Options

The Stories They Could Tell

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited October 14, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Here's some more old buildings that caught my eye. The barn with the red roof is the site of one my close encounters with dogs. As I was fleeing, my running was so erratic that I think the dogs got confused and had no idea where I was heading.

Summer%202013%20142-X3.jpg

Summer%202013%20171-X3.jpg

This last one, as opposed to all my other subjects in my barn series, is not abandoned. In fact, it's a part of a bed and breakfast operation. I've often been tempted to stay there just to enjoy the idyllic setting. The accompanying main farm house serves up some of the best country cooking you ever tangled with.

Summer%202013%20109-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2013
    Nice shots Tom, I wouldn't mind spending some time in the last cabin. I get a sense that all three shots are tilted to the left though.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2013
    Juano wrote: »
    Nice shots Tom, I wouldn't mind spending some time in the last cabin. I get a sense that all three shots are tilted to the left though.

Hey Cristóbal,

I appreciate the visit. I tell you, when you're shooting these old buildings on sloping land and the buildings themselves are leaning in seemingly all directions at once, you just hope that you got it right. I rely on a bubble level.... pretty much all the time when I'm shooting these type scenes.... to help out in that regard. That doesn't mean, of course, that I don't screw up some.

That last cabin is a part of the Mast Farm Inn facilities located near Boone, NC. I've never stayed there but I have really enjoyed, on many occasions, the food that they prepare and serve at the main farm house.

Take care, my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2013
    Hi Tom,

I am impressed that these are shot with a level. It must be that part of the world tilting to the left!

I'm going to look that place up, it seems like a beautiful area.

Take care.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2013
    Hey Tom,
    Nice shots - despite the doggy-dangers!
    The red-roof barn looks mysterious and I would probably (foolishly), have to go-in through that opening...

Cool, green, refreshing..... ahhhh - thanks for that!
    We are as brown as a paper bag and under a Red Flag Watch for fire out here... wish us luck!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Hey Tom,
    Nice shots - despite the doggy-dangers!
    The red-roof barn looks mysterious and I would probably (foolishly), have to go-in through that opening...

Cool, green, refreshing..... ahhhh - thanks for that!
    We are as brown as a paper bag and under a Red Flag Watch for fire out here... wish us luck!

I've got to say, Eric, that you guys in California face more than your share of serious issues.... natural disasters and otherwise. My oldest brother moved out to Santa Monica in the mid 70's. He narrowed his home purchase to two candidates....one in the hills above Malibu and the other in Santa Monica. He opted for the Santa Monica home because of its uniqueness in design and the seller....a Hollywood writer.... cut him a great deal.

Two weeks after moving in, the house he had focused on in Malibu went sliding down the hill in a mud slide. During the 10 years he lived out there, he, on three different occasions, had to have extensive repairs done to the plaster walls of his house due to earthquake activity. After his two daughters reached adulthood, he cried " uncle " .... left the two girls to their own careers and he fled back to Florida. He said he could deal with hurricanes; at least you knew they were coming.

I do wish you good luck, my friend.

Tom
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 6, 2013
    Lovely shots, Tom. A bit more oversharpened than I'm used to seeing on your work I believe. It adds kind of a graphic quality to the shots. #3 is my favorite. The way the light is skimming the front of that cabin is just brilliant. thumb.gif
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Very nice, Tom! I was up that way on Saturday, through Boone, Banner Elk and a section of the BRP. I kept wondering if I was going to bump into you.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    kdog wrote: »
    Lovely shots, Tom. A bit more oversharpened than I'm used to seeing on your work I believe. It adds kind of a graphic quality to the shots. #3 is my favorite. The way the light is skimming the front of that cabin is just brilliant. thumb.gif

I really appreciate your comments, Joel. You have a keen eye, for sure. As you know, I usually eschew any PP adjustments at all....save for some minor curve work and contrast manipulation now and then. I did sharpen the last two shots here....nothing aggressive, but the application of such seemed to be beneficial to my eye.

Keep up your good work....and focus on selling those jewels you come up with.

Tom
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    moose135 wrote: »
    Very nice, Tom! I was up that way on Saturday, through Boone, Banner Elk and a section of the BRP. I kept wondering if I was going to bump into you.

It's great to hear from you, John. Our time of sharing some experiences in the high country is coming. I'm setting up about a 6 week stay up there for the coming Summer and I hope you'll be able to scoot up some time during that period. I'll keep you informed about all that.

BTW....If you haven't done it, the next time you're up there, take HWY. #194 out of Banner Elk heading east over to Valle Crucis. The ride is spectacular and Valle Crucis is a real neat area.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013
    I had a late start Saturday, so I didn't get over to Valle Crucis, but do remember seeing the road signs. I'll have to check it out in the next couple of weeks as the leaves turn. I absolutely want to get together when you are in the area! I'm looking forward to it!
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2013
    Maybe we will stop by next summer too. wave.gif As always, your barn shots are such fun to look at and also thought-provoking: who used this barn and what for, why do we let things fall like this, what kind of interesting trucks might look good next to the barn ........... barns and trucks, such a combination. mwink.gif

Good stuff, Tom. The leaning is just part of the process for these old buildings. You've really shown the texture well too.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2013
    redleash wrote: »
    Maybe we will stop by next summer too. wave.gif As always, your barn shots are such fun to look at and also thought-provoking: who used this barn and what for, why do we let things fall like this, what kind of interesting trucks might look good next to the barn ........... barns and trucks, such a combination. mwink.gif

Good stuff, Tom. The leaning is just part of the process for these old buildings. You've really shown the texture well too.

Lauren

Well, Lauren, you know that you and Paul are always welcome. As we've discussed on a number of occasions, our getting together in the Appalachians would be a real treat for both of us. As soon as I can nail down the dates, I'll let you know. Man, I'm already getting excited.

As you've seen in these latest barn series shots, the coloration in the greens ( trees, grasses, etc. ) was nothing short of startling in many cases. The bodacious amount of rain they had in that region this past summer was responsible for that. Folks up there were really anxious to see what effect that much Summer rain would have on the Fall colors. Early indicators are that the Fall color show will be somewhat muted....many leaves are just turning brown and falling off. It's too early to make a final judgment..... they haven't had enough really cold weather yet.... but I'm afraid that the surge of " leaf lookers " might be disappointed.

I finally found an old truck to buy. I'll send you a PM about it.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2013
    Can't wait to hear about the truck!! Paul grew up on the banks of the Tennessee River but never spent much time in the mountain areas--he would love it.

Leaves in Maine are pretty but they are not as brilliant as other years. Like you said, not enough cold temps yet. Leaves or not, you know I never pass up a chance to come here!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com