Options

How to set featured photo for password protected gallery?

NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
edited October 7, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I'm hunting all around... someone please make me feel like an idiot and tell me, "It's right here - under your nose!"

I really hoped it would be under the Tools | Use As menu, but that just has Watermark and Printmark; no Featured Photo.

Help!

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Nimai wrote: »
    I'm hunting all around... someone please make me feel like an idiot and tell me, "It's right here - under your nose!"

I really hoped it would be under the Tools | Use As menu, but that just has Watermark and Printmark; no Featured Photo.

Help!
    In the gallery Click customize > gallery settings
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    @ Allen
    I can't make that method to work ... for a password protected gallery, if you choose a photo from within the gallery, it does not show in the thumbnail.
    The only way I have got it to work is to load a second image to another gallery. Then go to Settings for the Password prtected gallery and choose this second image to be the thumbnail for the private gallery. It is awkward ... but I can't find a straight forward solution.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    I can't make that method to work ... for a password protected gallery

I just tried for my password protected gallery, and I was able to select an image as the featured photo, and it does use it.

@AceCo55 - does it show the thumbnail in the Organizer view?
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    @ Allen
    I can't make that method to work ... for a password protected gallery, if you choose a photo from within the gallery, it does not show in the thumbnail.
    The only way I have got it to work is to load a second image to another gallery. Then go to Settings for the Password prtected gallery and choose this second image to be the thumbnail for the private gallery. It is awkward ... but I can't find a straight forward solution.
    "External Embedding" has to be on.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    The way the New SmugMug behaves actually helped me to find some portrait galleries I had neglected to properly password protect! :)
    However, it also shows the severity of the problem. My Portrait Folder has no thumbnail, despite the galleries it contains having featured photos.

Can't go live like this!
    o5ko.jpg

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    Nimai wrote: »
    The way the New SmugMug behaves actually helped me to find some portrait galleries I had neglected to properly password protect! :)
    However, it also shows the severity of the problem. My Portrait Folder has no thumbnail, despite the galleries it contains having featured photos.

Can't go live like this!

Am I missing something?
    Did you try to add a feature photo to the folder.
    Organizer "highlight folder on left" > settings

External Embedding must be on for gallery drawing the featured photo from.
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    "External Embedding" has to be on.

Oh Allen ... you are a champion!!! Thank you so much (once again) for sharing your knowledge so freely.
    I'm a much happier camper now - a lot simpler to set feature photo!!!!
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    Just to close the loop on my issue - I didn't realize that I could pick any photo from inside any gallery and make it my Folder's featured image. I thought I had to pick a GALLERY and it's featured photo would become the Folder's featured image too... Interesting! I just had a totally different assumption about how Folder featured images worked. Wow.

Thanks, everyone, for your help - including SmugMug hero Scott.