Options

Newly-Created Smart Galleries not Showing Pics

JHDesignJHDesign Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited November 12, 2013 in Bug Reporting
I at first thought this was an indexing problem (now I am not so sure) so there is also a similar posting to an existing thread about the indexing problem.

What I have been able to do, easily, in the past in order to privately share photo galleries with clients or friends:
Tag individual photos with keywords for indexing. Create a smart gallery based on this keyword and assign the gallery a password. Create a share group and choose the smart gallery to be in that share group. If I password-protect the share group, I assign it the same password as the smart gallery (which means in this case since my site is also locked down with a password, yes, they have to enter the assigned pw twice). This enables me to give a pw protected access to outside parties.

What is happening now:
For photos I loaded last week, I tried to do the above, expecting no snags. The keyword appears to be indexed as it shows up in my list of indexed keywords. I select the keyword to smartify my gallery and the smart gallery appears to populate and exist as a new gallery and all is well. I create my share group with no problem, setting the same password as assigned to the gallery--all as above, except now, this is what happens: visitor is able to access gallery with pw provided and all is fine except the photos are not actually there, only placeholders. Same number of photos, descriptions (if exist), and orientation of the photos all there but broken link icons where photo should be (red "x" for IE, broken doc icon for Chrome.)

What I tried:
1. Not pw protecting share group or smart gallery. Didn't make a difference.
2. Doing the usual set-up again (smart gallery shared through a share group) with photos loaded and indexed months ago, using the same protocol as above (to make sure I wasn't going senile and had my procedure down) and everything works fine; all is visible to outside users.

What I tried again:
Deleted all test smart galleries and share groups associated with this specific cross-eyed odyssey and started over, again trying again to reference a smart gallery created from recently uploaded and indexed photos. Same result: smart gallery appears to populate while I am logged in as a smugmugger; no problem setting up the share group and assigning the gallery to it; no problem as a pretend 3rd party user accessing the link and submitting pw to gain access to site but no photos are there, only placeholders.

Why I think the Problem is Likely the Smart Gallery Run Amuck:
(not the photos themselves, pw-protection set-up, or even share group issues)

Process of elimination:
1. Can link to original photos
Used my same procedure above to link directly to the original gallery that contains the same photos (as well as others) that I had tried to keyword and separate out into a smart gallery. No problem at all setting up a pw-protected share group connection to these original-gallery photos directly. (BUT I don't want to do this since there are other photos in that gallery I DON'T want to share.)

2. Passwords aren't the problem
I also tried a non-password protected smart gallery w/ a non pw protected share group and the images are still hidden when accessed remotely (although signed in as my smugmug self, everything looks hunky dory). Photos still hidden from external link.

3. Sharegroup isn't the problem
I tried accessing the smart gallery directly, not through a share group and not pw-protected. Access possible but again, photos are hidden.

Old Smart Galleries Okay
External parties can still see/access all previously created pw-protected smart galleries, including one created as recently as September. I can also create new share groups that access and pull in these old smart galleries, so those are all still okay.

But newly created smart galleries, even after it appears that the keywords are fully indexed, are still hidden from external views--why?:huh

Comments

• Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    I wish I could change the title of this thread to only read "not showing pics" since I think I've established that it's a smart gallery, not a sharegroup problem.

Also, I should have said, I am still using legacy sm.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    JHDesign wrote: »
    I wish I could change the title of this thread to only read "not showing pics" since I think I've established that it's a smart gallery, not a sharegroup problem.

Also, I should have said, I am still using legacy sm.
    Changed the name for you.

I'm starting to get some of the tagged photos showing up in my smart galleries. Very slow.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Changed the name for you.

I'm starting to get some of the tagged photos showing up in my smart galleries. Very slow.

Thanks for the title change.

I'm curious if by this you mean what you see while you are logged in as a smugmug user, or what is seen when others log in remotely. Because when I'm in my smugmug world, everything seems fine--all the photos are populating my smart gallery just fine. But when I give out the link to the smart gallery for others to see (or I test this myself from another browser), the gallery is accessible but the photos are hidden.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    It's been hours and remote linkers still can't see contents of the gallery. Before giving up I'm just uploading the keyword-specific pics into their own gallery so a smart gallery won't be necessary. A really stupid way to do things, to have more than one copy of the same files on the server, really against the engineer side of my soul, but I'm desperate. Next I'll be forced to just give up my smugmug hope, as well as some privacy/security and just upload the files to a free photo site so I can get them to the recipients. Very frustrating and irritating since I pay for this service so I can have trouble-free, secure photo sharing. Being able to customize who sees what and under what level of privacy is why I joined smugmug some years ago so if I get to where I can't use smart galleries I'll be forced to look for another online photo solution. I'm really bummed because I've been a really happy customer until now.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    It's been hours and remote linkers still can't see contents of the gallery. Before giving up I'm just uploading the keyword-specific pics into their own gallery so a smart gallery won't be necessary. A really stupid way to do things, to have more than one copy of the same files on the server, really against the engineer side of my soul, but I'm desperate. Next I'll be forced to just give up my smugmug hope, as well as some privacy/security and just upload the files to a free photo site so I can get them to the recipients. Very frustrating and irritating since I pay for this service so I can have trouble-free, secure photo sharing. Being able to customize who sees what and under what level of privacy is why I joined smugmug some years ago so if I get to where I can't use smart galleries I'll be forced to look for another online photo solution. I'm really bummed because I've been a really happy customer until now.

