why CPC ads are so critical for me, and why I was so adamant about this being added. I was losing very significant money without this.

So anyway, thanks for getting this done, and sorry if I was a bit harsh at times. I've just been here long enough to know how long things can take sometimes, and I don't like having my income taken away :) I'm actually contemplating another SM site simply to show my highest quality stuff, which would obviously not have ads on it. For my current site though, it's a central part of what I need. Thanks again.
    edited October 5, 2013
    AdamNP wrote: »
    OK, I know Michael is waiting with baited breath for this response, lol, so I took some time in my hotel room to quickly set a couple of these units up.

As far as I can tell, things are working. The ads I configured are showing up in their proper places. One question - somewhere in the documentation it says you are "limited to one half page ad per page", or something like that. What does that mean exactly? I feared at first it meant you could only put one of these units per page, but that's clearly not the case, since I had up to 3 working (Google's limit). So, if there's meant to be a limit, it's broken, and please leave it broken, lol. It's standard practice to use multiple ads per page.

I won't know for sure if it's REALLY working until I start getting clicks and revenue showing up from them. All appears to be well though.

My only real "wish" is that there were many more options for placement areas. This has nothing to do with the Adsense block though, you can place it in all the same places you can the other content blocks. For this though, it would be especially handy to be able to put it right under the image. It would also be nice to be able to overlay one at perhaps the bottom of the lightbox.

Before I get a bunch of pros saying "OMG who wants ads on or around their photos", you need to understand how I use this site. My main parks website is a pretty high traffic resource for people looking for info on the national parks. They are sent to my SM site when they want to view larger versions of the photos hosted on my own site. So, while print sales occasionally happen, 99% of my traffic is of the "looking around" variety. That's why CPC ads are so critical for me, and why I was so adamant about this being added. I was losing very significant money without this.

So anyway, thanks for getting this done, and sorry if I was a bit harsh at times. I've just been here long enough to know how long things can take sometimes, and I don't like having my income taken away :) I'm actually contemplating another SM site simply to show my highest quality stuff, which would obviously not have ads on it. For my current site though, it's a central part of what I need. Thanks again.

Update. It's only been live on my site for like 20 minutes, the placements were rushed and not ideal, and I already have two clicks and income reported. So it appears to work :)
  • snakeey11snakeey11 Registered Users Posts: 88 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 5, 2013
    AdamNP wrote: »
    ...somewhere in the documentation it says you are "limited to one half page ad per page", or something like that.

This is referring only to the 300x600 (a.k.a "half page") ad size, which per AdSense policy, is only allowed once per page: https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/1346295?hl=en#Google_ad_limit_per_page

That is in addition to the standard limit of 3 per page.

-Mike
    SmugMug Sorcerer
    (and an avid landscape photographer - view my website)
    edited October 5, 2013
    snakeey11 wrote: »
    This is referring only to the 300x600 (a.k.a "half page") ad size, which per AdSense policy, is only allowed once per page: https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/1346295?hl=en#Google_ad_limit_per_page

That is in addition to the standard limit of 3 per page.

-Mike

Ah OK. I've been using Adsense since 2006, and I've never even noticed that one. That's a bit absurdly huge :)
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2013
    WOOOHOO! Glad to hear Adam! I can finally get some sleep tonight thumb.gif

Thanks for being patient, and not TOO vicious with me.
  • eddiefeddief Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2013
    Thank You!
    Nice job! Thank you guys! Back to FULL BUSINESS, BABY! :)
  • gcortezgcortez Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 12, 2013
    I'm a happy camper now. Works pretty fine. I have text link ads for main page, and leaderboard ad per gallery. But it would be nice if we could insert even just Text Links ads just below the light box.
  • cmancman Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2013
    Please change a robots.txt file in accordance with - http://adsense.blogspot.ru/2011/11/adsense-crawler-errors-check-your.html

Now is:
    User-agent: Mediapartners-Google Disallow: /date/ Disallow: /popular/ Disallow: /admin/ Disallow: /api/ Disallow: /cart/ Disallow: /hack/ Disallow: /gallery/ Disallow: /search/ Disallow: /services/ Disallow: /test/ Disallow: /VIP/ Disallow: /vip/ Disallow: /go/
    want to change:
    User-agent: Mediapartners-Google
    Disallow:
  • skibumtxskibumtx Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2014
    I have a basic question, when I try to sign up for Adsense, they will not allow me to use the http://werunhuntsville.smugmug.com/ address. How do I get around this? Error is: URL must not have a path (example.com/path) or subdomain (subdomain.example.com).
  • videooppvideoopp Registered Users Posts: 103 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2014
    Amazon Affiliate Ads
    I am able to add some affiliate advertizing using an html content block, but it does not seem to work for Amazon html links. Is it the i-frame? Any thoughts? I would like to do some banner advertizing, but Google Ads are so hard to control. There is so much advertizing content that they display that goes against my personal philosophy and do not want to be associated with. Are there plans to offer more ways to add advertising to our sites?

Thanks
    Frank Spangler
    Business: www.panopro.com
    Stock Images: www.worldviewimages.com (Smugmug Site)
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/videoopp
    Blog: www.untotheleast.com
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited April 23, 2014
    videoopp wrote: »
    I am able to add some affiliate advertizing using an html content block, but it does not seem to work for Amazon html links. Is it the i-frame?
    As far as I know iframes are not supported in new smugmug.

--- Denise