Options

Canon 40D

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited November 6, 2013 in Cameras
Hi Ziggy another one for you!
I recently parted with one of my first cameras a 40D. The guy I sold it to only uses Auto and 'S' mode. He contacted me today to say that when in Auto he takes a pic he only gets a black screen on his LCD. I told him to try AV and it was the same. Any ideas as to what he has done or has happened. I am having to travel and see him tomorrow.
Best
Bob

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,834 moderator
    edited October 6, 2013
    Is this a recent development (meaning that the camera worked for a while) or is this something that he has not tested until now, and discovered now that he cannot get the camera to work properly?

What is the experience level of the photographer and what is their experience with Canon dSLR cameras in particular?

Is this person able to join our forum and answer questions first-hand? (It's always best to work with someone who has the camera to test in their own hands.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Is this a recent development (meaning that the camera worked for a while) or is this something that he has not tested until now, and discovered now that he cannot get the camera to work properly?

What is the experience level of the photographer and what is their experience with Canon dSLR cameras in particular?

Is this person able to join our forum and answer questions first-hand? (It's always best to work with someone who has the camera to test in their own hands.)

I have tried my best to explain the workings of the camera to the best of my ability but it is a waste of time. He was in my company last Friday and the camera was functioning fine for him on 'S' mode when he was photographing squirrels. He told me today when he tried to shoot birds on the feeders this is what he found. I was wondering what I could check on the camera Ziggy when I meet up with him tomorrow.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2013
    I believe that the Canon 40D can be used without a card present in the card bay. Make sure that a CF card is in the card bay.

If there is a CF card in the camera, try a factory reset:

1. Open the "Tools" tab.

2. Navigate to the "Clear All Camera Settings" option. Press the "Set" button to select it. A confirmation prompt will appear on the screen.

3. Turn the navigation dial to highlight "OK," then press the "Set" button to make the selection.

Barring that, just remove the main battery "and" the CMOS backup battery and switch the camera to On. Let the camera sit for about 15 minutes with the switch On. This should perform a "hard" reset.

Turn the switch off and reinsert the batteries. Turn the camera on and test again.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    I believe that the Canon 40D can be used without a card present in the card bay. Make sure that a CF card is in the card bay.

If there is a CF card in the camera, try a factory reset:

1. Open the "Tools" tab.

2. Navigate to the "Clear All Camera Settings" option. Press the "Set" button to select it. A confirmation prompt will appear on the screen.

3. Turn the navigation dial to highlight "OK," then press the "Set" button to make the selection.

Barring that, just remove the main battery "and" the CMOS backup battery and switch the camera to On. Let the camera sit for about 15 minutes with the switch On. This should perform a "hard" reset.

Turn the switch off and reinsert the batteries. Turn the camera on and test again.

Thanks ever so much Ziggy. I had a look at it this afternoon and there is an obvious fault as the mirror is not completing its full movement when depressing the shutter button. I have asked if he had interfered with the mirror or dropped the camera but he says not so I have no idea what could have caused this. He has taken it in for an estimate/repair.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited October 7, 2013
    canon400d wrote: »
    I had a look at it this afternoon and there is an obvious fault as the mirror is not completing its full movement when depressing the shutter button. I have asked if he had interfered with the mirror or dropped the camera but he says not so I have no idea what could have caused this. He has taken it in for an estimate/repair.
    I suspect he didn't do anything. I had the same problem with a 40D - it was fine one day but not the next. The mirror locked up and stayed up until I powered the camera off and back on again. Tried to take a photo again and the same thing happened. It was time to send it in for repair...

I remember hearing about other people with the same experience with the 40D.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    I suspect he didn't do anything. I had the same problem with a 40D - it was fine one day but not the next. The mirror locked up and stayed up until I powered the camera off and back on again. Tried to take a photo again and the same thing happened. It was time to send it in for repair...

--- Denise
    Thanks Denise. I used this camera for a couple of years and had no trouble whatsoever before moving up to a 7D 2010. Since then it has had no use until I sold it a couple of months ago. The 40D gave me fantastic service for the rallies I attended.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013
    Happened to me once when the 40D was almost new. I tried Ziggy's battery removal procedure described above - plus a little incantation of my own devising - and the problem fixed itself and has never happened again. I have been a bit cautious about overdoing the high speed shooting ever since as that was what I was doing when the mirror stuck.

I suppose you checked the obvious and your buyer had not enabled mirror lock-up? Then it is supposed to stay up until you press the shutter again.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    Happened to me once when the 40D was almost new. I tried Ziggy's battery removal procedure described above - plus a little incantation of my own devising - and the problem fixed itself and has never happened again. I have been a bit cautious about overdoing the high speed shooting ever since as that was what I was doing when the mirror stuck.

I suppose you checked the obvious and your buyer had not enabled mirror lock-up? Then it is supposed to stay up until you press the shutter again.
    Yes Chris I checked the mirror lock-up and it was not enabled. When I pressed the shutter button. I could see in the LCD that about 1/2" of the exposure at the top of the LCD which suggested that it hadn't fully opened.He has been using it in 'S' mode as he doesn't understand the workings. Of course it would be rattling off 6 FPS on a regular basis. However, he said it was ok when he finished shooting it was only when he wanted to use the camera a couple of days later.
    Bob
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2013
    I had the same problem with a 40D - it was fine one day but not the next. The mirror locked up and stayed up until I powered the camera off and back on again. Tried to take a photo again and the same thing happened. It was time to send it in for repair...

