Options

Someone else's picture in one of my galleries

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited December 15, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Today I discovered someone else (identity unknown) had added a photo to one of my private SmugMug galleries. Has anyone else had this happen? I deleted the photo (which was non-offensive) but it was unsettling. Anyone know how this can happen?

The gallery involved is http://flyinggina.smugmug.com/gallery/992956

Virginia

Email

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    I dunno, but I'd change my password if I were you.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Today I discovered someone else (identity unknown) had added a photo to one of my private SmugMug galleries. Has anyone else had this happen? I deleted the photo (which was non-offensive) but it was unsettling. Anyone know how this can happen?

The gallery involved is http://flyinggina.smugmug.com/gallery/992956

Virginia

Virginia, did you ever log on at someone else's pc? This can't happen unless it's done by someone who has your password.

Change your password, and you'll be fine. If it ever happens again, let us know.

Thanks!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    Is there no possibility that there's a bug somewhere?
    Andy wrote:
    Virginia, did you ever log on at someone else's pc? This can't happen unless it's done by someone who has your password.

Change your password, and you'll be fine. If it ever happens again, let us know.

Thanks!
    I think you mean "it's not supposed to happen" unless someone else has your password. Are you 100% sure there couldn't be a rare system bug that caused this?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    I think you mean "it's not supposed to happen" unless someone else has your password. Are you 100% sure there couldn't be a rare system bug that caused this?

Hi John, thanks for posting.

I'll let Onethumb answer that question - but I'm feeling certain, yeah. 100% of the time this issue has come up it's been due to the customer giving out the password, giving and forgetting a guest password, or leaving themselves logged in at another's computer.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Just keeping you on your toes
    Andy wrote:
    Hi John, thanks for posting.

I'll let Onethumb answer that question - but I'm feeling certain, yeah. 100% of the time this issue has come up it's been due to the customer giving out the password, giving and forgetting a guest password, or leaving themselves logged in at another's computer.
    That would be good news if you have experience that this is nearly always a customer password/login issue.

But, since I make my living in the software business, I'm always skeptical when a situation arises and there is no detail provided that could determine exactly what the root cause of this problem was and it isn't even acknowledged that there is a possibility (perhaps even a low probability) of a system bug.

Does smugmug keep any logs that could track down what time/date a particular image was uploaded, what IP address it was uploaded from, what type of uploader was used and/or whether it came through a guest login or a main login?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Thanks, Andy. In the course of recent travels, I have used 2 computers other than my own. I checked in on dgrin a lot but don't think I logged into my smugmug account. I doubt that anyone at either home would have taken or posted the photo in question, but changing my smugmug password seems to be a wise idea in any case. Better change my dgrin password too. :):

Virginia

Email