Options

Looking for monopod and head suggestion

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited October 14, 2013 in Accessories
I'm looking for a monopod and head to support my Canon 1DIII and Canon 300mm f2.8L IS lens version 1. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2013
    P-Pod from Giotos ... ... I have used mine with D3 + Bigma it has a tiltable head on it with a QR, that I attach a arca swiss mount to, to allow the use of my arca typle QR system...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2013
    Very, VERY few pros I know use a head on a monopod unless they are 6'3 or taller. There are a lot of good monopods out there in different price ranges. If you want to drop a lot of coin, look into the Gitzo's or Really Right Stuff. Mid-priced stuff like the Manfrottos can be good. i have a Manfrotto 681b that is priced very reasonably and does a terrific job. I've had some big glass on it, and it's performed well. I also have an induro CM34 Carbon Fiber monopod that is my main monopod now. I bought carbon fiber because it's lighter, stronger, it's damped better, and it doesn't burn my hands in the heat or freeze my hands in the cold. I could have bought any monopod on the market when I bought these two as price was not a significant factor to me. Performance and value were. Take that for what it's worth.

I see you asked this on S.S. and got much the same answers...
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2013
    I never use a head on my monopod and typically mount a D3 or D700 on a 300mm, f2.8. There really is no need for the swivel function when shooting sports.

Like Art, I have a P-pod from Giotos. It's very sturdy but a bit heavy. It has the ability to swivel the head, but I have never used that function. I also have a Gitzo CF monopod which is quite light but not quite as tall or sturdy as my Giotos.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,798 moderator
    edited October 13, 2013
    I'm always the odd one here for sports. mwink.gif

I used a tripod with a video fluid head for shooting sports. When I was packed in with the players on the sidelines of (American) football, I'd keep the legs folded in, rather using it like a monopod. When I was pretty much by myself I expanded the legs to use the full stability of the tripod.

The fluid head allowed me to track the action easily, even though I kept the drag very loose.

Use the tripod ring on most long lenses to switch from landscape to portrait orientation, and for leveling.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2013
    I couldn't even imagine trying to track soccer or football on a tripod. Not for stills. Going from a QB to a WR 50 yards downfield, getting focus and getting the ball on the fingertips... It's a challenge even hand-held! :)
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2013
    I use a tilt head (not a ball head) on my monopod and find it very helpful. For macro work, I have it set so that it allows me to tilt up and down. For other purposes, I have it set so that I can switch to portrait mode in a pinch.

Tilt heads are inexpensive, with one big caveat: if you want arca-swiss compatibility, be prepared to pay a lot. I decided that I did want that, and I ended up with the Kirk MPA-2 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=kirk+mpa-2&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ta). it costs $200, and it is quite heavy, but it is beautifully machined and works very smoothly.

When shopping for monopods, the impression I got is that in contrast to tripods, it didn't make that much difference which I bought. There are quite a number of moderately priced carbon fiber monopods. I ended up with an Oben (the B&H store brand), which has worked well.