--- Denise

the repair cost ($>200) is likely to exceed the selling cost of an old 40D today
  • Options
    rcrjphotosrcrjphotos Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2013
    canon400d wrote: »
    Hi Ziggy another one for you!
    I recently parted with one of my first cameras a 40D. The guy I sold it to only uses Auto and 'S' mode. He contacted me today to say that when in Auto he takes a pic he only gets a black screen on his LCD. I told him to try AV and it was the same. Any ideas as to what he has done or has happened. I am having to travel and see him tomorrow.
    Best
    Bob

Has he tried putting a compact flash card in it? Sounds stupid but you never know.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2013
    rcrjphotos wrote: »
    Has he tried putting a compact flash card in it? Sounds stupid but you never know.

Yes I told him to try that and he has now got a result. It needs a new shutter and mirror motor set and is costing me £261. To be honest it is more than the camera is worth on the market.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    Stage Two ImagingStage Two Imaging Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 5, 2013
    Its likely that the camera would have reached its maximum shutter count therefore would end up not working as it normally should. Rattling off shots at 6fps on a regular basis would mean a couple years usage would see the shutter mechanism "tire out" as it were. The shutter mechanism typically has a lifespan for around 200,000 shots.

Dan.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2013
    ... The shutter mechanism typically has a lifespan for around 200,000 shots. ...

The Canon 40D has a Shutter Durability Rating of 100,000 cycles, the same as the 30D through the 70D. (I believe that both the 10D and 20D were rated at 50,000 cycles.) For more information see the individual camera's press releases, plus the shutter ratings information at The Digital Picture:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon/products?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e0248004d295 (Look under "Enhanced Durability")

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-40D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx (Look for the chart about 2/3 of the page down with the "Shutter Durability Rating" for many Canon dSLR cameras.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2013
    The Canon 40D has a Shutter Durability Rating of 100,000 cycles, the same as the 30D through the 70D. (I believe that both the 10D and 20D were rated at 50,000 cycles.) For more information see the individual camera's press releases, plus the shutter ratings information at The Digital Picture:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon/products?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e0248004d295 (Look under "Enhanced Durability")

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-40D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx (Look for the chart about 2/3 of the page down with the "Shutter Durability Rating" for many Canon dSLR cameras.)

I believe the "ratings" for shutter life is more of a marketing term than any real predictable number!
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2013
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    I believe the "ratings" for shutter life is more of a marketing term than any real predictable number!

The manufacturer ratings are what the manufacturer uses for determining whether the shutter and/or mirror box assemblies will be repaired under warranty, assuming that the warranty time has not expired. From that perspective, the "shutter actuations rating" is very much a hard figure.

I agree that the shutter life and mirror box life in any particular camera body will often fall well before or well beyond the manufacturer ratings, for better or worse (from a user perspective).

Part of any product durability too relates to user handling, which is obviously beyond any manufacturer control. If the product is exposed to extremes in temperatures, for instance, that alone can have a strong influence on product life.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2013
    The manufacturer ratings are what the manufacturer uses for determining whether the shutter and/or mirror box assemblies will be repaired under warranty, assuming that the warranty time has not expired. From that perspective, the "shutter actuations rating" is very much a hard figure.

if the camera is within the warranty period (usually a year) then I suspect Canon would repair it whether the shutter count was 10 or 100,000 or 200,000 or whatever. Sure, at some point they certainly did extensive testing but I think the technology is very similar with electro-mechanical shutters and not surprisingly the "ratings" all all appear to be around 100,000. (1D series excepted!) And if you read the shutter sob stories on camera forums many of the failures seem to be around 100,000, some less, some more - .... perhaps if ever plotted it would show a nice bell curve !
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2013
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    if the camera is within the warranty period (usually a year) then I suspect Canon would repair it whether the shutter count was 10 or 100,000 or 200,000 or whatever. Sure, at some point they certainly did extensive testing but I think the technology is very similar with electro-mechanical shutters and not surprisingly the "ratings" all all appear to be around 100,000. (1D series excepted!) And if you read the shutter sob stories on camera forums many of the failures seem to be around 100,000, some less, some more - .... perhaps if ever plotted it would show a nice bell curve !

Very interesting indeed.
    Bob
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2013
    We're getting tangential here but there is an independent database of user data relating to shutter failures, complete with some really implausible entries:

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

From that site and their 40D page (http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos40d.htm):

"Average number of actuations after which shutter is still alive: 48,477.0
    Average number of actuations after which shutter died: 86,181.6"
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2013
    We're getting tangential here but there is an independent database of user data relating to shutter failures, complete with some really implausible entries:

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

From that site and their 40D page (http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos40d.htm):

"Average number of actuations after which shutter is still alive: 48,477.0
    Average number of actuations after which shutter died: 86,181.6"

looks to be an old site. I suspect many of those 30D shutters have gone to the big shutter in the sky!