Options

Sharring A portrait

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited August 25, 2004 in People
I took this shot while shooting portraits. I really liked it and wanted to share it.

Comments welcome.

7565079-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    I think I'm in love.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    I think I'm in love.
    rolleyes1.gif

Greaps, nice shot. I like the B&W and the pose. Also I like the exposure, the nice shades of grey. Personally, I find the blue eyes distracting. I think I'd perfer it all B&W, it's a fine looking shot.

How are getting into portrait work? With friends? And are you using natural light only, or are you working on a light set-up?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

Greaps, nice shot. I like the B&W and the pose. Also I like the exposure, the nice shades of grey. Personally, I find the blue eyes distracting. I think I'd perfer it all B&W, it's a fine looking shot.

How are getting into portrait work? With friends? And are you using natural light only, or are you working on a light set-up?
    Thx for the comments.

I made the eyes blue at her request, she wanted it like that. I made a duplicate layer, made it black and white and then erased the top layer over the eyes so that is the color of her eyes from the original image.

I did some work for the company I work for, shooting some of the projects they had built for their website. When the lady that does the web site saw them on my smugmug site she also saw my son's senior pictures. She called me to ask if I could do her daughters. I did, they liked them a lot and recommended me to some friends. It started to snowball and now I have several clients lined up.

My photo club was invited to go to a local studio to photograph some dancers as a feild trip. I was introduced to the owners of the studio which is shared by 6 photographers. One of them left the area and they needed a replacment. They invited me to join them, and I did. It is a great set up. We have all the cool stuff, multiple lights, hair lights, reflectors etc, We have three different shooting areas set up all the time and over 50 different back drops. There is a wonderful garden out side that we can use when weather and lighting permit.

My share of the rent is more than affordable and I can use all of the equipment they have. There is money left over from the rent every month and the group uses it to buy additional equipment, software, etc.

One client a month more than pays the rent and I am having a blast with it. I learn a few new things every time I shoot there.

Networking and word of mouth....

It works. I am hoping to build it up to something that will speed my retirement from my current job which I am beginning to loath.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2004
    What a great set-up for you, greaps. Congratulations, I'm both happy for you and extremely jealous! Not of the clients, although it's nice to make the hobby pay for the equipment... it's the studio set-up that sounds so sweet.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au