Options

1 & 1 domain name

Paul WestlakePaul Westlake Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
edited October 7, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Hi,
I'm new here & new to building my own websites too, so I can probably think of a few more idiot questions than most.
This particular IQ is why cant I get a 1&1 domain name up at the top of my page? It points at it, but Smugmug don't support 1&1 DNS (written in red at the bottom of the help page)
I just want to know that's all...

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 7, 2013
    Paul, you can use it but we do not offer support setting it up as 1&1 has some very weird issues with their setup. No other domain host does it and I have given up trying to make it work.

We require a very simple www CNAME record pointed at domains.smugmug.com and an @ A record pointed at 208.79.45.23 to make most domains work. Subdomains only need the CNAME record.

We have found through the complaints from many 1and1 customers that for some reason if you setup the www record, the email tied to the domain stops working. There are other issues but that is the big one. Other domain hosts are so much easier to setup.

When customers ask, we simply suggest that you use a domain host that allows you to edit the CNAME and A records.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Paul WestlakePaul Westlake Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Thanks Doc, it all makes perfect sense to me, but that does tie in with the warning on the 1&1 page that changing the settings can foul up the e-mail.
    I will give it another go from this end, see if I can get something going, but things are fine as they stand at the moment.
    TTFN.