I did the insanity above--reloaded the pics I want to share, afresh, into a new pw protected gallery and just gave the link directly to that. This solution has me happy for the moment because at least I was able to fulfill my promise and deliver the images. But this sort of solution isn't sustainable of course. The smart gallery that was giving me trouble is still doing it's hidden image thang, hours after all this began. I'm going to give it a day or two and report back whether or not the issue has resolved itself. I want the multiple hours back that I spent trying to figure this out, but for now I can brush my hands together and walk away to focus on other things!
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    What visitors see when they link to my smart gallery
    Please see attached image. User can access gallery and descriptions but images are not displayed. I also experimented with unlisting the gallery (since I'd seen a bug mentioned with recently-created pw-protected galleries) and not pw protecting it and it doesn't make a difference (images still not there.) My whole site is pw-protected but I have no trouble giving pw protected access to individual newly-created galleries as long as they are NOT smart galleries. My previously-created smart galleries (also unlisted and pw protected) are still accessible.

Is this the slow-indexing problem, or not? Is this what it looks like? Because when I'm signed into Smugmug I can see my smart gallery populated with images and there is no hint of this issue until I try to create access for others to see it too. Can someone please advise?

Thank you.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    Signs are Legacy is Not the Same Old
    I asked my questions through the help desk and was told I now must do something different, that I have never needed to do previously, in order for my unlisted pw-protected smart galleries to be seen by a guest link. I was told I must be sure to check "Yes" to the External Links question in Gallery Settings in the original gallery.

What wasn't explained to me is why this is now necessary when it never was, previously? (I always check that box "no" and have it checked "no" right now on galleries that are populating unlisted pw-protected smart galleries that are still happily viewable by guest links.) So without understanding the "whys" of this, for some reason the original gallery I created in October isn't the same sort of beasty really, as my old original galleries? Including one I set up as recently as September. Clear as mud.

I want to believe that after I have time to deal with the migration that all of my smart gallery issues will magically disappear but I'm finding myself feeling uneasy. I'm posting all this here in case there is someone else out there who has lost hours of work time (like me) trying to figure out a smart gallery access glitch.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    I asked my questions through the help desk and was told I now must do something different, that I have never needed to do previously, in order for my unlisted pw-protected smart galleries to be seen by a guest link. I was told I must be sure to check "Yes" to the External Links question in Gallery Settings in the original gallery.

What wasn't explained to me is why this is now necessary when it never was, previously? (I always check that box "no" and have it checked "no" right now on galleries that are populating unlisted pw-protected smart galleries that are still happily viewable by guest links.) So without understanding the "whys" of this, for some reason the original gallery I created in October isn't the same sort of beasty really, as my old original galleries? Including one I set up as recently as September. Clear as mud.

I want to believe that after I have time to deal with the migration that all of my smart gallery issues will magically disappear but I'm finding myself feeling uneasy. I'm posting all this here in case there is someone else out there who has lost hours of work time (like me) trying to figure out a smart gallery access glitch.

The help desk got back with me and said the following:

"We do have an open bug being investigated for this behavior. The external links being enabled shouldn't be required, you are correct, but for now, it will help while we're digging into this. It's been difficult for us to track down, but we're working on it now and we hope to have a resolution soon."
  • Options
    TmartinTmartin Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 12, 2013
    I use the Smart Galleries feature a lot because we work with Theatre Companies and they like to share production images with Cast and Crew. The file size for the Theatres are high resolution giving them the ability to download so the Smart Galleries allow us to create galleries for the cast and crew with small file sizes. In concept this is great but it takes forever for the system to even recognize the Smart Galleries, sometimes several hours. I get time out errors but in the mean time none of the galleries within the folder of the new Smart Gallery are visible, they just up and disappear. I really look forward to them working this bug out.