Options

Which ones for Mini #174

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
edited October 7, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
In the past I've only asked for help AFTER I posted something. But I've got the feeling that I should be asking before I decide. And this time, since I asked about posting places which no longer exist, I feel an obligation to post an old photo of something that is no longer there. I am finding that my old slide/film photos are better for postcards than the digital ones that I'm taking now. (This is discouraging.)

I've got it winnowed down to about 12 possibilities - so PLEASE help me pick (with reasons).

(If I knew which ones were best, I would ask - each of these have what I perceive as a flaw, so you won't hurt my feelings)

Fishmarket in Lisbon (no longer exists)

1833-00320007.JPG

Bermuda - 2011 - Black Watch Pass

IMG_0496.JPG

Wacci Wachi mermaid show 1967, but we went again in 2005. Now Defunct and gone out of business

x4769-90590_17.jpg

Nuremberg Germany (again 1964)

000002010023.jpg

Cypress Gardens - 1967 - water skiing show which is now Defunct

00140027.JPG

The bridge at Avignon - 1964 (this one is still there)

x2111-00430019.JPG

Jefferson Key - Dry Tortugas FL 2005

x1225-100_6949.JPG

Lisbon in 1964

1849-00320023.JPG

Lighthouse in Key West in 1968

00820019.JPG

I did a painting of this lighthouse at the time this is the painting I did with an inset of an actual old post card

1036952-My_first_painting_Key_West_lighthouse-Key_West.jpg

Because the lighthouse now looks like this

651428-Lighthouse_2002-Key_West.jpg

Fort Pulaski - 2005

x100_8134.JPG

This is a fisherman at the fish market in Lisbon - they wore plaid in those days like Scotland. Again 1964

1831-00320005.JPG

Potomac - New Years morning 2013 from the US 301 bridge

IMG_5180.JPG
“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 7, 2013
    Outside of the very first recorded postcard that was a hand made drawing that was suppose to be a practical joke for the post office, the original post cards and to this day, are created actually as advertisements to places to visit or a particular brand. Thus, it would go to say, that post card should reflect a reason to go someplace. Like these you have taken (although some of the past, it still gives a sense of being an interesting place to visit), are the ones I feel have the most 'post card feel' to them. I have added my critique to each image below:

Cypress Gardens - 1967 - water skiing show which is now Defunct
    This picture captures something exciting action that this place has. Image quality is a little grainy and definitely something that could maybe be perked up in post processing. But I do realize that you shot this long time ago and it lost a lot in the scanning it to the computer.
    00140027.JPG

The bridge at Avignon - 1964 (this one is still there)
    This would fit as an interesting point of interest to this place. Its not a super strong image and I kind of wish to have seen it from the other bank looking back at it. One thing I do like about the quality for an old picture, is the old feel to the picture. The tonal and grainy effect kind of works for this image.
    x2111-00430019.JPG

Lisbon in 1964
    Out of all the images, this one is my favorite for the postcard theme! The angle, the street cars, the buildings, and the people, all seem to be a great representation of Lisbon. My only nit is that the missing front of the street car at the bottom of the picture and the half sailor man on the walk. But that is not something that could have been avoided if your lens was just not wide enough. I would not have wanted the sky to be totally taken out either, so it is what it is and not a big deal, just my opinion. Lovely image!
    1849-00320023.JPG

Lighthouse in Key West in 1968
    I really like this one too. It is my second favorite of what you posted. I am guessing that there is a submarine exhibit right in front of the Lighthouse? I am thinking that if a different angle such as moving to the right and getting the whole submarine in would had made this a stronger image. Also I am not sure what I am seeing that is dark in the background trees? But as content would have for the lighthouse, this would be a good subject for a postcard.
    00820019.JPG

Fort Pulaski - 2005
    This is my 3rd favorite, it has some interest to it for me as a post card. I am not sure if I like the foreground tripod and cannon in the shot, although it holds some curiosity to me to the actual function of the tripod contraption. I think maybe this shot would have gone over better from the other side of the hall looking back in this direction you were standing? Anyway, all said and done, this is an interesting picture. I like the lighting and the perspective of the arches.
    x100_8134.JPG
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Thank you - that was exactly what I wanted. I am very unhappy with the Cypress Gardens shot - something about the colors does not appeal to me. I have other pictures taken at the show but I was of course on the beach and I did not have any fancy lenses to get a closer photo. The action is semi-obscured in this one - I think there are two men on water skis each with a woman hanging upside down by one leg on his shoulder.

00140014.JPG

and there is also this one

00140022.JPG

but the ramp in the back is in an unfortunate position. This one is I think a better composition, but less exciting

00140018.JPG

The advantage of the one with the sail is that it is labeled as to the location - I see that the ramps in the background are also labeled in this one.

I also love the photo of the trolley cars in Lisbon, and I agree completely that it is unfortunate that the front of one car is cut off. I suppose I could crop some of the foreground out and eliminate the sailor. It is a photo I took on the way back from visiting the fish market.

Most of the actual post cards of the bridge at Avignon are taken from ground level
    avignon.jpg

and I don't like these views as much. Of course it also could be that I am prejudiced because I don't HAVE any photos from the other bank (it is hard to get there by car)

The lighthouse DID have a little submarine in front of it. That view was the one I painted, and I didn't put the sub in my painting. I took a couple other photos, but this one has electric lines in it.

00820016.JPG

00820017.JPG

and this one has a funny palm tree

This one might be better although it still cuts off the end of the sub

00820018.JPG

I agree about the photo of Fort Pulaski. I was really looking for this one of Fort Jefferson

x1244-100_6970.JPG

which amuses me because of the girl in the bikini but this one of Fort Morgan might be a better photo

x100_3924.JPG
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”